• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Alright, you guys talked me into it! Thanks for all of the holster recommendations, I will definitely check into those.

So what would a titanium guide rod and 23lb recoil spring do for me?

Forgive my ignorance on some of these subjects, I still have a lot to learn about this.

roadstar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Miami County
    Sounds like I might be a little too late, but I'll throw my .02 in anyway.

I carried a Glock 23 regularly from 1994 until about 2006. It was my first carry gun and I shot the snot out of it. It is a fine weapon, and if you are a one or two handgun guy, I say buy it. It's a good deal.

If, like most of us, you're a one or two-DOZEN handgun guy, I would strongly suggest the G19 instead.

My first reason for making the change was to reduce my caliber count. After more than a decade of accumulating handguns I took a look at my ammo supply: 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 spl, .357 Mag, .45 Colt, .45 S&W, .44 spl, .44 Mag, .32 ACP, .22 LR. Complete madness! I like to have a good supply and it was getting to be too much. The only handgun I had in .40 S&W was the 23 so sold off all my loaded ammo and empty brass and put all that $ back into 9mm. The .44's went as well. I like my model 29, but I'm not a hunter and I never shot it, so I traded it for a new S&W M40-1.

I used to get all wrapped up in the 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45 thing. I've come around to thinking fast, accurate hits, and lots of them, means more than what handgun you are shooting and what the caliber is. 16 rounds of Winchester Ranger 9mm sounds better to me than 8 round of .45 ACP these days. And as much as I love my Colt 1911's, fact is I handle and shoot my G19 much better. If I knew I was walking into a fight I would want the Glock 19.

Ammo cost and availability. I like to practice with my carry gun. I try, but don't always get it done, to take it out every 2 weeks and put 100 to 150 rounds through it. So lets say 250 rounds a month X 10 months a year. 2500 rounds of 9mm are substantially less expensive than 2500 rounds of .40 S&W. .40 S&W is getting to be pretty common, but I would still say that there are places where you can't buy it that would still carry 9mm.

No doubt, the G19/G23 is a great fighting platform. I've just gotten to the point where I think a good 9mm is about as good as a .40 or .45. It's cheaper to practice, more pleasant to shoot and more controllable shot to shot and holds more rounds. For that reason, I would suggest a G19 over a G23.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    No doubt, the G19/G23 is a great fighting platform. I've just gotten to the point where I think a good 9mm is about as good as a .40 or .45. It's cheaper to practice, more pleasant to shoot and more controllable shot to shot and holds more rounds. For that reason, I would suggest a G19 over a G23.

:+1:

I have to back you here. My favorite carry gun for the longest was a G23, but I've recently also switched to the G19. I wanted something I could buy lot of ammo for so I could practice with it frequently.

James Yeager teaches his courses using a G19, and that solidified my choice even more.

Two great DVDs

YouTube - Shooting Missology Trailer

YouTube - Fighting Pistol Trailer

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    G23

THANK GOD FOR THE GLOCK 23,LOVE IT.SOLD ONE A WHILE AGO AND CRIED AND WAS DEPRESSED UNTIL I GOT ANOTHER ONE.IF YOU GET ONE, HUG IT AND SQUEEZE IT AND LOVE IT........

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    My brother had a 23 for a while, so I've got a little range time with it. It's true that the recoil isn't as smooth or natural as a less "hot" round like the 9 or 45 (though 45 makes up for it in sheer "boom"), and 40 ammo is about as expensive as 45, at least here in the Evansville area -- and they cost about 50% more than 9. That said, the 40 is a great compromise between the capacity of the 9 and the power of the 45, and that makes for an excellent carry round. (And the Glock format should also help mitigate the recoil issue a bit.)

You asked how it compares to the G21? The 21 is a full-sized 45, whereas the 23 is a compact 40, so that's not really a good comparison. If you were thinking about 45 instead of 40, I'm afraid Glock doesn't make a compact 45, only subcompacts -- the G30 (with double-stack 10-round mags with finger extensions that make it almost a compact, but the grip might be too fat for you) and the G36 (thinner with single-stack 6-round mags, again usually with extensions). If you want to look at all Glocks and their stats, just go to their website (just type "glock" into Google and select the first one on the list -- should be labeled "GLOCK Safe Action Pistols"), click on "Pistols" on the top menu bar, and then select "Models" on the resultant menu. Then browse to your Glock-loving heart's content!

But if you think you'd like a .40, the 23 is a great gun, and that sounds like a great deal.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    At that price if you decide you dont like it as a carry peice you could always sell it for that and get you a G 26 or G 19 in 9mm, it is a good buy.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have been going over this same battle for my new carry gun. I would get the 40cal if you aren't going to shoot it that much. If you decide you are going to shoot a lot then step down to the 9mm and sell the 40.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have been going over this same battle for my new carry gun. I would get the 40cal if you aren\'t going to shoot it that much. If you decide you are going to shoot a lot then step down to the 9mm and sell the 40.
    Or drop in a 9mm barrel for range and carry it with .40.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I can't wait to pass some ammo through mine. I have fired the G23 before, but for the size and caliber, I can't think of a better gun from the Glock line other than the G30, but that is not in question here :D . The G23 and G19 are truely Austrian wonderweapons, combining low weight, durability, reliability and firepower in a compact package that isn't hard to handle and or violent in recoil (compared to compact 10mm and .357 Sig-mund :D ).

That being said, who ever came up with the G29 MUST be into pain! :D

BLASTINGJOE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    I have had a glock 23c. It was a good gun. However you should keep in mind if you are carring it they can be big and heavy...

Top Bottom