• Glock 19 or Glock 26 for EDC?

• Total voters

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    go with the 26,i carry both 23/27 as edc the 27 is alot easier for me to conceal but what do i know i am the same guy who pocket carries a 23 to run to the store.i dont think it matters much on wich way you decide as long as you have a good holster both will serve you well. no pinky extension it defeats the purpose of the 26

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great so you can't really go wrong. I have both a G23 and G27 (same sizes as 19 and 26) and my EDC is the G27. I can carry the G23 just fine, but the G27 is a little more comfortable for me. They are both comfortable to shoot and I love them both. Just go with the one that feels right to you. Have you had a chance to shoot a 26 before? Also since you already have a G20 have you considered the G29 for ammo and mag compatability? Although the 29 would be a little thicker than the 19 and 26. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

EDIT: also, as far as the pinky extension goes I carried my G27 with the pinky extension for a long time because I thought it would make it easier to shoot accurately. Decided to run some mags through it one day without the extension and actually like shooting it better without the extension. Haven't carried with the pinky extension since. just my experience, but just saying don't rule out the standard base plates until you try them.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like the G26. I have the G27 and I love the size and the versatility with the mags and extensions.

picture.php

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've always noticed, in my situation, the hardest thing to conceal is the WIDTH of the gun. I EDC the G19 for this reason. If I"m going to have the same width, I might as well get the extra rounds and barrel length.

hunterft6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Noblesville/Fishers
    Just curious, but have you considered the G29? You mention switching to the 20 for cold-weather carry. I personally don't find the G29 any more difficult to conceal than the G19/23. It is a bit thicker than the 9mm and .40 caliber Glocks however. If you went with the 29 you would have mag/caliber compatibility with your 20. Just a thought.

That said, my vote would be for the 19.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    @ Monterey, when I first started narrowing my choices, I REALLY wanted to get an M&P. I've held several M&P9C's from different stores, and the thing I can't get past is that is very difficult to release the slide with the slide stop lever. I shouldn't have to grab the slide to load the tube when changing mags. Does it ever loosen up??

You called it the correct term "slide STOP lever". It isn't called slide release, because it isn't really meant to do that. Train to rack the slide after putting the mag in. You won't miss the tiny little lever when your fine motor skills are gone, if you are grabbing the full slide. I never understand the after market larger slide stop levers.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Since a few people have mentioned the G29, I'm somewhat conflicted, as their rationales are quite sound and, the G29 is the same size as my G30, which I alternate with my G27 for carry. Between the two, the G27 is noticeably lighter. Though, either carry very well in a Crossbreed Supertuck. OTOH, the G30 is too big to ankle carry, while the G27 does incredibly well in a Galco Ankle Glove.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I've always noticed, in my situation, the hardest thing to conceal is the WIDTH of the gun. I EDC the G19 for this reason. If I"m going to have the same width, I might as well get the extra rounds and barrel length.

This exactly why I went w the 19...both are great guns tho....go fondle both

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Myself I use the 19. Fat fingers and 26 is just uncomfortable. I can also CC my G17 no problem but will print if the shirts is a little snug. Other than that, I am good to go. So my vote is 19 but I am partial to it.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I would also go with a G29 as some have mention. Then you can carry it as a back up to the 20 if needed.

I carry a G30, but if I feel like I need 2 guns than I also carry a G21 as a main gun. It's nice to have a full size spare clip what works in both guns.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I like these threads... :D

I gotta go with the G26. Had both, loved the G26 better. Some observations:
    1. Rail: Who carries their G19 EVERYDAY in the waistband with a LIGHT attached? The rail is a non issue in my mind for an EDC gun, but a biggie for a HD gun. In the OP, he said EDC, so I go with the G26 based on I don't need a rail to mount a light.
    2. Sight radius: I have yet to see someone shoot worse due to sight radius with a G26 compared to a G19 and I work at a range! I've seen no difference in my accuracy twixt the two.
    3. Grip: Okay, Okay, I will hand it to the G19 folks on that. My G26s have always had extensions. Then again, I've never had any issue hiding either gun in any situation. Heck, the G26 opens a third mag option (for scavenging or SHTF) of the G26 mag. Ideally, A G19 cut to G26 grip length would give the best of both worlds.
    4. Intrinsic accuracy: I have felt the G26 recoiled SOFTER and was easier to control/shoot. Both are excellent, but the G26 (to an experienced shooter) felt "better and softer". With the Gen4s now in the G19, I see no difference twixt the recoil method of either now.

Either way, they are both G2G, but I have a preference towards a G26 or (break out the files) a G19 cut to G26 length (got to fire a coworker's G23 cut to G27 length, pretty nice!)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    thanks for all the replies. I should be picking up the G19 tonight. My reasons are as follows for anyone else with the same dilema: 1) if going with the 26 I would have extensions on the mag, therefor making the grip length the same as the 19. 2) the half inch difference in barrel length will not matter with IWB carry. 3) capacity increase of the 19 is really the only difference that will matter. 4) after 76 votes, the G19 wins the poll 63% to 36%. Thanks again to everyone that replied!

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Good choice....what gen u going with? I recommend the gen4.....shoots super smooth,most on here recomend 3rd gen cuz its been around longer but since I was only gonna get 1 glock I figured get the latest version. Any hiccups the first batch of 4th gens had,its been fixed by now

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    @ Monterey, when I first started narrowing my choices, I REALLY wanted to get an M&P. I've held several M&P9C's from different stores, and the thing I can't get past is that is very difficult to release the slide with the slide stop lever. I shouldn't have to grab the slide to load the tube when changing mags. Does it ever loosen up??

Sorry I missed this, life has been crazy this week! I don't use slide stops so it's a non issue for me. I have practiced and trained to go over the top of the slide to release it from the slide stop. I know that will work nearly 100% of the time, and it doesn't take away from speed. Those little buttons that are on almost all semiautos can be learned and be effective, but I chose what works best for me. I hope that helps!(oh, and use should still get an M&P9C) ;)

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Get the 19 first, then pick up a 26 later.
    I have both and shoot the 26 much better than the 19 for some reason. Maybe my old eyes like the short slide.
    I carry the 26 most, however I use the 19 when I need a light.
    You cant go wrong with either one.

Top Bottom