• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    So, after avoiding Glocks for seems like forever, I finally got a chance to shoot one this weekend. A G21 .45.

Yes, I still DON'T like the hand grips. I have average to large hands and I still felt like I was holding on to the barrel of a softball bat.

Functionally, I really liked the way it fired. Very managable recoil. Trigger reset was wonderful.

Are all Glocks molded with the same, ham handed grips?

I've tasted the koolaid, but still not sure if I want to drink the whole glass....:D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 9s and 40s have smaller grips. Still not the best feeling in the world, but they are much more manageable.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Nope. The 9 and 40 series are a lot smaller grip. I have big hands and love my 21, however. But you can really notice the difference between the two frame sizes.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you shot the G21 full frame, that is a hand full! Do you know if it was a "short frame"? I have a G36 and my wife has the G23, I have reworked my grip to fit, and the wife loves the way hers fits. You might want to look at a few more! Go ahead and drink the whole glass, it won't hurt.:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can also get a few of the Grocks in a "SF", or short frame model.

They design the grip to be shorter from front to back which also leads to less circumference. I believe that the full-size 10mm variant also has a SF option to it.

And some of the newer Gen4 Grocks have some interchangeable backstraps. Not sure which frame sizes offer this feature, though.

-J-

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There are currently 4 generations of Glocks out there. There are 3 different sized models in most calibers. They offer a slimmer framed model (sf) in the 3rd generation frames in 45 and 10mm. Their is also a single stack 45 caliber model out there.

The first and second gen frames do not have finger groves. Third gen has finger grooves and a picatinny. Their is also a rough textured frame model in the 3rd gen line. Fourth gen frames have a reduced finger groove, rail, and a much rougher, stippled like texture. To my knowledge, the only calibers offered currently in the fourth gens are 9x19 and 40 in the large and medium sized frames.

With that said, look around and you can probably find one to your liking.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    In my experience, the biggest problem with Glock grips is the distance across. It never bothered me much, because I have large but bony hands; its easy for me to bridge the expanse.

The new grip texture as well as the back straps of the Gen 4 fixes the feel a bit.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thank you all for the info. I'm going to keep looking and trying, now that I've had a chance to shoot one. I really was impressed with the function of the 21. If all work the same way, I may just end up with one in my safe or on my hip.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Try a S&W M&P, and see the difference, let us know what you think ..... or a S A X D.....

M&P is the good of the glocks without the 2x4 feel, Now I have to say XD people are XD people, Just the few people I've delt with either love or hate the XD, the M&P seems to be loved or OK, haven't run into anyone that hated the M&P for a valid reason

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    If you want to stay with a smaller grip Glock and retain the 45 caliber I would suggest the Glock 37 in 45 GAP! Has the same frame as the 9mm or 40! Go with a gen 3 or 4 though! I bought 2 of them. One for me and one for the wife. She didnt like the recoil(which is less than my 1911 and she loves it) so I have hers up for sale in the classifieds. Anyway if you ever get around our neck of the woods you can shoot one and see how you like them. You could also go with the Glock 36,its a single stack 45ACP. Again make sure you go with at least a gen 3 for better ergo and grip feels better to me anyway!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    M&P is the good of the glocks without the 2x4 feel, Now I have to say XD people are XD people, Just the few people I've delt with either love or hate the XD, the M&P seems to be loved or OK, haven't run into anyone that hated the M&P for a valid reason

Cathy and I both dislike the M&Ps, for the opposite reason of why we like the Glocks. The Glock feels terrible in the hand, feels good when shooting. The M&P feels great in the hand, feels terrible when shooting. The XD gave us a gun that feels great in our hand, and feels good when shooting. I like both the Glock and the XD, but avoid the M&P for those reasons.

Obviously, those are subjective feelings, but I still think they are valid ones :D

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Cathy and I both dislike the M&Ps, for the opposite reason of why we like the Glocks. The Glock feels terrible in the hand, feels good when shooting. The M&P feels great in the hand, feels terrible when shooting. The XD gave us a gun that feels great in our hand, and feels good when shooting. I like both the Glock and the XD, but avoid the M&P for those reasons.

Obviously, those are subjective feelings, but I still think they are valid ones :D

the Gen4 took care of the large grip issue I had. I now own a G17 after many years of staying away due to the grip size.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

XD "People"? LOL. I do have an XDm .40 and like it very much so far. I've only put about 200 rounds through it as I got it last week. It has a feel very reminiscent of a 1911 to me.

I just talked to a coworker who as a G23. Gonna give that a try and see if it changes my mind.

I don't know anyone who has the M&P and since I shoot mainly on my own property, it's hard to "see" them at the range. LOL

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have relatively small hands, all in all. I had a G21-SF but had to sell it because of exactly the feeling of a softball bat you are talking about. I also had a G30 which was MUCH better and the G19 which is the best for my hands. Having said that, I just held a M&P 9 mm and now I want one BAD!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think of myself as having rather small hands, but I had no trouble shooting a Glock 21 with one hand. I checked out the G21SF as opposed to the straight G21 and really noticed no difference. Of course, I only fired the G21, not the SF version. If funding ever permits, I'll get a G21.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I just don't understand the need for such a large grip. It's not due to the magazine. I have a Taurus 24/7 .45 that has 12 round mags and the grip on it feels great. It is much smaller. The G21 is 13 rounds. The extra round isnt really worth it for me.
    Jury is still out for me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom