spqr

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    I too have owned both.

I kept my G19. So, I guess, I vote for the G-19...however, I shoot an XD-9.

I sold my P226.

My observations:

P226:
    rock-solid build and quality
    very accurate
    crisp single-action trigger
    long double-action trigger
    thick grip for my hand
    I just did not like having my first shot be my least accurate due to the long pull!

G19:
    It's plastic!!! (can't decide if this is good or bad!)
    Trigger is not crisp...better with 3.5# trigger but still not crisp!
    Something like 65% of the world's police and military forces use them...sooooo...it is probably pretty reliable!
    grip fits my hand better

XD-9 just fits my hand better than both, and I like the grip safety, stiker status indicator, and loaded chamber indicator.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Everybody has an opinion, and each has inherent value. Nobody can decide for you.

I don't care for Glocks. IMO, they look like black bricks -- square and ugly. And, in a class I just took and another where I helped out, EVERY Glock used in the classes by students had at least one malfunction, mostly due to limp-wristing. That tells me that the vaunted Glock reliability depends a bit on the experience level of the shooter, thus not a good choice for all beginners.

My first semi-auto was a Glock 23. I loved it until I bought my first Sig, a P228. I never fired the Glock again. Hated the feel of the split trigger.

All that said, the Sigs are not without issue. As mentioned, the Sigs all have fat grips. I have large hands and find the stock grips to be large. If you have smaller hands, you'll probably hate the P226 grips.

The Sig must be de-cocked when reholstering, not unlike having to flip the safety on a 1911. In an emergency, this won't likely cause any issue. However, in training, it's just one extra step that the Glock shooters can skip.

The P226 is DA for the first shot out of the holster. The pull is long and hard (insert favorite joke here), but not unmanageable. I can put a dime on my front sight in dry-fire practice and press the trigger in either SA or DA and the dime won't move. After getting used to that DA trigger pull, I often found that my first shot was my best.

That said, trigger control in SA sucks with the stock trigger. It has a long reset point, then a lot of slack to take up before meeting resistance for the next shot. Sig recognized that and developed their Short Reset Trigger Kit, which seems like something that they realized after enough customer complaints and then called it an "upgrade." As soon as I can do without it, I'm having the trigger worked on. I hate the long reset.

I will likely revisit my Glock experience someday. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but you WILL definitely like one better than the other. As also said, it's an apple v an orange. I like both apples and oranges, so I'll probably get a tricked-out Glock someday.

But it will always be ugly to me. :D

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Anyone who thinks that one is ALWAYS better than the other for anything and everything is wrong.

There are some conditions where the Glock is better. There are others where the Sig is going to be better.

For example, the Glock will be better when you need to respond quickly, as there's no safety to disengage and no external hangy things that snag and prevent rapid draw. The Glock will probably better for carrying (lighter), better for customization (huge aftermarket), and better for accuracy in a followup shot (no DA/SA transition).

The Sig on the other hand, looks better and impresses fellow Sig owners that enjoy having paid more for a well-made gun.

See, they each have their strengths. It's just a question of which gun is best for YOUR uses.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Anyone who thinks that one is ALWAYS better than the other for anything and everything is wrong.

There are some conditions where the Glock is better. There are others where the Sig is going to be better.

For example, the Glock will be better when you need to respond quickly, as there's no safety to disengage and no external hangy things that snag and prevent rapid draw. The Glock will probably better for carrying (lighter), better for customization (huge aftermarket), and better for accuracy in a followup shot (no DA/SA transition).

The Sig on the other hand, looks better and impresses fellow Sig owners that enjoy having paid more for a well-made gun.

See, they each have their strengths. It's just a question of which gun is best for YOUR uses.

See? There's someone who gets it. We paid more for a better handgun. Makes perfect sense to me. :D

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The only problem I'm running in to now is trying to find a G19 in stock that I can actually touch, let alone see... I think I've called every gun store within 100 miles of my house and it's like trying to find an AR; impossible!

I guess I don't have a choice but to be patient :nailbite:? unless someone here wants to part with one...

