• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    Here's another vote for the XDm. Better ergonomics then the glock and a better trigger then the M&P.

My older brother just told me that he just purchased an XDm with the 3.8" barrel in .40 cal with stainless slide over the weekend at Plainfield SS. Nice looking setup!

Why O why did he not purchase a 9mm XDm with the 4.5" barrel so I could at least shoot it at the range a few times?!

That is brotherly love for ya! ;)

Please keep providing your / feedback shooting experiences!

Cheers!

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    How come you're so set on the 9mm, in my opinion .40 is a better self defense round anyway, right under .45 acp that is. Are you concerned about the recoil of a shorter higher caliber, than the smoothness of a 9mm with a longer barrel and full size frame?

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    SharkyZiff - You know you were going with the M&P all along and just wanted to get a rise out of the Glock and XD crowd.

I'm colorblind so I apologize if I didn't find the correct sarcastic purple.

Really though, M&P all the way

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    My vote is for the Glock G17, I'm not a fan of M&Ps they look like a dressed up Sigma! But shoot them all and see what best fits you.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Owning 2 m&p's I cant say anything but good about them. Great guns.

102_3367.jpg

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I really like my Springfields but I agree you should handle/fire each one to see what fits you. I think the Glock and the XDM have a totally different feel to them. You may not like the way one or the other fits your hand? just my 2 cents.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    you should check out the G19rtf2 that grip is awesome and its a bit more compact then the g17 with only 2 less rounds and it will take the g17 mags as well though you can get the g17 in rtf2 as well. also almost all larger glock models can step down in caliber with a barrel and mag swap.

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    How come you're so set on the 9mm, in my opinion .40 is a better self defense round anyway, right under .45 acp that is. Are you concerned about the recoil of a shorter higher caliber, than the smoothness of a 9mm with a longer barrel and full size frame?

All of my handgun experience is with 9mm loads, it is what I am comfortable shooting. I definitely like the smoothness of a 9mm with a longer barrel and full size frame. Also, since this will also be a range gun, ammo cost comes into play for me. 9mm is much cheaper than .40 or .45acp.

The good news is that I will get some firsthand experience shooting my brother's .40 cal XDm in the 3.8" barrel. We will see about the recoil and muzzle flip with this combo.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback/personal experience!:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Can not say much about Glocks. From a personal stand point, I'm not a fan. However they are good, and reliable guns. Light weight, high capacity, reasonably priced, and mags are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. My Father owns a Xdm 9mm. To me it has a great feel, natural point of aim, and a clean trigger. Some people do not care for the grip safety, or the beefier slide. I personally think it helps with the overall balance, and the grip safety is no bother to me. I especially like the new 3.8 models. My Father also owns three M&P's. A 9mm pro, .40, and .40 compact. The M&P's like the Gocks have a slimmer slide, and trigger safety only. They too have a great feel, natural point of aim, and a clean trigger. If it was me, it would be between the M&P or Xdm. I think it really comes down to a couple of major facors. 1. The Xdm does have a beefier slide. 2. The Xdm has a grip safety. That's my honest opinion from my experience. Best thing you can do is fondle, and shoot as many as you can before you make your choice.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No one of of your choices is objectively better than any of the others. Subjectively, they each feel radically different in the hand. Since any one of them are about as accurate, reliable, and durable as the others, the only real basis for a choice is which feels better to you, which one "sings" to you when you hold it, and preferably shoot it.

I do think you should add the Ruger SR9 to your list. I've not fired one yet, but it feels better in my hands than any of the others, is skinnier and easier to conceal, has adjustable sights, and dry firing them I like the trigger better. If you do check one out, make sure you dry fire it with the magazine in place. With the magazine out, the magazine safety creates a lot of drag and grit that will make the trigger feel like hell. It's owners seem quite pleased with the gun.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have had all 3 and for me the M&P pro has the best out of the box trigger. Which can easilly be made into a really nice trigger with the Apex parts. The Glock is the most rugged and durable of the 3 and is my choice. You can do anything you want to it yourself. The trigger ican be made as nice as the others with very little cash. You can change the sights and do all the stuff yourself. Mags, holsters, parts are available anywhere. The XDm has a lot of drawbacks in my opinion. If anything needs to be done to the gun they want you to send it back to the factory, where as a Glock armorer can and will fix nearly anything that could possibly go wrong with a Glock and they are everywhere. The XDs I could not even find anyone local that would change the sights for me when I had mine. The other 2 you can do yourself easily. My regular XDsc the finish was very low quality. It scratched and also started to rust where I carried it everyday in the summer. never had that trouble with the XDm but I did not carry it either.
    For my money I would recommend the Glock first then the M&P. But like everyone has said try them out and buy what you like. I am just relating my experience of owning all 3.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have owned an M&P for about a year and change now, and I couldnt give more reviews... Even more so that we are in the makes of purchasing another...

IMG_0579.jpg

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I say M&P all the way. But, I am partial. Not a fan of the Glocks, never tried the XDs. Honestly, you really need to get your hands on the ones you are considering and make your personal choice. That is what it boils down to in the end.

I will predict M&P winning. But, I'm a bit biased. (I have the M&P 45 in Full, Mid and Compact as well as a 9mm Full. They are all great guns.)

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    preference?

I love my XD in .45 shoots well, it is a bit large but lots of big bullets coming out the business end. I carry Glock while on duty G22 and G27 both .40 cal, shoot well also. I am not impressed with the 9 mm for anything. Think about stopping power also. Try them all if you can before you take anyone's opinion. We are all slightly prejudiced.

Top Bottom