• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Weather you want them gone, or you want to eat them, here's a method of collection that works.

I shared this with another forum member, it's working for him also so I thought I would share with the group.

If I tend the trap, i can get two a day.

Take a five gallon bucket, fill it half way with water, stand up a 4 foot section of 3-4" pvc pipe in the bucket. smear some peanut butter about a foot and a half inside the pipe. Use a dowel rod to get it down into the pipe. They go after the bait and fall into the water. Here is where I got the idea.
    http://billllsidlemind.blogspot.com/...rrel-trap.html

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have been doing something similar for a long time with chipmonks. I fill 5 gal bucket with water and cover the top of the water with sunflower seeds. then run a board up to the top of the bucket on the outside like a ramp. put some sunflower seeds on that also. they get to the top see the seeds inside and dive right on in. it's a solid method for sure.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have been doing something similar for a long time with chipmonks. I fill 5 gal bucket with water and cover the top of the water with sunflower seeds. then run a board up to the top of the bucket on the outside like a ramp. put some sunflower seeds on that also. they get to the top see the seeds inside and dive right on in. it's a solid method for sure.
    Major +1. I just brought home 2 buckets for this purpose.

If Chipmunks ran govt they would outlaw 5 gallon buckets. The OP looks like it is worth trying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It does work. I have eliminated 4 of the little rat Nazi bastardies this week. They have been destroying everything. Putting in the garden and not putting up with sharing the wealth this summer. +1 woowoo2

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

If you use antifreeze it'll kill AND preserve them. It has to be green and you can't have any outside pets that you like... . . . .:rolleyes:

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    I've never use that! I've always had a drum buried with 4 sticks. Two sticks are the trap. Place penutbutter and seed on it in the middle. Once the squirrels get on the trap stick the 2x4 swings open an tge squirrel falls in and the trap comes back up like a swinging door. The 4 sticks are 2x4's with with 2 door hinges. I've got 6 squirrels with this lastyear in one day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never use that! I've always had a drum buried with 4 sticks. Two sticks are the trap. Place penutbutter and seed on it in the middle. Once the squirrels get on the trap stick the 2x4 swings open an tge squirrel falls in and the trap comes back up like a swinging door. The 4 sticks are 2x4's with with 2 door hinges. I've got 6 squirrels with this lastyear in one day.

Slick.......

resdep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Okay, these are great ideas. How about ground hogs. I don't have the time or patience to sit and wait on them to show their ugly little head. I have one (some) under my porch. I have caught a few small ones with a live trap turned deadly after I catch one, but the older ones seem too smart for that.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    Okay, these are great ideas. How about ground hogs. I don't have the time or patience to sit and wait on them to show their ugly little head. I have one (some) under my porch. I have caught a few small ones with a live trap turned deadly after I catch one, but the older ones seem too smart for that.

block all holes but one. flood them out and crush their little heads with a shovel.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Two dogs. After they tree it, they take turns standing watch while the other returns home for food and water. It may take a day but the ground hog always loses.

You will know they finally killed it when you find a fury, fleshy rope with a ball on the end in your yard. It is in fact the spinal cord and skull. Name the dogs Victor and Ginger for good luck.

Worked for us. That and a 22-250

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i don't run a catch and release program.

Trust in the fact that my pellet rifle puts windows in small critters. It has curbed a few invasions into our territory. Just a bit more sporting than shovel bashing in the head. Unless there are deeper psychological issues we should talk about.
    I have a guys card...............:D

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Two dogs. After they tree it, they take turns standing watch while the other returns home for food and water. It may take a day but the ground hog always loses.

You will know they finally killed it when you find a fury, fleshy rope with a ball on the end in your yard. It is in fact the spinal cord and skull. Name the dogs Victor and Ginger for good luck.

Worked for us. That and a 22-250
    I did not know ground hogs climb trees. I have not seen one in a tree before.

Top Bottom