• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've had some issues releasing from my new Gen 4 G19 but I think it has more to do with my hand than the gun. I loathe gun modifications but I might just change up the release if I can't work it out with practice.
    I used to be like this about non OEM parts, but in this case I highly recommend the Vicker's mag release. It is a great product and an easy swap. I have them on my Gen 3 and 4's.

JSpider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My Gen 2 G19 has never dropped out the mags. Was told by a "glock guy" that this was normal for old police and military versions. They didn't want the mags to accidentally drop out of the gun during use.
    Sounded good to me at the time, 20 years ago.

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    That is correct, when the Glock's were first introduced the magazines were designed to not drop free. They were changed later on to drop free.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I have (2)GEN 3 G21s and between the two, they have had about 350 rounds put through them. I used a dozen different factory mags and NEVER had one hang up.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whether or not a mag drops free... Whether or not Glock platform...

It's a training issue.

Train yourself to use your weak hand to pull the mag out/down as it's on it's way to the extra mag for a reload and it won't ever be a problem. (Presuming an "all is as well as it can be" two-handed grip, obviously)

-J-

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    as most have stated:
    1) glocks are supposed to be drop-free, although not spring assisted
    2) some glock mags fit tight. PRO-TIP: (I'm not a pro, but it sounds better than just a "tip") WRAP the mag in an old/thin rag or t-shirt and insert it into the magwell until it locks in. Leave it overnight or even a few days. NOt sure why this works, but it seems to work well. (I've done this on a gen3 G23, gen3 G27, and a gen4 G34.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've never had the problem but I would imagine that leaving the mag fully loaded for an extended period could very well cause it to swell a bit. That would explain the problem.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[/FONT]

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Early Glock mags had a round bottom notch at the top rear, were not metal lined and would not drop free. Later mags have a square bottom notch, are metal lined, and might drop free.

Top Bottom