• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is not a big supprise. The State Police had huge failuer rate with their Glocks. When they tested XD's againsed Glocks the XD won every time. Saddly Glock cut deal with the _(&W#(@)HDI)&& bureaucrats so the troops are still carrying Glocks.

Talking about the problem when having a light attached?

Was some of the .40's, but it's been addressed.

I'm sure XD's are nice and all but some of us don't like that TALL slide, but XD's have had problems of their own.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The State Police had huge failuer rate with their Glocks. When they tested XD's againsed Glocks the XD won every time. Saddly Glock cut deal with the _(&W#(@)HDI)&& bureaucrats so the troops are still carrying Glocks.

I think you've got your signals crossed a bit. A few years ago, ISP tested several different guns and chose the G22 to replace their Beretta 96Gs. Once the guns started to get fielded, reliability problems started popping up in some of the guns. Glock's first attempts at addressing the issue met with failure, but rather than let the manufacturer work completely through the situation and make it right, the ISP basically got impatient and wanted to replace the pistols.

Glock offered to trade out their G22s on a one-for-one basis. Since the ISP had already purchased all the support gear (holsters, mag pouches, etc) for the full-size Glock platform, they decided that staying with Glock made the most financial sense. That left them to choose between the G17 and G31, and since the ISP had previously issued 9mm pistols, the capabilities of that cartridge were known to them. The ISP swapped their G22s for G17s and selected a 124gr +P duty load, and from everything I've heard, the troopers have been pretty happy with the combination.

I know there are members here who have firsthand knowledge of that whole situation; I invite them to chime in and set me straight if I've summarized things incorrectly.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    This is not a big supprise. The State Police had huge failuer rate with their Glocks. When they tested XD's againsed Glocks the XD won every time. Saddly Glock cut deal with the _(&W#(@)HDI)&& bureaucrats so the troops are still carrying Glocks.

Which is a good thing. Sounds like you've never fired a Glock before. Might want to give it a try and form your own opinion based on your personal factual evidence.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I own both Glocks and Xd's... I have never saw anything from either as to where I would give one a landslide advantage over the other...well, at least for now. I reserve the right to change my opinion. If I don't find the small spring for the loaded chamber indicator on the floor here in quick order, I might have a different opinion after I get off the phone with customer service at Springfield. I sure hope they have made getting parts a little easier than it has been in the past.

ChaoticMunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    MSG2 - Lawrence, IN
    I think you've got your signals crossed a bit. A few years ago, ISP tested several different guns and chose the G22 to replace their Beretta 96Gs.

My Lieutenant and former-Sargent are both retired ISP troopers and both had the Beretta. When they got hired by MCSD they were issued Glock 22s and neither of them can stand the Glock. They carry them and qualify at the range with them only because they have to, but both would much rather a Beretta.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Help!! Asking on behalf of my BIL a new Glock 19 owner.What is the break-in period before these become reliable? His new G is jamming badly, with various FMJ ammo brands and with 5 different Glock factory mags. FTFs, FTEs you name it. He is an LEO whose duty gun is a Glock 17 and which he says will only jam seldomly, so I think operator error is out. Maybe 300 rds so far have been fired.

but glucks are made by the hand of god and never fail to fire. I hear they even fire with no bullets they are so good :draw::draw:
    I even hear a empty mag held in the hand can cure most diseases.

Actually all kinds of guns have issues sometimes but cant resist the dig.
    Im sure you will get it ironed out.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My Lieutenant and former-Sargent are both retired ISP troopers and both had the Beretta. When they got hired by MCSD they were issued Glock 22s and neither of them can stand the Glock. They carry them and qualify at the range with them only because they have to, but both would much rather a Beretta.

and the Army had 1911's before they went to Beretta and nobody was happy about it....

oh... what was your point? :dunno:

rxcrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Clark County
    I would be on the phone with Glock ASAP. They have great customer service and they stand behind their product. I own multiple Glocks and have never had an issue. I would say they need to check out your pistol

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My 19 was new out of the box and I had no problems. I had 2 stovepipe in the first 20 rounds as I got used to it. But since that I've shot 600 rounds through it no problems.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds through my carry G22, and another 1000+ rounds through other glocks of various calibers, zero FTF, FTE on any of them.

I have yet to shoot a Gen4 Glock however.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm sure XD's are nice and all but some of us don't like that TALL slide, but XD's have had problems of their own.

That's actually quite normal. The slide height is comparable to a 1911 and no one complains about how tall a 1911 slide is.

To the OP: It doesn't look like you're dealing with break in period here. There is something wrong with the gun. Contact the manufacturer and I'm sure they'll set you up.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    My 23 has been trouble free, but I've kept it lubed, see below.

A friend has a 17 that gave him trouble a while back. I shot it and experienced the same failures he did. So, I took it apart, and discovered that he had completely removed the faintest hint of lubrication from the slide/contact rails. He thought that was the way it should be. I added a drop to each of the 4 contacts, and it was flawless from that point forward. Just my (limited) experience.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log

Forgive me, but this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I guess I'm just lucky.. I"ve owned a number of glocks 17, 30, 38, 37, and probably one or two I've forgotten. A the moment I have 2 19s and a 26.. I've never had a failure to fire other than one hard primer issue and that was after I had changed the firing pin spring to a lighter one to improve trigger pull.. Needless to say I changed it back and never another issue with that pistol.. They might have their problems but being unreliable is one I've never experienced.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    It has been said before in this thread but, as an armorer, there is no break in period. The 17 is harder to "limp wrist" than the 19. Have a couple others shoot the gun and if they have the same problem, have him take it to his dept. armorer and have that armorer contact Glock. They will most likely have him ship the gun back, go through it, and either send it back (with the problem corrected) or a replacement, free of charge. Just make sure the armorer stresses the different shooters, ammo, and mags to Glock.

With all of that said, don't let anyone else mess with it or Glock will charge to make it right.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Several shooters have fired this pistol and all have malfunctions. I polished the chamber with a Flitz soaked bore mop on a section of rod chucked in a drill and did some slicking up of the feed ramp ,... these have helped dramatically and have reduced failures by maybe 50%. He has a Wolff recoil spring and guide rod to be installed and test fired today and purchased some 9mm 124 gr Nato ammo in the thought that the more powerful ( compared to 115 gr fmj) recoil pulse will help. Thanks for all the time/advice and will report results later. Pistol is always fired well lubed with G96.

Top Bottom