• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Ok guys, I could use a little help from those who have personal experience with these particular firearms. I've decided that I want a new 9mm but I'm not 100% what I want to go with?

I know both of these guns have a great reputation, but I'm curious what the pros and cons would be for both? This would be my new everyday carry, I'm kinda leaning towards the G19 because I'm wanting to do a few mods to it, from what I understand the Glocks are much more conducive to modifications...?

I would greatly appreciate any input or information you guys could/would be willing to offer! Thanks in advance guys!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If this is going to be an EDC, I would probably go with the Glock. If it's just another gun just for pleasure, I would choose the P226.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have owned both. Neither are my favorite. Both aver very different guns and you really should go put your hands on both. For me, for my hands, I just can't figure out how to comfortably hold a the P226. On the other hand, I don't care for the grip angle of the Glock 19 and I tend to shoot high when shooting the G19.

I owned a Gen 3 G19. Sold it. I owned a P226. Sold it. I eventually bought a Gen 4 G19. I'm still not a fan.

For my hand I much prefer the CZ75B. Its used by more military and police than either Glock or Sig. Not really popular here in the USA, but its becoming more popular/available. Its got controls like a 1911, which is my main carry gun, but is a double stack with higher capacity than my 1911 pistols so I use the CZ as my house gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    For me, of those two, definitely the G19. As melensdad said, they are two really different guns. Different triggers. Sig has a higher bore axis, decocker. Have you shot them both?

Gee223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    If you still haven't bought one, get the Sig. G19s are impossible to find and insanely priced right now (like a grand on gun broker).The Sigs are roughly still the same as they were.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Ok guys, I could use a little help from those who have personal experience with these particular firearms. I've decided that I want a new 9mm but I'm not 100% what I want to go with?

You should try them both before you decide.

I know both of these guns have a great reputation, but I'm curious what the pros and cons would be for both?

Well, I have two opinions on this:

1. They are totally different guns. The Glock is a plastic, striker fired pistol. It has a consistent trigger pull; a simple, compact, smooth shape; and a wider grip angle. The Sig is either DA/SA or DAO. It will have a smoother yet inconsistent trigger pull (in the case of DA/SA), an external hammer, grip angle closer to 90 degrees, and it will be larger.

2. I typically believe that a pistol is a pistol. Once you become fairly proficient with pistols in general, it wont matter so much which pistol is in your hand. They will both perform well.

This would be my new everyday carry, I'm kinda leaning towards the G19 because I'm wanting to do a few mods to it, from what I understand the Glocks are much more conducive to modifications...?

1. I think this depends on the type and level of modification you want to do. There are plenty of drop in parts available for the Glock. However modified, a Glock trigger is still a Glock trigger. It is still partially under the weight of the striker spring. It is still made with plastic parts riding on stamped metal bars and whatnot. The Sig has substantial machined metal internals which are conducive to nice trigger work. The DA/SA models can be made to have very nice single action triggers. Very smooth and crisp.

Both pistols have a number of after-market parts available ranging from mag wells and compensators to laser grips and trigger sets. You can do about anything to either pistol. The results will vary based on what you're doing.

What kind of modifications do you want to do?

2. If this is a carry pistol for self defense, I think most all of that modification is wasted money. You would be much better served taking a training class then putting quality rounds down range and modifying your skills and technique. There is little need to "improve" either of these pistols as gun fighting goes.

I would greatly appreciate any input or information you guys could/would be willing to offer! Thanks in advance guys!

Happy I could help.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Also, I did not vote because it comes down to personal preference. Both pistols would do the job. However, I carry a G19, and I have two others as training guns. So that is my preference.

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    G19 is my preference. Both are good reliable guns. I was issued a P226 for a few months and liked it. I would advise that for EDC, the finish on the Glock will hold up better than the Sig.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    G19 is my preference. Both are good reliable guns. I was issued a P226 for a few months and liked it. I would advise that for EDC, the finish on the Glock will hold up better than the Sig.
    Well, a polymer frame is definitely going to have a longer-lasting finish than a finished steel item due to the obvious corrosion possibilities and the fact that the finish is exactly that, a finish.

Nothing a good coat of oil + regular maintenance and care won't prevent.

Shoot both, decide which you like best and get it. I shot dozens of firearms including Glocks and a p226 before I decided. I wanted a 1911 but couldn't afford the one I wanted to begin with so I started with an XDm and then a p226.

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Let me start by saying, thank you guys, this is one of many things that I love about INGO; the willingness to help when help is needed! I do understand that these are two very different guns, however I always base my firearms purchases on two initial things, first (and most important) the history of reliability with a given firearm from said manufacturer, and second (I know this is incredibly stupid) looks, I personally happen to like the looks of both these guns!

Again, thank you guys! I look forward to seeing the outcome of the Poll.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As far as looks, honestly, I like the way both look... The glock has a very 'rugged' sort of 'modern' look to it, I just don't like the way it shoots :(.

Part of me wishes I could 'make' myself like shooting a glock because I do like the way they look/feel in the hand other than when they're being fired...

That being said, I did put a set of rubber hogue grips on my 226 and I love the way it fits my hand :).

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Between those two choices, P226. But that's using my criteria, not yours. Using your criteria, the two are a wash on reliability and the SIG is a lot better looking (in my opinion). Neither is a bad choice. And you really do need to shoot them both.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Do you have any firearms currently?

I go to the range regularly and take my p226 with me. If there were a time that you were going to a range and it was convenient for me as well I'd have no issues letting you put some through mine. Just drop me a PM if you want.

Beyond that, I believe "Pop Guns" on the east side near Washington Street has a p226 you can try on their wall of rentals, as well as a glock or two - $11 if I'm not mistaken to rent a gun, and you can swap it out as much as you like so long as you buy their ammo.

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    G19 vs P228/229 may be a better comparison.

I carry a G19 but have carried my P228 in the past. Both are great. Whichever fits your hand better.

Agreed, both good guns. And both fit my hand very differently. I very much prefer the fit/feel of the Sig. All personal preference, of course.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

I know both of these guns have a great reputation, but I'm curious what the pros and cons would be for both? This would be my new everyday carry, I'm kinda leaning towards the G19 because I'm wanting to do a few mods to it, from what I understand the Glocks are much more conducive to modifications...?

I've had both along with countless others and still have my G19. Can't be beat for an all around weapon. Carry, practice, bedside, etc... It's just a good gun. :yesway:

Top Bottom