• ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    glocks are good

i have several glocks 19,21,23,23,27 and they are all great weapons,but nothing has the same feel as the colt 1
    colt1911006.jpg
    911....:twocents: would pick my colt over a glock any day

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Lastly, GLOCK IS STILL THE BEST COMBAT PISTOL EVER MADE!

That's right you cannot have a better pistol by your side when the fertilizer hits the propeller. Simplicity, functionability, reliability!! You just can't beat it. The feel in your hand, the trigger reset, magazines, aftermarket parts, ease of use, accuracy etc. I could go on for ever about this but I won't.

Favor whatever handgun you want, good for you. But you cannot deny the combat effectiveness of the Glock.

I personally can deny the combat effectiveness of the Glock as I have never used it in combat (real combat, where people die). I have (and the US Military) used the Beretta M9 on many fronts, and it has NEVER failed me. You do have to ask a serious question though.....if the Glock is so combat effective, why don't more nation's use it as their PRIMARY duty weapon?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Glock owners are the Conservatives of the gun world. We don't say everyone has to own a Glock, but there's a lot of people who want to say why no one should own a Glock. So if your not a conservative Glock owner you must be a.........what's that word.......starts with lib and ends with al?

:popcorn: :laugh: :ingo: rocks!!!!!!!!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    :twocents: would pick my colt over a glock any day

But. . . but. . . what if you were about to be attacked by 9 bad guys! :D

...if the Glock is so combat effective, why don't more nation's use it as their PRIMARY duty weapon?

Politics and the lack of a manual safety? :dunno:

And I will counter with . . . . if the M9 is so combat effective, why don't more LE agencies worldwide use it as their PRIMARY duty weapon?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Ok, I will try not to bite on this one too hard because the OP is just stirring the pot by his own admission. Although, glocks are interesting to talk about. People usually either love them or hate them. I can't think of another "popular" handgun that so many people would refuse to own. A person can stir the pot either direction just by saying "I love glock" or "I hate glock." One mans glunk is another mans treasure.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I am to smart to believe it for one second when someone claims a "best" of anything. :popcorn:

But are you smart enough to know the difference between "to" and "too?"

:):

Glock 9mm pistols are the heat. They are legendary in their reliability, ease of maintenance, simplicity and durability. Although there may be a better platform for other calibers, I believe the Glock is a gold standard in 9mm, and every time I see a new 9mm pistol, I ask myself what it does that the G19 can't do. So far, NO pistol with such a high capacity (15+1) even comes close to the compact size, light weight, easy carryability, reliability, simplicity, available accessories, reputation, and durability of the Glock 19. None of them.

The other guys may have a safety lever, or a little thinner grip, or be made of steel or aluminum....and that's fine, as far as personal preference goes. Something else might suit individual tastes a little better, but from a standpoint of function and "real world" use in the field, nothing beats a Glock 9mm. There are over 8,000,000 Glocks in service worldwide, and it is one of the most popular choices of armed professionals who go into harms way here and around the world. If it's not the "best," it sure as hell is tied for 1st place!

If I could only have one pistol for the rest of my life, something that had to serve as home defense, concealed carry, service pistol, range toy and emergency game getter, it would without a doubt be the G19 FTW!

:)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Agent 007 said:
    The other guys may have a safety lever, or a little thinner grip, or be made of steel or aluminum....and that's fine, as far as personal preference goes

So no safety, big fat grip, and plastic are your preferences??? Haha. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    So no safety, big fat grip, and plastic are your preferences??? Haha. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I prefer my combat gear to be recent production, rather than rescued from the dustbin of history by overly nostalgic, starstruck fans of overly complicated 98 year old designs that were made with sloppy tolerances to reliably feed the ball ammo of their day, and later bastardized into God knows how many different configurations never intended by the designer in order to achieve even a modicum of reliability with modern defensive ammunition.

(Is that a run-on sentence? :):)

If I was looking for something in which my main criteria was "does it feel good in the hand," I'd be better off frequenting strip clubs than gun shops. And if I needed a mechanical crutch to keep me safe from myself.....I'd probably give up guns and take up golf before I hurt myself.