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Great question for all INGO handgun aficianadlos. Both are great pistols. Both have their strong points. I've got a Gen 3 G19. Great pistol even for every day carry. I also have a Beretta 92FS Inox full frame 9mm for serious range day shooting. My shooting buddy has a 226 and a G17. We shoot together regularly. We are always comparing notes and always will. Tough choice here. Personally if i could swing it in your situation I'd buy both and have a standoff in my head! Just kidding! I suggest you shoot both before you make a decision and the one that fits you and makes you feel confident is the one to get. Best of luck and enjoy!

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    Well, a polymer frame is definitely going to have a longer-lasting finish than a finished steel item due to the obvious corrosion possibilities and the fact that the finish is exactly that, a finish.

Nothing a good coat of oil + regular maintenance and care won't prevent.

Shoot both, decide which you like best and get it. I shot dozens of firearms including Glocks and a p226 before I decided. I wanted a 1911 but couldn't afford the one I wanted to begin with so I started with an XDm and then a p226.

I was talking about the finish on the slide, not the frame. The finish on the sig I carried for a short time did not hold up as well as the glock which still looks new after 10 years.

You do raise an important point, the Sig does require more care and maintenance.

lilruckus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Indy
    I have shot a P226 and it's a great gun. I have small hands but didn't find the grips to be a problem. I think it shoots great and it's very accurate and feels solid. I personally like the looks of the P226 compared to a Glock but I wouldn't want to carry it everyday just due to the size and weight.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    G19 vs P228/229 may be a better comparison ...

+1. This is the better comparison, or the G17 vs. P226 for "full size."

In any event, have owned and shot both. For me, the Glock is the beater that gets carried daily and gets the job done. Nothing functionally wrong with the SIG. Just prefer to carry a less expensive gun with a more durable finish. The more expensive gun with the more fragile finish lives in the safe most of the time.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ok guys, I could use a little help from those who have personal experience with these particular firearms. I've decided that I want a new 9mm but I'm not 100% what I want to go with?

I know both of these guns have a great reputation, but I'm curious what the pros and cons would be for both? This would be my new everyday carry, I'm kinda leaning towards the G19 because I'm wanting to do a few mods to it, from what I understand the Glocks are much more conducive to modifications...?

I would greatly appreciate any input or information you guys could/would be willing to offer! Thanks in advance guys!

You have to shoot both to make that decision. Both are very reliable and accurate enough for handgun purposes.
    You should not base this decision based on internet opinions. You must shoot them and decide for yourself.

They are very different animals...

Neither will let you down.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I voted for the Glock 19. I don't know if it's the "better" firearm, as both the G19 & P226 are accurate, reliable, battle-tested weapons. However, IMO the glock 19 feels much more comfortable in my hands than the P226 (some people will surly disagree with me). You really can't go wrong with either. I would suggest shooting both and choosing the one you shoot best.

Old Coach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis, NW sid
    I have Gen 4 G19 and like it a lot. Having smaller hands, it fits me better than the 226. That being said, I shot a friend's 226 at the range and had 3 bulls out of 3 shots having never even handled a 226 before. Loved the accuracy shooting 2 handed. I have doubts about shooting single handed as the grip is a little big. To carry, I think the glock is a better choice.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The G19 is the better carry gun than the full size 226. It is lighter and the crisp trigger pull. That's me because I don't like DA/SA triggers.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I have a P226. It MAY not the best choice if you have small hands. Also, it is kind of heavy, especially with a full 17-round mag. I just don't like the way the Glock feels in my hand :dunno:

Plus, if it's good enough for the SAS and the Seals, it's good enough for me ;)

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Once again, I will NOT be changing my name to SmokinGlocks...Had a g19 and liked it. Didn't love it, so I sold it to get another Sig.

Glocks are great guns. Sigs are higher quality. Glocks are more affordable and people like loading them up with 'stuff.' Cool. I did.

I have several P226s. To me, they are more comfortable to shoot. I shoot more confidently and more accurately with the Sigs. They don't have that awkward grip angle like the Glocks do.

Everybody will eventually get sick of seeing me post the following, but it's a good analogy;

Comparing Glock to Sig Sauer is like comparing Casio to Rolex; both are accurate and dependable...however, there is a quality and craftsmanship that the Sig/Rolex share that make the difference.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Yea, about that... I haven't seen anything from sig in a long time that struck me as well made or impressive.

CZ, H&K, FN... These are brands you want to look to instead, at least in the new market.

Top Bottom