• Glock 19 or Glock 26 for EDC?

• Total voters

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm buying a new EDC for warm weather (will switch to Glock 20 for cold weather) and can't decide which one to get. Both feel good in the hand, as long as I have a mag extension on the 26. So I guess the exact question is this: is the more concealable 26 worth the loss of capacity in the 19? Thanks for your input

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like my G19 a lot. And have no problems concealing it with a MTAC holster.

But it just comes down to how they both feel to you. The G26 is too small for me to comfortable shoot and be accurate.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm buying a new EDC for warm weather (will switch to Glock 20 for cold weather) and can't decide which one to get. Both feel good in the hand, as long as I have a mag extension on the 26. So I guess the exact question is this: is the more concealable 26 worth the loss of capacity in the 19? Thanks for your input

Yes. The G26 is worth it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    From your question I guess you plan to CC the gun.
    If you take the Glock 26 and that you will use it with a mag extension then you end up with about the grip lenght of the Glock 19.
    If you carry IWB then the longer barrel of the 19 is not a problem and I found out that the most important, to carry a gun concealed, is not the barrel or grip lenght but the thickness of the gun.
    Since the 26 and 19 are both as thick I would go with the 19.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Since I have to vote for a Glock, I chose the 19. It's small enough to conceal easily but still big enough to get my big hands on. If I could offer a third option, it would be an M&P.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you like the magazine capacity of the 19....then buy some 19 mags for your 26. That way, when you need or want the extra capacity, you have it. But when you NEED that shorter grip to conceal it, you can have it.

If you buy the 19, you're stuck with that grip; can't make it any shorter.

I own a 26 and a 17; no 19 yet, but I definitely carry my 26 more than my 17, although I can conceal the 17 just fine.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have carried the 19 for about 5 yrs, a few yrs ago I carried the 26 in the summer to check it out, sold it. I didn't feel that the difference in size was worth have a lesser capacity. I really couldn't tell the difference when they were on my hip. I went with a 642 for a summer EDC when not wanting the 19.

HTH
    RNM

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    G26 with pinky extension.

I dont get people who do that. :dunno:

If you like the 26 because it's more compact then get the 26 but if you cant shoot it without the pinky extension then why not go with the longer grip of the 19 right away since you will end up with the same size grip after the extension.

Also with the 19 you get a longer sight radius and a rail if you want to add a light.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Since I have to vote for a Glock, I chose the 19. It's small enough to conceal easily but still big enough to get my big hands on. If I could offer a third option, it would be an M&P.

@ Monterey, when I first started narrowing my choices, I REALLY wanted to get an M&P. I've held several M&P9C's from different stores, and the thing I can't get past is that is very difficult to release the slide with the slide stop lever. I shouldn't have to grab the slide to load the tube when changing mags. Does it ever loosen up??

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The three primary determinants of how conceable a gun is are:

1) Thickness
    2) Height
    3) Length (and length is distant third for any gun with a barrel of 4.5" or less)

The G26 and the G19 are the same thickness. A G26 with any sort of baseplate or mag extension is the same length or just a tiny, inconsequential bit shorter than a G19. The barrel length is irrelevant.

My vote is for the G19. It will be just as concealable as a G26 with a pinky/mag extension. Plus, with a longer sight radius it will be easier to shoot accurately and the bullet will hit harder.

To answer the semi-obvious question. Yes, I used to carry a G26 as my EDC (2004 to 2010). Then I got a G19 (2010 to 2011). Now I carry something different, but that is besides the point since the gun I have now is about the same size as a G19, albeit thinner.

G19. Of the two it is the better choice.

Disclosure: I am currently selling a G19, so I have a tiny bit of a conflict of interest.

Cheers!

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Most of the advice is the same as mine...get the G19. It is only very slightly larger in both slide and grip lenght, but has the added capacity and overal better utility than the G26.

I was going down the G26 road until my dealer put them side by side. Once you put a pinky extension on a G26 you end up with pretty much the same grip length as the G19 without any real advantages.

Plus, if you want to shoot the gun a lot, the G19 is a sweet heart and can nearly keep up with the big brother G17 in terms of accuracy at most of the typicall pistol target distances.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Having had both, I would say the g19 for extra mag capacity and like someone else mentioned the size isn't much different once you add an extension to the 26. Although I confess I do have a 26 on lay away and will probably carry it off and on, but that's only because u got a good deal in it with night sights.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I voted for G19. I'm a big fan of CC'ing larger guns as I feel you get more for the effort. Longer sight radius and lower recoil with a larger frame are worth the advantages to me for a little discomfort. Then again, I cc a G17.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have both and the G26 is my EDC when I carry concealed.

I am thinking about getting a OC holster with some active retention for when I OC my G19.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I gotta say I'm kind of surprised by the poll results. I guessed that it would come out at about 50/50, but as of now it's 2/3 for the 19. I've never carried a subcompact so I wasn't sure if that .5" of barrel length that you save with the 26 would make a big difference. Poll says no. Thanks for the input

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Most of the advice is the same as mine...get the G19. It is only very slightly larger in both slide and grip lenght, but has the added capacity and overal better utility than the G26.

I was going down the G26 road until my dealer put them side by side. Once you put a pinky extension on a G26 you end up with pretty much the same grip length as the G19 without any real advantages.

Plus, if you want to shoot the gun a lot, the G19 is a sweet heart and can nearly keep up with the big brother G17 in terms of accuracy at most of the typicall pistol target distances.

Agreed! From your two choices I would pick the G19.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I dont get people who do that. :dunno:

If you like the 26 because it's more compact then get the 26 but if you cant shoot it without the pinky extension then why not go with the longer grip of the 19 right away since you will end up with the same size grip after the extension.

I carry a Glock 27 with the pinky extension. I chose this option because I like the shorter barrel, and my large hands feel/fit better on the glock 27 with extension more comfortably than on the glock 23.

Top Bottom