• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Shooter651....... Please accept my public apology. First rule of INGO.... don't drink and INGO.. I didn't mean for that to get out of hand. I have trouble seeing how a Gen4 recoil spring can shoot out of the front and come out undamaged. Like other members, I trust my life to a Gen4. I look forward to your findings, and I apologize to you, the Mods, and the community of INGO for being an epic douchebag. My intent was not to start an arguement. Yes I do like Glocks, are they perfect?? that remains to be seen. Please know my response was not a Glock vs. the world type post. I was simply questioning the laws of physics as your pistol seemed to have a problem following them. I have shelved my Gen4 awaiting your findings. Sorry for being a wiener. :ingo::ingo::ingo:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I've got a Gen4 G22 which appears to be the same model in the second set of pics from the OP. Cant see any markings in any of the pics with the spring out.

I know from being an owner of this weapon that it is a pain in the butt to even get the spring back in the weapon after you take it out, let alone it going through the slide. Not sure if this is a wide spread problem or not or if this was just a one off.

I also know that this is not the original design of the Gen 4 Glock, the original design had the inside of the slide for the recoil spring beveled for the guide rod and spring. This came straight from a Glock rep that test fired the original version from Austria. When they the new shipments of gen 4's in the noticed that Glock made them flush and that it was harder to get the spring and rod back into the weapon.

One thing that I have noticed on mine is that it does seem to move inside the slide and fall left or right of the groove it's supposed to sit in. My fram has a nick in it from this during firing. I'll post up picks tonight.

Still fires 100% thought.

The other thing is I've actually seen the video and posted the link of the tourture test on a Glock where it melted the guide rod and it flew out of the front of the weapon, but the weapon continued to fire without issues.
    :twocents:

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Remymartin: apology accepted.

The reason for the post was just to inform and get feedback. I love my Glocks and don’t want to bash or otherwise ruin their rep without valid reasons; but if a major malfunction like this happened in a fight you would SOL unless you had a BUG.

I hope Glock takes this seriously as well and properly investigates the issue.

Like you I’m dumbfounded on how it happened! I can’t even reproduce the malfunction with the same gun and recoil spring. So was it a onetime fluke, a manufacturing defect or assembly issue, a defect in my slide, operator error…. I have no idea. Granted this is one documented malfunction out of how many positives. So we do have to consider that. I believe Hickman stated he has run several hundred rounds through his without issue.

I don’t know if we could start a poll or thread to better document users positives and negatives with the Gen 4. Last thing I really want to do is start rumors about Gen 4’s reliability, but if there is an issue I believe the more information everyone has the better we’ll be.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I thought it had already been proven that this was an issue with the Gen4's.Or was that another part I am thinking of?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have never seen anything like this, but I think shelving a mass produced pistol based on someone else having a problem is a little silly.

Stuff happens guys, I am sure these Gen 4 glocks are as reliable as a gun can be.

You are responsible to make sure YOUR gun works, if it does, who cares about the rest of them?

If I wasnt willing to make sure my 1911s work, based on internet experiances, you would think that 1911s NEVER work :) Or AR15s for that matter.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I removed about half the posts in this thread. No more fighting about this. None. I'm ashamed at the way some of you guys threw the new guy under the bus and pulled out the "BS Flag" right away. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then please don't post.

+ 1!

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Again INGO community................ I am sorry to be an ass. I disrespected the the OP and the site. That's not what I'm here for. Please accept my apology. I'm all ears to see what happens with the OP's pistol.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Again INGO community................ I am sorry to be an ass. I disrespected the the OP and the site. That's not what I'm here for. Please accept my apology. I'm all ears to see what happens with the OP's pistol.

I just want to be the first one to call BS on your apology. However, I would be willing to accept it if you sent me your Gen 4 Glock for evaluation purposes.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Any updates?

I called my buddy at Glock and apparently this was possible for some of the very first ones rolled out in the G22. Since then, they have added a small recess to the slide in the hole to hold the spring.

He said they would gladly check it out, shipping on their dime of course.

Have you gotten any updates from Glock?

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I have been thinking about a gen4 17 or 19. I guess I will wait and see what the outcome of this situation is. Please update us when you get the chance.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Any updates?

I called my buddy at Glock and apparently this was possible for some of the very first ones rolled out in the G22. Since then, they have added a small recess to the slide in the hole to hold the spring.

He said they would gladly check it out, shipping on their dime of course.

Have you gotten any updates from Glock?

Huh. interesting.

These sound like manufacturing hiccups to me.

I would say, buy gen 4 glocks with gusto.

Actually, frankly I cant STAND gen 4 glocks myself.

so I guess I wouldnt say that.

The gen 3 is perfect, the Gen 4 just feels... weird to me. dont like the bumps.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Still doesn't make sense that the G23 did this, it wouldn't have had the recess missing, as that was a G22 thing, the first of the Gen4.

I love the bumps, but then again, I have skater tape on my competition Glocks.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I heard back form Glock. They couldn't reproduce the malfunction but are exchanging the firearm anyway. I have to say Glock CS seems top notch.

"Mr. Cazel

Although I was unable to re-create the problem you incurred. I have examined the slide and recoil spring and determined you received a out of spec recoil spring causing your trouble. When we replaced the recoil spring with a new one we had no problems. Due to the inconvenience caused to you I will send you a new gun to replace the one you sent me. this will take about ten more business days to complete. Thanks

William Carmichael II
    Technical Supervisor
    Glock Inc
    6000 Highlands Pkwy
    Smyrna, GA 30082"

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    For those of you running Gen 4 Glocks who would like the option of running a Gen 3 recoil system might find this interesting. Just happened to find this on another forum thought I would pass it along.
    GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring - GlockStore.com

While I see the recoil reduction as the big plus for Gen 4, this might be a good thing to have around in a parts standpoint if you own both G3 and G4, for redundancy.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Got my replacement today. The recoil spring doesn't seem as stiff to me, still stamped 0 3. Can't wait to get out and break it in. I'll post back with range results.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom