• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This will probably stir up a hornet's nest, but as a newbie I do want some opinions. Eventually, I'd like to get a 45 as my next handgun. I like Glocks, but I do already have a polymer striker fired gun. And Glocks look awful. The 1911 is better looking, classic, etc. I'm not looking to start a thread war, I just want some honest opinions about which you would choose and why. FYI, my EDC is a Ruger SR9c. :popcorn:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    well anybody that know me knows I am biased toward 1911. but really the biggest problem I have with the 21 is the grip size. you really have to have some good sized hands to be comfortable with it.
    Plus the 1911 is prettier :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    well anybody that know me knows I am biased toward 1911. but really the biggest problem I have with the 21 is the grip size. you really have to have some good sized hands to be comfortable with it.
    I always knew I liked that kid.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    As stated, unless you're a decent size person, the 21 is pretty large for any kind of CC, not to mention just holding it.

I'd look at the a 4" 1911 Commander vs. a Glock 30.

......then I'd buy the 1911.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    the Glock 21 is awesome.
    my dream gun is the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry II
    (Stainless, wood grips, Lopro combat rear, dovetail front)
    to each his own. glock vs. 1911? meh. I like em both.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis

I owned a Glock 21 Gen4. I have tiny hands and shot it pretty well. Sold the Glcck to fund another 1911. The 1911 is a better fit to me. And I shoot better groups with the 1911.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Now we are talking! There is certain to be plenty of Butt Hurt in this thread!!

The trigger is so much better in a 1911. Groups will most certainly be better since you are dealing with a single-action pistol over the double-action-only Glock. Obviously the 1911 is a much better looking gun and it just makes you happy when you are using one. But, I would take my Glock over a 1911 for everything that I do. Lighter weight, greater capacity, simpler design, lower cost... again, you aren't going to shoot single-hole groups with the 21 like you would with a 1911 but that isn't my goal when I'm shooting, training or competing; I need good accuracy, reliability, speed and simplicity and the Glock gives me that. With the new Gen 4 design even the wide-body G21 is manageable for most shooters. Use one before you make your decision if possible.

On another note, if for some reason you just can't get past the G21's girth, take a look at the M&P45. Less capacity in their standard mags than the G21 but still holds 2-3 more rounds per mag than most standard 1911 magazines.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    On another note, if for some reason you just can't get past the G21's girth, take a look at the M&P45. Less capacity in their standard mags than the G21 but still holds 2-3 more rounds per mag than most standard 1911 magazines.

Yes, listen to DustyDawg on the M&P (very encouraging to hear you speak such things my friend). There's a GREAT M&P45 for grabs right now in the classifieds!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/306711-m-p45-fde.html

:D:D:D

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    As stated, unless you're a decent size person, the 21 is pretty large for any kind of CC, not to mention just holding it.

I'd look at the a 4" 1911 Commander vs. a Glock 30.

......then I'd buy the 1911.

I wasn't looking to CC this gun. More home defense, possibly the occasional OC.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I dont mean this to stir anything up either but here's my take. I think a 1911 often times makes us have "pretty girl syndrome" ....In other words, we get infatuated with how it looks but may forget its practicality. With that said, 1911's are great guns, but you need to ask yourself what role will it fill? As a fun gun I would say go ahead. As a GTW, defensive gun, I would say weigh your options. Weight, size, capacity are all issues to take into consideration. As a home defense gun, I would suggest something with a rail for possible light attachment. Many 1911's dont come standard with this (yes I know they are out there) but just another thing to think about. Unless you are dead set on a Glock as your other option, I would also take a look the m&p line, Sig's new p227, FNP series, etc. I don't have anything against 1911's at all, and I know many consider them to be the knees bees when it comes to firearms. I would just figure out why you want one, and go from there. Worst case scenario you can always sell (whatever you get) to fund a different firearm.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I dont mean this to stir anything up either but here's my take. I think a 1911 often times makes us have "pretty girl syndrome" ....In other words, we get infatuated with how it looks but may forget its practicality. With that said, 1911's are great guns, but you need to ask yourself what role will it fill? As a fun gun I would say go ahead. As a GTW, defensive gun, I would say weigh your options. Weight, size, capacity are all issues to take into consideration. As a home defense gun, I would suggest something with a rail for possible light attachment. Many 1911's dont come standard with this (yes I know they are out there) but just another thing to think about. Unless you are dead set on a Glock as your other option, I would also take a look the m&p line, Sig's new p227, FNP series, etc. I don't have anything against 1911's at all, and I know many consider them to be the knees bees when it comes to firearms. I would just figure out why you want one, and go from there. Worst case scenario you can always sell (whatever you get) to fund a different firearm.

What a buzz kill
    .. Good post though :yesway:

Top Bottom