• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock 26 or Glock 30 for conealed carry?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    The 26 would be my choice. It holds a few more rounds and the ammo is much more affordable. With good shot placement of 124 +P it is a force to be reckoned with and its smaller then a 30 by quite a bit.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I don't think you can go wrong either way.

G19 really isn't that much larger, but the G26 does have a shorter dimension in the grip, which makes concealed carry a little easier. Though, thousands of G19 owners make it work.

Same argument can be used for the 26/30 comparison as well. A G30 in a Crossbreed can be carried all day without a lot of issues ...unless you're in swim trunks. :D

Recoil? I've never shot a 26, so I can't compare. Though, the difference in recoil between my Taurus 709 and G30 was really not that great. A 9mm was not necessarily "easier" to keep on target. I mean, they both have recoil, and you still need to monitor your sight picture, but either is very much doable with training ....and, besides, that's half the fun!

For that matter, I don't consider the G27's recoil too "snappy" (which it is) to make the thing feel like it's going to leave my hand, or keep me from hitting a target. Again, with training, one can become accustomed to it and the recoil will be much less of an issue.

Where the G26 clearly wins is in ammo cost. Even when reloading, it's still going to be comparatively less expensive. It is also significantly lighter than the G30. As it is, I've found myself carrying my G27 more than my G30 lately.

When all is said and done, however, either choice is a winner. Besides, you'll eventually end up getting the other anyway! :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a 30, a 21, and a 27.

Of the 2 you stated, for concealed carry I'd probably pick the 26. My 27 is substantially easier to carry and conceal than my 30. Now for shooting purposes, I'd much rather shoot my 30 as its much less felt recoil than my 27, and I shoot significantly better with it.

My brother in FL has a 26 and loves it. He also has a 21, and has had a 30 in the past, as well as a 36.

I've never shot a 26, but have essentially carried one as it is the same size as the 27, and my vote goes to the 26 simply for concealability and due to the reduced cost of ammo for the 9mm. I carry my 27 in a Galco King Tuk.

I don't think that the 26 is a better gun than the 30, but I do think its a better concealed carry than the 30.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Thank you everyone for your replies. For my first dedicated concealed carry pistol, I'm leaning toward the 26 over the 30. for the firepower/magazine options, cost of shooting, and concealability. I may purchase a Glock 21 for carrying in the colder months.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Excellent suggestion, but I think I'd rather have a smaller gun in the 26 for most days, knowing the 9mm will take care of business with a good shot, then get the 21 for my first .45. If I knew I could only get just ONE pistol, I think I would go with your suggestion in a heartbeat.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    This is really down to preference - which do you like more, 9mm or 11.4554mm or whatever you call it on this side of the pond?

Personally I would vote G26.
    Smaller, so easier to conceal even in summer wear.
    Cheaper ammunition for practice, while still powerful enough.
    Larger capacity, with option to use those huge magazines.

There appear to be more options for the G26. Those +2 grip extensions make the ergonomics right even for me, and I find the Desert Eagle is a perfectly comfortable fit in my hands. There's also the option of adding a spacer and shoving in a G19 magazine for a slightly larger, steadier hold.

Oh dear, I've just talked myself into a Glock.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I can't comment on the carry aspect, as I don't carry much.... Shame on me.... But I love my G30 SF! Fun to shoot, I agree, not as big of a butt kicker as you'd think. I have never held a "non SF" g30, but I'm sure it's probably same size/comfort. I will say I wish it was as cheap to shoot as a 9, I don't shoot it NEARLY enough.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    The 26 would be my choice. It holds a few more rounds and the ammo is much more affordable. With good shot placement of 124 +P it is a force to be reckoned with and its smaller then a 30 by quite a bit.
    10 rounds vs 10 rounds am I missing something here with the stock mags?:dunno:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My personal preference is the Glock 26. I don't think the advantages of the 45 caliber for effective in self defense out ways the cost of the gun and ammo.

You need to practice with your gun often and if the cost of ammo keeps you from doing so, then it's definately a con on my list.

I know some people say a 9mm isn't big enough, but if you place your shot properly it only takes one and a 22 can stop a BG just as easy as a 45, so a 9mm should be sufficiant too.

I carry a Glock 26 so I am bias in this poll. :)

What she said.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    IMHO, Glock just ought to make the SF the standard 45 frame and due away with the older frame size entirely.

Agree!
    This should happen as Gen 4 models gradually replace the older offerings.
    However, in my case, I have relatively long fingers; so, the "bricky" size of the grip never bothered me. People with smaller hands and-or shorter fingers are a very different story!

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I have short, stubby, fingers ...and love both my Gen3 G30sf and Gen4 G27 w/no extra backstrap installed. I also play a 35" scale bass, but I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. ...just sayin' :D

Top Bottom