Glock 3.5ib trigger for carry...convince me either way!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I would be against it; Use what LE uses, otherwise you could be having to explain your choice to a jury, and they probably won't believe you.

Mosad Ayoob wrote an article I read not too long ago in "The Complete Book of Handguns 2012" about his being part of a defense team for a police officer who shot a suspect, and the prosecutor was pressing charges because the city was going to riot over the ordeal. Instead of pursuing the case as an inquiry into justifiable shooting or not justifiable shooting, he pursued the case as a negligent "Accidental Discharge" in the heat of the moment. The prosecution pushed a theory that the officer cocked his handgun into SA mode and then "bumped" the trigger, discharging the firearm because his firearm had a "hair trigger" and was thus "reckless". He referenced 3 court cases related to "hair triggers" and one of them was specifically about a LE officer who installed the 3.5lb disconnector in his Glock, and a court disallowing the dismissal of the unintentional shooting case because the officer had swapped in that 3.5lb disconnector, reducing the trigger pull force to below spec.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to give the prosecution any opening to pursue, including the subjective "hair trigger" argument, to justify my imprisonment, should I ever have to use my firearm. If you stick with what LE uses, they can't call it evil, or unreliable, or having a "hair trigger" to put you away on a technicality or subjective value judgement that you can be sure that the jury would not be qualified to consider.

Good luck.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Even after installing the 3.5 lb trigger, is it actually 3.5 pounds?:dunno: Have you guys verified this? I've heard that even after installation it may only reduce it to around 4-4.5 pounds. Just wondering if what I was told was inaccurate.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Even after installing the 3.5 lb trigger, is it actually 3.5 pounds?:dunno: Have you guys verified this? I've heard that even after installation it may only reduce it to around 4-4.5 pounds. Just wondering if what I was told was inaccurate.

Just putting in a 3.5 connector won't reduce the pull to 3.5, generally it's still above 4. When I do triggers (on Gen 3s) they will "pull" on an RCBS gauge at about 3.25 pulling at the bottom of the trigger and 3.5 in the middle of the trigger while still using the stock firing pin spring. Gen 4s tend to come out about 1/4 to 1/2 pound heavier because of a design change in the trigger mechanism housing. You are correct in thinking that people seldom verify what they promise you with a gauge. You should also be wary of using the reduced power firing pin spring to lower the pull on a pistol that is used for EDC. There's a real possibility of having a bit of a hard primer and hearing a click instead of a bang using the reduced power spring but that is how some guys get the number they are looking for. :D
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Just putting in a 3.5 connector won't reduce the pull to 3.5, generally it's still above 4. When I do triggers (on Gen 3s) they will "pull" on an RCBS gauge at about 3.25 pulling at the bottom of the trigger and 3.5 in the middle of the trigger while still using the stock firing pin spring. Gen 4s tend to come out about 1/4 to 1/2 pound heavier because of a design change in the trigger mechanism housing. You are correct in thinking that people seldom verify what they promise you with a gauge. You should also be wary of using the reduced power firing pin spring to lower the pull on a pistol that is used for EDC. There's a real possibility of having a bit of a hard primer and hearing a click instead of a bang using the reduced power spring but that is how some guys get the number they are looking for. :D
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

I never even thought about messing with the power firing pin spring. I'm new to guns and that method to reduce the trigger pull never even accured to me. But yeah, you are right. If I ever need to draw and fire my EDC (God forbid) and the round in the chamber has a difficult primer and I hear a "click" - WOW that would make for a really bad day.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

I don't have a gauge, but IMO it did not lighten in too much. There is still enough tension on it for EDC for me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've had no issues using the stock Glock trigger effectively and accurately.

Lighter triggers can improve the shooting of a good marksman, but they can't compensate for fundamental problems with one's marksmanship skill.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    How about a Glock with a 3.5 lbs. trigger and a Serpa holster. Now that is a accident waiting to happen IMO

I lol'd at this only because it hits so close to home. Before I "knew better" the first handgun I purchased was a few years ago was a G19, 3.5lb trigger and I regularly carried it in a Serpa. :):

Serpa aside, I stick to the "my finger is my safety" school of though. If something gets in the trigger guard that is capable of pulling 3.5lbs (I think they're closer to 4-4.5 anyway), it's probably capable of pulling another one or two.

JetGirl's theory is an interesting one for sure, but I'd think just as easily the case could be made that you modified it for a lighter trigger pull to be more accurate and reduce collateral damage a la the NYPD range day parade a few weeks ago.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I've had no issues using the stock Glock trigger effectively and accurately.

Lighter triggers can improve the shooting of a good marksman, but they can't compensate for fundamental problems with one's marksmanship skill.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.

The lighter trigger can be a crutch for someone that hasn't mastered the fundamentals of trigger control. I'll bet that anyone that is wicked accurate with a 6 lb trigger will be wicked accurate with a 3.5 lb trigger ... not necessarily guaranteed to be so the other way around.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    How about a Glock with a 3.5 lbs. trigger and a Serpa holster. Now that is a accident waiting to happen IMO

Why is this an accident waiting to happen? I carry a Walther PPQ in a IMI Defense holster; a very similar rig to a Glock in a Serpa holster. I haven't messed with the trigger (the factory pull is around 5.5 lbs). The trigger guard is completely covered and provides retention. I haven't had a single incident. :dunno:

Top Bottom