• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I own an H&K USP, Sig P220 and several Glocks. If it came down to choosing just one to depend my life on, either the Sig or my G21SF would be a toss up. Though I love my H&K, it hasn't yet proven as dependable.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I must have incredible luck because I've owned Taurus, Kel-tec, Kimber, Hi-power, H&K, Glock, Ruger pistols and they've all performed wonderfully after the first couple hundred rounds if not right out of the box.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Get another cup of coffee down you , and wipe the sleep out of your eye's he only mentioned two guns! S&W M&P is one! Glock would be two! ;) :D

Ok, I have had my shower and a couple more cups of coffee. His post is still ridiculously funny. Could be just me. :laugh:

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Never had a USP or my HK45c fail. I have watched the Glock and the M&P fail. HK is the only gun I trust to carry.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Thank you , now i need to start looking harder at a h&k... What are some of the more popular models in a 9mm or 40?

The USP has been around for a long time and is battle proven so you might start there. The compact is nice if you are going to carry it a lot.

I carry a Sig 220 at my duty weapon and it has never failed after hundreds of rounds. I also have a H&K USPc .40 and Glock 21 that has never failed. My gen 4 Glock 17 had issues early on, but I haven't had an issue since changing out the spring.

Shoot a few if you can as they are all going to feel a little different. Have fun and good luck :)

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Thank you , now i need to start looking harder at a h&k... What are some of the more popular models in a 9mm or 40?
    USP compact for a carry piece. USP compacts have a recoil buffer system. They are easy to maintain and you can change the fire control system to any of the variations they offer. They are as accurate as any pistol can be and will last a lifetime when properly maintained. I have a USP 9mm compact that was a rental. I got it with what they thought was around 20k rounds. I have over 5k through it without cleaning it and it has never failed. They made a change in the 06 version of the USP. They updated the firing pin block and spring. It prevents a chance of breaking the firing pin when the pistol is dry fired. There were also some changes in the sear and hammer.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I'll give you credit on that. I've never seen a HK fail either. You truly get what you pay for in the gun market.

I have had some 1911's that cost twice what a USP does and won't run half as good. But I to think you get every penny's worth out of an HK.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I had an HK p2000sk that was junk and would jam up constantly... so... I've seen an HK fail.

HK, Glock, Sig, Beretta, Hi-power, CZ, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger all make great pistols. Buy one that works for you and shoot it.

I've heard great things about the CZ P-01 compact 9mm. I've been dying to get one. I'm issued a glock 23, so I try to be proficient with it.

There are always stories of "super pistols" out there. Don't believe them to a point where you don't maintain your firearm. Guns are machines and will break when you don't need them to break if you don't maintain them.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I own several differnt type of guns, and some guns are better for one application than others. The guns that work best for me are glocks, but there are a number of people that Glocks just dont fit them.
    Make sure what you buy feels good in your hands. There are many great products out there and you will enjoy the shopping. Beware, your gun budget is going way up!!:ar15:
    Good Luck on your search

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One thing that I noticed, almost every single top flight and well known shooting instructor in the US shoots/carries/trains with either Glocks or M&P's. To me, that is saying a lot.

So you're saying that shooting instructors have no sense of style?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You truly get what you pay for in the gun market.

Not always. I have a Bersa 380CC that I paid $269 that has far, far out performed a Walther PPK/S (Smith and Wesson) that I paid $550 for. My $560 Glock 29sf had more issues than my $359 Bersa Thunder 9UC. My $900 Sig Scorpion 1911 needed more break in than my $479 RIA Compact did.

None of these guns were bad guns once broken in, but the point is that until you get into the custom market (which I cannot afford to get into), you should expect to run enough ammo through any gun to be sure there are no manufacturing issues present. That's why we break guns in (yes, even Glocks).

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Never had a USP or my HK45c fail. I have watched the Glock and the M&P fail. HK is the only gun I trust to carry.

+1

I have owned many different brands through the years, but HK is what I have come to trust over all others.

I had an HK p2000sk that was junk and would jam up constantly... so... I've seen an HK fail.

You should have had it looked at by HK. All guns can break, but a SK or any other HK is far from being junk.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    +1

I have owned many different brands through the years, but HK is what I have come to trust over all others.

You should have had it looked at by HK. All guns can break, but a SK or any other HK is far from being junk.

HK did look at it... twice. It wouldn't cycle properly. I'm not saying all HK are junk. I said the p2000sk that I had was junk.

Once again, it's your opinion. There are plenty of fine gun makers out there. What the OP needs to understand is that some people put their lives into their guns, which you shouldn't do.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    HK did look at it... twice. It wouldn't cycle properly. I'm not saying all HK are junk. I said the p2000sk that I had was junk.

Once again, it's your opinion. There are plenty of fine gun makers out there. What the OP needs to understand is that some people put their lives into their guns, which you shouldn't do.

I disagree. Find a gun that you shoot well with a good track record and learn it like the back (or palm :D) of your hand. I think you should practice with your EDC until the actions of shooting it are as natural as blinking the eyes. IF you are going to use it to defend your life you should become one with the gun. IF my HK45c that I use for EDC ever fails you can bet your ass I'll be back to a USP compact.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    I, too, have had less than stellar experience with HK compacts. A P2000sk that jammed and couldn't hold a pattern to save my life, and a USPc 45 that also didn't like to shoot very straight. No problems with the full size USP (USP 9mm and a USP Expert 9mm).

Too be fair, I have had a gen3 Glock 22 jam as well, likely due to me over-tightening the gunlight(an issue they supposedly resolved w/ the Gen4).

I have had not had a jam with any of my Sigs, but I have never put the rounds/time/training into a Sig. Keep it around more because I just like it and the .357 it came in...

I still have yet to find a reason to pick a USP over a glock, at least that justifies the price difference.
    The USP has:
    -bigger grip
    -lower mag capacity
    -higher bore axis
    -old (out of date??) DA/SA trigger system unless you search for/upgrade to the LEM trigger kit,
    -different mag release set up than virtually every other semi-auto made
    -more expensive everything (mags, service, the gun itself)
    -non-standard rail system for lights/etc. (although they appear to have gotten the point with the new models P30/HK45)

BUT...they are still nice guns. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one or more again. Yet, I do and will carry a Glock.

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That's hilarious. :laugh:

That is hilarious why? Oh, you assume I am just some fanboy right? Well I am a firearms dealer and I've probably test fired more guns in a year than you have in your life, although I don't know you so I could be wrong. I've owned or own Sigs, Kimbers, Brownings, H&K, Glocks, Rugers, S&W's, CZ's, Springfields, FNH, Beretta, Colts, Kahr's, Magnum Research, Para's, Night hawk customs, and many other less quality brands that aren't worth mentioning. I can say that every single one of those companies I mentioned makes a quality firearm or firearms. I can also honestly say that the ONLY ones I carry and trust my life with on a daily basis is Glock and M&P.

Why? Because I like striker-fired guns. I have had less issues with those two brands than any of the others. They have proven to me to be the most reliable time and time again, consistent trigger pull, long life, & they are inexpensive and I don't have to cry like a little girl when one gets a scratch or holster wear. I think Sig comes in right behind them. I also LOVE 1911's, prettiest gun ever made....but I don't trust my life to them. Not saying you can't, but I don't.

So once again, Smith and Wesson M&P and Glock are the only two that I trust my life to. Not that they are the only ones YOU can trust your life to.

Top Bottom