Girlfriend Wants Handgun to Carry. What should I get her?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    You might have her give the Ruger LCR a try. The Hogue grips are very recoil taming or you can go with the Crimson Trace Laser grips if that's what she likes, but IMO it fits the bill pretty well.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I got my wife a Makarov aka CZ-82 cheap $182 and ammo is cheap too. Yes i am cheap, i am in the ministry what else do you expect :D I am not so huge TV evangelist either, but i hear there is good money in that :laugh: not the right reasons

mskitty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I am also interested in your weapons opinions. I haven't purchased one, yet. I know from family that I should try out many before I purchase one. I get that.
    Is there someplace that I can shoot many calibers of both revolvers and semi's? I would like to try different weapons before I put down $$$ for mine. My family has a few to shoot, but I would like a wider range to try. I'm in the NW Indiana area. Any thoughts?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    gun for girl

My advice is take her to a gun shop, let her handle as many guns as the clerk will let her, and when she says this feels good, that is the one.....

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I took my girl to the 1500 and turned her loose. Let her just wander around checking out everything until she found something she liked and could operate. And so it was done.

Bummer now she doesn't want to get her LTCH because she doesn't want to be "hassled by police"

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Try the PX4 Storm SC 9mm. It's my girlfriend's preferred weapon of choice. Unique look to it. Very accurate and easy to carry. She might like it. Or, get her the Desert Eagle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who think getting a new shooter an airweight j-frame revolver or other pocket gun is a good idea, please them shoot one first. Chances are, they will find it to be an unpleasant experience and will not be willing to practice with it adequately for any reasonable level of proficiency.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For those who think getting a new shooter an airweight j-frame revolver or other pocket gun is a good idea, please them shoot one first. Chances are, they will find it to be an unpleasant experience and will not be willing to practice with it adequately for any reasonable level of proficiency.

Yeah, that ^.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Agreed. Get them something they will enjoy shooting.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My wife thought she wanted a revolver, until she shot one. She likes the feel of the semi-autos I have had, but we have to find one she can rack the slide on.

She has an easier time with my 9mm than she did the 380 actually.

BUt to back everyone else up. Don't buy her anything YOU pick out. Buy her what SHE picks out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife thought she wanted a revolver, until she shot one. She likes the feel of the semi-autos I have had, but we have to find one she can rack the slide on.

She has an easier time with my 9mm than she did the 380 actually.

The reason why .380s are harder to rack the slide is because most of them are direct blowback actions with heavier recoil springs than a 9mm will typically have.

As far as being able to rack the slide, unless there is some kind of genuine disability, being able to rack the slide is of more a matter of technique than it is of strength. Grab the slide overhand behind the ejection port with support hand, but instead of trying to pull the slide to the rear, hold the slide stationary with the support hand while you push forward with the firing hand. This allows use of more and bigger muscle groups and pretty much any able bodied person can do it to most guns. It's no problem with Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps, Sigs, whatever as long as you do it right.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The reason why .380s are harder to rack the slide is because most of them are direct blowback actions with heavier recoil springs than a 9mm will typically have.

As far as being able to rack the slide, unless there is some kind of genuine disability, being able to rack the slide is of more a matter of technique than it is of strength. Grab the slide overhand behind the ejection port with support hand, but instead of trying to pull the slide to the rear, hold the slide stationary with the support hand while you push forward with the firing hand. This allows use of more and bigger muscle groups and pretty much any able bodied person can do it to most guns. It's no problem with Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps, Sigs, whatever as long as you do it right.

Now that makes sense re: 380 vs. 9mm.

I am already working with her on what you suggested. She does have carpal tunnel, as do I, so it can make it a little harder.

I think another thing that helps with the 9mm is the slide is a little thicker, which changes her grip on it.

Thanks for the input!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good deal! You might also try switching hands if the carpal tunnel is worse in one than the other. Also, if she grips the slide mostly with her pinkie and ring fingers, it might hurt less too.

Top Bottom