It's on now, brotha! :boxing: :D

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    But. . . but. . . what if you were about to be attacked by 9 bad guys! :D

8+1= 9 where I live ;)

overly complicated 98 year old designs

Very true...IF the person relies on engine oil as a gun lube. I figured out a total disassembly of said pistol after watching a 5 minute video. Sure was complicated :rolleyes:

The word "combat" is tossed around quite a bit. What is the definition of combat? To me combat means military battles, what conflicts has the Glock been through? We had a few G19's in Iraq which never saw use outside the range, that was the rifles job ;). Those Glocks sure were proven there :laugh:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've hurt myself far more often (and painfully) with golfing!!

There's nothing (and I mean NOTHING) like swinging at the driving range, giving it all you've got, and watching as the club slips out of your hand and tumbles, end over end, out into the grass. I've been there!! I took out a gymnasium light during a golf class indoors once, too!!

To be fair, I've seen the same things happen with firearms too - people not being ready for recoil and tossing the firearm behind them some distance as the follow-through happens, or dropping hot brass where it doesn't belong.. but for me, golf is where it's at!! :P

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    The word "combat" is tossed around quite a bit. What is the definition of combat? To me combat means military battles, what conflicts has the Glock been through? We had a few G19's in Iraq which never saw use outside the range, that was the rifles job ;). Those Glocks sure were proven there :laugh:

Combat is violent conflict between opposing sides, in order to establish dominance over your opponent. It doesn't have to be military conflict, although that is the most common thought of what "combat" is.

The gun is simply a tool. If it has been proven to function reliably in all sorts of harsh conditions, and to do what it was designed to do with a high rate of success, then it is proven. The Glock meets this criteria handily. It is in service with special forces units, armed forces, and armed government agencies around the world. I'm betting they leave the "range" every once in a while with their Glocks. :rolleyes: :):

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Very true...IF the person relies on engine oil as a gun lube. I figured out a total disassembly of said pistol after watching a 5 minute video. Sure was complicated :rolleyes:

Complicated as to function, not as to disassembly. The more complicated a machine is, the more potential points of failure.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Combat is violent conflict between opposing sides, in order to establish dominance over your opponent. It doesn't have to be military conflict, although that is the most common thought of what "combat" is.

The gun is simply a tool. If it has been proven to function reliably in all sorts of harsh conditions, and to do what it was designed to do with a high rate of success, then it is proven. The Glock meets this criteria handily. It is in service with special forces units, armed forces, and armed government agencies around the world. I'm betting they leave the "range" every once in a while with their Glocks. :rolleyes: :):

I hate to break it to you but there are PLENTY of pistols meeting this criteria. Again the ODA team on my FOB had M9's...just because they left with them doesn't mean it was the primary weapon. All of your above examples uses other pistols too...so MAYBE that means others are every bit capable ;)

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    And I will counter with . . . . if the M9 is so combat effective, why don't more LE agencies worldwide use it as their PRIMARY duty weapon?

The OP said "Combat" pistol, not LE, and if you don't know the difference I simply cannot assist you. You'll have to conduct more research. Now I will assist you with the following facts:

Nations that use the Glock as an "official" sidearm:
    -Austria
    -India
    -Jordan
    -Thailand
    -Norway
    -Philippines

Nations that use the Beretta as an "official" sidearm:
    -Algeria
    -Argentina
    -Bosnia & Herzogovinia
    -Brazil
    -Colombia
    -France
    -Italy
    -Malaysia
    -Peru
    -Poland
    -Slovenia
    -South Africa
    -Spain
    -Turkey
    -United States

Just on the surface it appears that the Beretta is more popular. I am not denying that the Glock isn't a great, simple pistol (because it is!). I am focusing on combat pistols. In the US Military, there are two major DOD contracts for pistols; Sig and Beretta. I personally have used the Beretta in many places. We have a few M-11's (Sig 228) in our vault for concealed carry, but that is rare. Everyone that I know that owns a Glock loves it, and these are people that are very good with CQB etc.

I am just glad that we live in a nation where we can pick & choose our personal sidearm! Hopefully that will last forever, because the day it stops...

Top Bottom