• ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Hey InGO,

Well, this will give you 1911 guys the "ammunition" you need in favor of not owning a Glock. I will say that this has never happened in live shooting. I have never loaded just one round into a clip. I bought these practice snap caps today and when I used the 10 round California magazines I experienced a problem. You can see this problem in the video. When I loaded the snap cap into the last position of the 10 round magazine it failed(FTF) most of the time. In the video (of course) it worked 2 out of 3 times. It did not make a difference what kind of ammo as I used FMJ, Speer Hollow point, Remington Hollow Point, and the snap caps. This does not happen with my 15 round magazine. I will upload pics of the magazine as well. The plastic on the top of the magazine reads "2183-1" on both of them. Sorry for the quality as I had my 11 year old do the video. She did pretty good though.

DSCI0067.mp4 video by brianmcclellan74 - Photobucket

Here is a picture of the bad magazine.

1126102359.jpg

Did any of you have this problem with these magazines? I have my own theory about the source of the problem but what, in your opinion is causing the issue?

Last edited:

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Unless I'm missing/not understanding something, this would point to more of a problem with the snap-cap than with the Glock (or Glock magazine), yes?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    As I said it happens with all of the ammo I have. As luck would have it, it did not happen with the snap cap. If you watch the video you will see it happens with the Remington Hollow Point. Were you able to watch the video?
    Unless I'm missing/not understanding something, this would point to more of a problem with the snap-cap than with the Glock (or Glock magazine), yes?

glockarmour34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    you are not suppose to use snap caps and live ammo in the same mag. the reason you are have a ftf is snap caps dont have the same properties of live ammo. plus you have 11 yr in the room with you playing with live ammo talk about being unsafe snap caps are to be use wit snap caps

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    As I said it happens with all of the ammo I have. As luck would have it, it did not happen with the snap cap. If you watch the video you will see it happens with the Remington Hollow Point. Were you able to watch the video?

I watched the video more closely this time. You're right, in your third attempt, with a live round, the Remington HP failed to feed and chamber correctly. But you haven't had this issue during live fire with the ten-round mag, right? And you haven't had this FTF issue during live fire or dry fire with the 15-round mag, right?

When I loaded the snap cap into the last [first up to feed into the chamber] position of the 10 round magazine it failed(FTF) most of the time.

I guess I based my earlier comment more on this statement.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok here is the problem

it is the magazine...others are confirming my suspicions...do not use mags that are 10 round with the numbers 2183-1...Another Glock 19 - TheFiringLine Forums
    Tom B

As I continue in my effort to "corner the Glock market" I traded for another G19 last week. Not really as I traded a Glock for a Glock! This one is a second generation. Took it to the range over the weekend and put 200rds of Ga Arms 124gr FMJ and JHP+P thru it. It came with 3 10rd mags and when I saw the mag followers as being 2183-1 I said "this is going to be problems" as I had trouble with these type followers in my other G19 mags and had to replace them with 9MM-1. All the mags functioned flawlessly however and I had 1 failure to feed a JHP but it was with one of my other Glock mags. Go figure! I would rate accuracy as good but I didn't measure groups. What does "good" mean you might say well not as accurate as my G17s but close to my other G19. I would say about 3in at 25yds. Next weeks report will be on the Ruger P95. Thank you for your attention.
    user_offline.gif

Tom B View Public Profile Find More Posts by Tom B
    post_old.gif
    August 28, 2000, 07:08 AM #2 9x19

Tom B,

Cool!

BTW, I've never had any problems out of my Glock mags, whether they have 9mm-1, 2183-1, or 9mm-3 followers. {shrug}

------------------
    Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!
    user_offline.gif

9x19 View Public Profile Find More Posts by 9x19

post_old.gif
    August 28, 2000, 07:22 AM #3 jimmy

G19s are great guns--congrats on your purchase.
    smile.gif

BTW, 2183-1 followers seem unpredictable, which may be the problem. I've heard that they can cause the last round to nose-dive, and from slow-feeding I can see that this is true. And yet I've never had an actual stoppage with them. Also, it's curious, at least to me, that the 2183-1 is also used in the G17 10-round mag, without appearing to cause the same stoppage. FWIW, I prefer the 9mm3 followers, because they keep the round pointed dead center into the chamber.
    smile.gif

user_offline.gif

jimmy View Public Profile Find More Posts by jimmy

post_old.gif
    August 28, 2000, 03:49 PM #4 Skorzeny

Ummm, can one of you kindly explain what the difference is between all these followers?

I have a Glock 19 (the latest generation, I think) and I have had some failures to feed with the last round of each 10-round magazines. In each case, the slide locked back with one round still left (caught) in the magazine.

I have not experienced such a problem with the pre-ban magazines and I suspect that the 10-round magazine followers may be the culprit.

Thanks!

Skorzeny

------------------
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu
    user_offline.gif

Skorzeny View Public Profile Find More Posts by Skorzeny

post_old.gif
    August 28, 2000, 07:04 PM #5 Tom B

The followers most people have problems with are the 2183-1. They have the hump smaller at the rear. The 9mm-1 and 9mm-3 followers have a longer hump that runs the length of the follower. I have had problems like yours in a G19 and G17 with the former.
    I watched the video more closely this time. You're right, in your third attempt, with a live round, the Remington HP failed to feed and chamber correctly. But you haven't had this issue during live fire with the ten-round mag, right? And you haven't had this FTF issue during live fire or dry fire with the 15-round mag, right?

I guess I based my earlier comment more on this statement.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    My theory (from the other thread and my own experience) is the problem is with magazine (10 round 2183-1) ...the followers do not point the bullet into the chamber and it only does it on the last round...most likely this never occurred at the range and rarely reported because people do not just load one round into the mag...also when firing the impact from the slide going back will send it forward with greater force than the spring alone could provide....There is a reason that Glock redesigned the followers in later Glocks

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    way off

This post is way off.. the snap cap and live ammo were never used together...
    you are not suppose to use snap caps and live ammo in the same mag. the reason you are have a ftf is snap caps dont have the same properties of live ammo. plus you have 11 yr in the room with you playing with live ammo talk about being unsafe snap caps are to be use wit snap caps

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    The follower dos not look to be back words but i would question the spring since that looks like a first gen mag. The spring may be week or slightly compressed in the front of the mag and could make hollow points jam up like your experiencing. The snap caps would load fine since the material there made of is a slicker surface allowing them to chamber. An easy solution to try is take the mag apart and slightly stretch the spring, put it back together and try it again

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    you are not suppose to use snap caps and live ammo in the same mag.

We use snap caps mixed with live ammo all the time in training to make the gun malfunction to do clearance drills. Not sure what rock you crawled out from under, but its a valid training tool.

And, just out of curiosity, is English your first language?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    yeah that guy confuses backwoods with backwards but maybe its a freudian slip....He might be backwards from the backwoods HAHA ...he went off half cocked about the issue thinking I was bashing glocks but I felt it was a question that needed an answer...others may have this issue and in an extreme situation it could save your life if you correct it...The issue is the magazine...I took it into 2 shops today they both confirmed my suspicions...
    We use snap caps mixed with live ammo all the time in training to make the gun malfunction to do clearance drills. Not sure what rock you crawled out from under, but its a valid training tool.

And, just out of curiosity, is English your first language?

Top Bottom