• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I know this is where I'm gonna get the good and the bad and be able to make a well informed decision. Thanks ahead of time!

I'm not the biggest glock fan but the reason behind that is because I haven't spent the most of my shooting time behind one. I'm changing that and my Glock 17 is becoming my favorite range pistol. It took a lot for me to get it to this point. That being said I'm thinking hard on adding a GLOCK 34.

What would I use it for? Range, carry.

Besides length, what differences should I expect from the 34 that my 17 doesn't give?
    So what are the +'s and -'s that I should consider in making my decision? I've never shot a 34 so I'm going to really be relying on you guys!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What would I use it for? Range, carry.

Besides length, what differences should I expect from the 34 that my 17 doesn't give?

For "Range" use, what do you think the 34 will give you that the 17 doesn't do? slightly longer sight radius? slightly improved [theoretically] accuracy as a result?

For "carry" use, what benefit do you get from a longer slide, larger gun that offers no more capacity?

The 34 comes w/ a "-" connector. you can put that in your 17.
    The 34 comes w/ an extended slide release. I had to put the slide release from a 17 in mine. My grip kept activating the slide lock mid-mag w/ the bigger lever.
    The 34 comes w/ an extended mag release. Great for comptition. I won't have an extended mag release on a carry gun. The mag ends up in the dirt if I use a flashlight in the rogers/SF method and by leaning up against something I've released the mag before even through a kydex holster.

I bought a 34 for competition use, and honestly if I were doing it over again I'd probably just buy a 17 plus an extended mag release.

-rvb

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Most Glock 34 owners use them for the "Run and Gun" games...

I did for 1 match and quickly sold it and went another direction... nothing against the 34, I just learned that Glocks dont fit me...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No run and gun for me. I've always said glocks didn't fit me either but Its starting to "click" after lots of shooting and adjusting.
    sounds like the 34 wouldn't give me any advantage that my 17 can't.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I like my 34 and have gravitated away from carrying my 17 to the 34.. Not sure why, it just points a little better and recoil is even easier to manage. Generally I'm carrying my 34 but at times I carry the RI 22 TCM. If push comes to shove it's the only handgun I have that will shoot through soft body armor. A year ago I wouldn't have considered the "body armor" piece of the puzzle but these days who knows what you might run into.:dunno: If you get the 34 and don't like it, there always seems to be a market for them.
    Just my .02

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Depending on your age, that little extra sight radius can make a substantial difference. Other then that, you won't gain a lot between a 17 and a 34. That being said, I love both my Glock 34's.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My G34 gen4 is not a self defense firearm, but it could be. It's a super smooth shooter. My G34 is purely a range gun. The G34 comes with many of the add-ons that many people add anyway. I think the linkage on mine is polished a little better that other model Glocks. It also comes with a lighter trigger pull from the getgo. Is it worth a hundred plus dollars more than a G17? I don't know, but I have already forgotten the extra bucks I paid for mine earlier this year. Now I thinking about the G17L

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My 34 is my range/class/fun gun, and my 35 is my HD gun. They are the best shooters Glock makes, IMO. The full-size Glock frames aren't "carry" guns for me, so why not go with the extra barrel length (velocity/energy) and sight radius (accuracy)? I don't own a G22, and the only reason I own a 17 is for a suppressor host.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It is hard to say if you would get much mileage out of a 34 since you already have a 17. If you were debating between the 2 I'd easily recommend the 34. If you are looking to out some time in on some of the shooting sports, which I think everybody should at some time or other, then the 34 would easily come back into play.

Having said that, my Gen 4 34 is easily now my favorite pistol I own and would carry it if it weren't for how much I like my G19.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Dusty said it right, as have the others above.
    In general, if you like the G17, you'll love the G34!!
    I've owned agen3 and gen4 G34 and love them. I shot the gen3 a little better, but prefer some of the features on a gen4. I wouldn't hesitate to do a straight trade for a gen3.
    (pro) aftermarket accessories - for competition, you'll find everything you could possibly want since the G34 is so popular in shooting sports. Plus, ALMOST all parts and accessories are completely interchangeable. (con) I say "almost" because you'll find the occasional holster that narrows or closes off for a G17 fit. Otherwise, springs, sights, magwells, mag accessories, etc are identical to the G17. As of right now gen3 guns are more friendly with aftermarket accessories.
    Now, since you already have a G17, the benefits aren't as outstanding as they might be if you were switching from a compact frame or a different brand.
    Also, if you are looking at making major power factor in competition, the extra barrel length certainly doesn't hurt.
    If you were looking at competition and range gun, I'd say sell the G17 and get the G34 - or keep both.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I am a Glock Armorer and a GSSF member. I have owned about all the Glock 9mm and .45 models over the years. That being said, I only have 2 Glock pistols now. I have a G36 .45 compact and a Gen 4 G34. The G36 is my EDC and the G34 is in my BOB next to my M4. I feel the G34 is one of the best combat handguns made. I like my 1911's, but if the SHTF I want a G34. The Gen 4 fits my hand a little better than the Gen 3. I like to keep my Glocks all stock. I do like the 33rd mags. The G17 is a great gun, I seem to shoot the 34 a little better. Is it worth the extra money?? I think so.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    If you like to keep your GLOCKS stock, buy the 34 since the mag rel, slide release, trigger 3.5# and sights make for a very nice overall package. I suspect the 34 as configured is a good value if you consider adding all of the aforementioned later...it is the best, softest shooting GLOCK IMHO.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    WOW! This is why I asked this question here! Look at all the super knowledgable guys who gave great advice! Thanks so much!!
    i think I must get a 34 to at least see how it fits me. Now I must decide gen3 or gen 4?? I seem to like the mag release better on the 4's and also the grip texture, although over time I'm not sure if it won't lose some bite? Who knows, this may become my main self defense piece if it points and shoots as nice as you all say. Many thanks to all who responded!! I ran out of rep before I could get you all.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm all about the Gen 4 now. I love the Gen 3 but the changes they've made in the Gen 4 are worth it. Grippy texture but isn't uncomfortable, oversized magazine release and the dual recoil spring really does make a difference.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    purpose

My 2 cents: I own two Glocks and I want just one more, the 34. I have a 26 and 21. The 26 for carry, the 21 for HD and occasional carry, and I want the 34 for range fun and a 2nd HD option or shtf choice.
    One more thing. My philosophy is to only purchase a gun for a specific purpose, like I stated above. I'd just ask yourself what role the 34 will fulfill and decide if your 17 can't do it. Maybe you need to choose one or the other.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can the new dual recoil springs be used in the gen 3 glocks? If not, does glock have any plans to create a dual recoil spring for older models? Or any after market options?
    thanks

i think I must get a 34 and at least put a couple hundred rounds or more downrange with it to see how i like it. If I don't then I can always sell it because its a glock.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Even though the G34 was designed as a competition pistol, it has multiple roles that it plays very well. Besides at the range, it makes a great nightstand weapon with a light attached, and I carry a Gen4 OWB in the winter when wearing a long coat. If you like the G17, you will like the G34 even more.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've owned a Gen 3 23, 19, 26 and 34. The Gen 3 34 was for bedside, range, steel shoot and SHTF. Only have one Glock now, a Gen 4 17. Got sick of all the brass in the face with my late model Gen 3 9mms. The first time I shot the Gen 4 17 was at a steel shoot. Had my best score ever that night. No brass in the face. Love the grip with no backstrap attached, and I have big hands. To me the shorter 17 is easier to point shoot. Installed a (-) connector and some AmeriGlo sights. Did the $.25 trigger job. Very happy with it.

Top Bottom