• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Question for all you Glock owners. I'm contemplating a G19, and got a chance to handle and shoot a friend's recently, a Gen 3 specifically. Specific areas I tried out with it were reloading drills both tactical and empty-mag. Dropping the empty mag (slide locked back) raised a concern, in that the mag doesn't seem to positively eject that well compared to other pistols I've tried. I had to almost snap my wrist a bit to get the empty mag to drop. Is this characteristic of all Glocks? Is it a Gen 3 characteristic that's maybe improved upon in the Gen 4s? Or is this particular G19 I tried an exception to the rule?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are Glock mags spring ejected or gravity "ejected"?

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    If it hangs, pull it out. Save for Browning Hi-Powers in .40 and a couple others, I've not seen spring ejected mags.

Other pistols I've handled (XD's, M&Ps, 1911s) just seem to spit the mag out, regardless of if they have any sort of "spring" function. Maybe the magazine spring on those provides more back pressure than Glocks to more positively spit the empty mag out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Other pistols I've handled (XD's, M&Ps, 1911s) just seem to spit the mag out, regardless of if they have any sort of "spring" function. Maybe the magazine spring on those provides more back pressure than Glocks to more positively spit the empty mag out.
    all of the above use steel mags, not polymer. If you can find a Glock mag in steel that actually works, it moves out like sh.. Through a goose. That said, my G19 Gen 3 rarely keeps a mag, and if it does, a quick down flick finishes the job. I also have a couple of all polymer Gen 1 mags that have to be removed by hand every time.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    The earlier mags, Gen 1 or maybe Gen 2 say, could bulge a little with uses and needed to be pulled out more regularly, so maybe he had an older mag here. (Many were traded in the "Bad Old Days" of high capacity mag limits)

Newer mags after say Gen 3 and certainly Gen 4 should have a steel liner that stiffens them up and should prevent bulging, so they should drop free. You can also wipe them down with a silicon impregnated cloth and this seems to make them more slippery and drop out more easily.

I didn't know they made steel mags and I would shy away from these, as I would be concerned that the steel could wear the polymer on the mag catch and give issues here. No experience here, just a concern.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes, Glocks of all generations shoot mags out with less force than other makes/models of guns.

The newer mags are supposed to be "drop-free" but occasionally do not because the only force that acts on an empty mag is gravity. If friction>gravity, mag doesn't drop.

There are some things you can do to help. Take 1000-1500-2000 grit sand paper to the mag bodies reduce stiction. Same thing on the inner vertical face of the mag catch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ANY gun that doesn't drop empty mags without assistance by gravity alone has issues. Either the mag is bad or the gun has issues (or both). Sometimes it's as simple as gunk in the magwell.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've had some issues releasing from my new Gen 4 G19 but I think it has more to do with my hand than the gun. I loathe gun modifications but I might just change up the release if I can't work it out with practice.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The issue you're describing is actually a 'known' issue and is discussed during the armorer's courses that Glock conducts.

It's caused by variation in the tolerances of the magwell during the molding process. The easiest way to resolve the issue is to remove the slide from the firearm. Take the problem mag and an old t-shirt. Place the mag so that it is covered by one layer of fabric from the t-shirt and insert it firmly into the magwell. Leave the gun in this condition overnight.

The next morning, remove the cloth-covered mag and reassemble the firearm. Try the mag... it should now drop free without issue. You may have to repeat this process once or twice but then everything should be fine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Its probably just that particular gun. Most of my Glocks drop free but my G29sf hung onto its mags. They had to be pulled from that gun on a reload similar to how a CZ mag break works.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    There are some good tips here for resolving the issue (after isolating the problem to the gun or the mag).

Regarding the OP question, I have never experienced a problem of that nature with a Glock. My mags drop free without assistance even when unloaded.

Top Bottom