• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Glock has had a .380 for a long time I think its a model 25. Doesn't have enough points to be imported or some other BATF craziness. I believe they sell them in Europe where people take a .380 pistol way to seriously. The last .380 I shot that seemed ok to me was my dad's colt. It was single action and small enough to conceal well.

The .380 is popular in some countries of Europe where civilians are cant legally own guns chambered in military calibers like 9mm Luger.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Glock really missed out on the single stack polymer game. They will be playing catch-up for quite awhile. They should've done a 9mm, or even a 10mm. No one has done single stack 10mm yet.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Glock really missed out on the single stack polymer game. They will be playing catch-up for quite awhile. They should've done a 9mm, or even a 10mm. No one has done single stack 10mm yet.

Not if they even really care about that small market of compact concealed carry guns when they sell guns to hundreds of police and military angencies around the world. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glock has had a .380 for a long time I think its a model 25. Doesn't have enough points to be imported or some other BATF craziness. I believe they sell them in Europe where people take a .380 pistol way to seriously. The last .380 I shot that seemed ok to me was my dad's colt. It was single action and small enough to conceal well.

I dont think its a BATF import thing, unless they exempt LEO purchases from that points requirement. They DO sell the 25 in the states, but only to LEOs. (per the Glock website) I very most certainly could be wrong.

I dont see why they needed a 42. Why not just open up the 25 to the civilian market instead? :scratch: probably some weird obscure bureaucratic BS. :xmad:

Then again marketing isnt my specialty... :dunno:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I dont think its a BATF import thing, unless they exempt LEO purchases from that points requirement. They DO sell the 25 in the states, but only to LEOs. (per the Glock website) I very most certainly could be wrong.

I dont see why they needed a 42. Why not just open up the 25 to the civilian market instead? :scratch: probably some weird obscure bureaucratic BS. :xmad:

:dunno:.......never unnerstood 'at 1 ,myself........only available to law enforcement.....

Bye Bye Lcp, Bye Bye Diamondback, Bye Bye Bersa, yeah it would appear there is. After all, it is a glock

:yesway:.......they'a sell a AZZload o' these........:):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

The Glock 25 and 28 could only be sold to Agencies. Sort of a moot point due to the same size guns could be had in 9mm and 40 cal but that's just me. Part of the BATF "point" thing was that it has to have so much manufactured in the US. Glock never did any firearms here until a couple years ago. If same gun is made in the US was perfectly legal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Glock 25 and 28 could only be sold to Agencies. Sort of a moot point due to the same size guns could be had in 9mm and 40 cal but that's just me. Part of the BATF "point" thing was that it has to have so much manufactured in the US. Glock never did any firearms here until a couple years ago. If same gun is made in the US was perfectly legal.

I guess I still have the question of "why" on the 25/28. Was it company policy, BATF, etc? Why not just "unlock" the previous models and release them for consumer use? Not that Im going to lose a minute of sleep, but the curious part of me still wonders. Sometimes its fun not only to know the why, but also the how even if it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Monkey,

If I'm not mistaken, those European .380 Glocks were fairly big-sized guns, and not really concealable at all. I don't think there was much market interest in a big .380 pistol here...especially judging by the disappearance of good guns like the Colt Government model .380 (not the Mustang models, but the full-up Gov't. .380), the Browning BDA .380 style gun, and of course the Taurus PT58 (I think it was called). Americans who consciously take a down-step in power seem to want small size...not many people want a full-size mouse gun. I don't think the 25/28 or whatever would sell here, even if "unlocked" by the powers-that-be. There was a market need for them in Europe, because of governments there not allowing civilian ownership of "military" caliber pistols there (research calibers like 7.65 (.30) Parabellum, some of the oddball 9mm calibers, etc. and guns like the Benelli 76/77/80 for interesting background on weird calibers in sporting guns to get around the rules).

So that addresses the market aspect of the (un)availability of the guns. As far as the legality angle of the "old" .380 Glocks in the US, I believe it's the Gun Control Act of 1968 that is at fault. When that was passed, I think the industry saw it as an opportunity to get a crass protectionist measure into place...the public wanted "Saturday Night Specials" to be more tightly regulated (whether because of the RFK assassination or what, I don't know, I wasn't alive yet)...and the American gun industry wanted protection from the multitude of Walthers, Tanfoglios, or whatever being imported. That's why you got the US-manufactured PPK, etc...it employed Americans and thus got around the protectionist aspect of the GCA '68.

Hope that's not too long-winded, but you sounded curious...if my historical account is inaccurate, I beg instruction and correction from someone older with a good memory.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Monkey,

If I'm not mistaken, those European .380 Glocks were fairly big-sized guns, and not really concealable at all.
    The are the same size as the 26/27 and the 19/23, and are blowback rather than locked breech.

They didn't meet the point requirements for import, and to my knowledge, Glock hasn't yet made any of these models in the USA. Being the same size as their .40 and 9mm counterparts, and being that "military calibers" are not restricted here like they are in some places (Mexico for example), I don't see much market for those models in the States. Though I'd prefer a 9mm, there may well be a market for a sub-compact single-stack "Pocket Glock".

Here's the point system explained:

Here's some more info on the "point" system. The Glock 26 just makes it with 75 points.

What is the BATF points system and how does it affect Glocks?
    Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
    Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
    Forged steel frame 15
    Forged HTS alloy frame 20
    Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
    .22 short and .25 auto 0
    .22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
    9mm parabellum and over 10
    Locked breech mechanism 5
    Loaded chamber indicator 5
    Grip safety 3
    Magazine safety 5
    Firing pin block or lock 10
    External hammer 2
    Double action 10
    Drift adjustable target sight 5
    Click adjustable target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores:
    Length (7.28") 5
    Weight (24.79oz) 25
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores:
    Length (6.29") 1
    Weight (21.87oz) 22
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2
    Total 75

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
    - all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
    - target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
    - target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
    - due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "- due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported"

So if they cant be imported, how can they be sold to LEOs? Under the same exemptions that they are allowed to buy SBRs for SWAT, etc?

Top Bottom