• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks for all the input

I have been using Glocks for 20yrs. Happy enough with them, though I think the stock sights are bad from a durability perspective. Very little experience with the M&P - I prefer the Glock grip and trigger, but the M&P comes with nice sights. I feel confident recommending the Glock, but not the M&P (due to lack of experience).

If reliability and durability are about the same then I will tell him to try both and select which one feels better to him

Rcheli1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Midwest
    I would recommend that your friend and you take trip to the LGS and hold both to see which fits his/her hand the best. I think the M&P fits me best and as a result I have several.

ghstrdr110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2014
    Danville
    Many tried to convince me to buy the M&P instead of the Glock. went with the Glock because I fire It much much better than the M&p. to each his own

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have been shooting Glocks for many years. I tried the M&P, but could not get used to the trigger, even after putting in a RAM kit to get the trigger reset to more of what I am used to. It still wasn't there for me, so I sold off the M&P and stayed with Glock. They work, they are simple to completely strip down, with a punch and a youtube video at most. Parts are everywhere, and relatively cheap. I've settled on Glock as my platform.

That said, if someone was starting without the bias I had, then I'd probably tell them to give a serious look at the M&P. Smith seems to be more responsive to shooters and more innovative these days.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had Glock's for a number of years but decided to give the M&P a try because of a lot of positive feedback and end up selling all my Glock's and now have a couple of M&P's.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    M&P is for me! But go with what fits your hand best and what you shoot best. Both are great, reliable guns.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As others have said, your friend needs to shoot them both and make a decision. What often feels good in the gun shop turns into a feel-bad story once you are out at the range. I've owned a lot of Glocks and several M&Ps over the last few years and they are both my most easily recommended polymer pistol brands with Glock being my personal preference. Both a very simple, very reliable, very rugged and will give you decades of service with a minimal amount of upkeep. The Glock wins in the available extras market by a landslide where finding M&P mags can turn into a bit of a treasure hunt once your online retailers run out.

The bottom line between the 2 is that neither is 'better' than the other. The Glock doesn't shoot the 9mm round with extra potency and the S&W doesn't give you extra points with the ladies. It has to come down to what he wants to do with the gun, how much he is willing to spend, and how he likes shooting with each of them. After years of using both in IDPA the only difference I can see between the 2 brands is my M&P's tend to shoot a bit lower than my Glocks so you have to change your point of aim when switching between the two.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    What feels best in your hand is what I would opt for. I have both, shoot both equally well and do triggers on both. Triggers on the M&P cost about twice as much as a Glock to get really good but either would be a great choice and neither have a terrible trigger right out of the box.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    The Smith feels good in the hand, but I am so darn used to the Glock... plus, it's got so many more years of track record.

:yesway:......Yup.......DID put a couple'a Smith's in my hand yesterday, up @ Bite the Bullet up'n Seymour.....DO feel perty good in'a hand.......but I'm use ta the Glocks.....
    ain't say'n I'd say NO ta 1 (Smith), but......:dunno:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I have both, and I know for a fact the trigger reset on the M&P is very long compared to the Glock (Gen 4). I hate this fact. Now they've since come out with the M&P Pro Series that cures the M&P trigger issues. It is, however quite a bit more money than the standard M&P's ($100-$150 more).

Have you coon fingered the newest of the M&P's? I'm guessing not...S&W has changed the triggers in the M&P's to have an audible AND tactile reset. How do I know? I have one of the newer M&P 9 full size and the trigger is much, much better than the original. I have a personal attachment to Glock, but I cannot shoot them for squat! The first time I shot the M&P I was able to shoot to 15 yards and beyond, accurately. Needless to say I carry a Full size M&P 9 everywhere I go, until I can afford to buy a M&P9c

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    They both go bang with reliability. They both can use some trigger upgrading, IMO. Basically whichever feels right should be the choice if it is only between the two brands.

I would heartily recommend the Walther PPQ to anyone that wanted a full size weapon over either. That thing has a magical trigger.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Have you coon fingered the newest of the M&P's? I'm guessing not...S&W has changed the triggers in the M&P's to have an audible AND tactile reset. How do I know? I have one of the newer M&P 9 full size and the trigger is much, much better than the original.

Agree, hear complaints but my m&p test shot november 2013 has a great trigger.

Top Bottom