• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I dont mean this to stir anything up either but here's my take. I think a 1911 often times makes us have "pretty girl syndrome" ....In other words, we get infatuated with how it looks but may forget its practicality. With that said, 1911's are great guns, but you need to ask yourself what role will it fill? As a fun gun I would say go ahead. As a GTW, defensive gun, I would say weigh your options. Weight, size, capacity are all issues to take into consideration. As a home defense gun, I would suggest something with a rail for possible light attachment. Many 1911's dont come standard with this (yes I know they are out there) but just another thing to think about. Unless you are dead set on a Glock as your other option, I would also take a look the m&p line, Sig's new p227, FNP series, etc. I don't have anything against 1911's at all, and I know many consider them to be the knees bees when it comes to firearms. I would just figure out why you want one, and go from there. Worst case scenario you can always sell (whatever you get) to fund a different firearm.

But I like pretty girls! I agree with AllenM that this is an excellent post, but being an older guy with smaller hands the 1911 really is the bee's knees. I have a G23 with a big 'ol light hangin' under it in the night stand, I really like to carry & shoot my G36 (as well as my PF9, CS9 and S&W M36, no I wasn't the guy at the state fair carrying 5 guns), but I love my 1911. Find what you like and what works for you (there are a LOT of good ones on the market) then get it. Personally I'm kinda like Jesus as far a guns go, I love 'em all, and no apologies for that.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Uhm....whats GTW ?:dunno: hate asking stoopid questions

Yes GTW in this thread means "Go To War"......Perhaps, not the best term?? But yes I don't believe a 1911 is MY first choice GTW gun. As in, if God forbid I was in a situation where I fighting other people on a daily basis, be it war, be an officer (potentially in conflict daily) I would not choose one. I realize they were used, they are used, they are adorned "THE only war gun" BUT....it's just not my cup O tea. Again, no disrespect to 1911 aficionados and or purists. It just wouldn't be my first choice. I like them, and I like them alot. They are accurate, reliable, pretty, etc. etc. They just dont fit MY needs. Again....we're all different and like what we like. Not trying to start a verbal war here, just my :twocents:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I like my 1911's BUT!! carry a Glock

Yeah, but do you carry a 21? I love my Glock 21, but I carry a 3.5" Kimber 1911. That 21 is a freakin brick. But then again, I CC. If I were into OC, the 21 would get more love.

Wait... a 1911 is not a GTW gun?

Hell no! You don't wanna get it all bloody and gutty.;)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    From what I'm hearing, the Glock would be better for the Zombie Apocalypse, but not necessarily for EDC. I'd better go find some of these to shoot.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    From what I'm hearing, the Glock would be better for the Zombie Apocalypse, but not necessarily for EDC. I'd better go find some of these to shoot.

Depends on your poison. If you wanna stay with .45 there's all the "30 series" of glocks. I carried a G30SF for awhile and while it was a bit "bricky" still a good choice. Also it seems like the new G30 S seems to be gettin good reviews. Trust me when I say this, finding a perfect EDC gun is tough. I've shuffled through atleast 10 personally.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can and do carry a G21 quite often. Granted it is in the winter when clothing tends to be a bit bulkier and with darker colors but carrying a gun has as much to do with the belt and holster as it does the size of the gun. If you dress appropriately you could probably OWB a Desert Eagle without being noticed. The G30 is another great option and I sincerely like mine a lot. It did however take a seat to my new Gen 4 G19 but only because I am currently shooting it's big brother, the G34, in IDPA.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    What ever the choice, the individual has to fit the gun. I would agree with some that the G21 grip radius is somewhat large for my hands, but if it works for you, so be it. I prefer the 1911 mainly for the "single stack" configuration which affords me a better grip. Not to Glock bash, but one cannot get 20/30 lpi checkering on a Glock. Sure, sure, they have the RTF and what not. The choice boils down to individual preference.

If I had bigger hands, a G21 would probably be on my belt.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    To spite my name I really am a huge 1911 fan and on this I will say both :) If the Glock proves too thick get rid of it and put the money towards another 1911. If cash is tight buy the Glock first as you cant buy a good 1911 for the price of the Glock.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I haven't thought about price much. It's not an immediate purchase. Probably early next year. $1000 or less preferably, if it's the right gun I may spend more.

Then there are a multitude of nice 1911s out there. The upside to the Glock is price, ease of maintenance, and ease of operation. The upside to the 1911 is heritage, trigger feel, and accuracy. I also find the 1911 fits my hand much better, but that may not hold true for you.

Top Bottom