Have you tried this yet?

daily-morning-awesomeness-funny-14.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    NEWS FLASH!!! After running out to the pond every time we saw the muskrat, about 20 times, many in the effing rain....I pumped him full of buckshot! Less than 5 minutes later, the turtles had already begun feeding. I had my son drag his jonboat out and bring the carcass in for the dog, man is she happy;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Crazy lady behind us that feeds the tree rats was really upside down today. I think she is on to me. There has been a drastic reduction in the local tree rat population in the last few weeks. I find a fellow a few doors down has been trapping them as well.
    We are now a totally covert operation.

Edit...congrates on the success Tjockey

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Okay, these are great ideas. How about ground hogs. I don't have the time or patience to sit and wait on them to show their ugly little head. I have one (some) under my porch. I have caught a few small ones with a live trap turned deadly after I catch one, but the older ones seem too smart for that.

Now I'm no professional ground hog hunter but I have killed 2 or 3 (with every gun I own) and I had a case similiar to this had a whistle pig holed up in a barn. This was no ordinary hog he was the gran-daddy to he rest of the clan I killed out in the feed lot (about 7). I tried ambushes, evening hunts, morning hunts, afternoon hunts, different vantage points, and nothing! Until I realized pattern I realized after his hasty retreat to the hole he would poke out after 10 min get the drop on me and go in for the night. Fast forward 3 days later I scare him in his hole on purpose get my bucket pull out the .357 and point it at the opening. Keep in mind I'm sitting behind the hole motionless 10 min later he poked out his head. Which I partially removed promptly.

Now that was a long winded way of saying if you can hang out around the hole for 10 min or so you can probablyly kill them all in a few days. I've done it to a lot of hogs in buildings and tight spots.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Anyone have an idea for a coon in the attic. I have already tried a live trap and the thing just flips it on its side and gets the bait. Since I live in a development using a gun is out of the question, but maybe with frangible ammo?

Strap the cage down. Takes more patience to remove it, if the offender is still alive, but keeps it from getting tipped. If the thing is reaching in put something part way up on the sides to keep his hand away.

I would never suggest shooting even a .22 short in your attic. Lots of stuff in there that you don't want to hit. Ding a wire, hit an exhaust fan, pop one through the ceiling just get lucky enough to put a little hole in the roof or the siding.

Besides, you ever see what a 'coon does to a dog when it thinks it is cornered? Maybe get a CB cap for when it is trapped so you can remove the cage easier.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've never use that! I've always had a drum buried with 4 sticks. Two sticks are the trap. Place penutbutter and seed on it in the middle. Once the squirrels get on the trap stick the 2x4 swings open an tge squirrel falls in and the trap comes back up like a swinging door. The 4 sticks are 2x4's with with 2 door hinges. I've got 6 squirrels with this lastyear in one day.

I wonder what you had for dinner that night?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Perhaps a gasoline engine and a hose from the exhaust into their tunnel.
    I finally got it, but this plan would require being able to FIND the lodge. There are MANY bodies of water around and no way of being certain my pond area even contains said lodge. Then there's the fact that one whole side of my pond is covered with a thick bed of cattails rendering the search in that area nearly impossible...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    As long as you have the cattails you will keep getting the water rats.

Remove the food source. It is a pain if they are big, but once you remove the tails you also have a clearer shot. Tall grass in the shallows as well, if possible.

I took the last rat out two years ago with a .17 hmr. Overkill, but I was wanting to test the round anyhow.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009

Remove the food source. It is a pain if they are big, but once you remove the tails you also have a clearer shot. Tall grass in the shallows as well, if possible.

I took the last rat out two years ago with a .17 hmr. Overkill, but I was wanting to test the round anyhow.
    You know about getting rid of cattails right? Even a microscopic piece of root left behind and they'll be back in force the following year. I will need to rent an excavator and pretty much dredge about 900 yards of material which in turn will create a much larger pond. I used 00buckshot, also OVERKILL, buts that's how I like it;) We typically get one per year and that's not really too bad, just frustrating in the spring until we get it. As long as we get it before it has little rats anyways.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

.17 HMR is perfect for anything up to and including Coyote. If you want to eat what you kill it is a bit rough but the round is just great for varmints.

I have spoken with folks who say they have taken deer with this round.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You know about getting rid of cattails right? Even a microscopic piece of root left behind and they'll be back in force the following year. I will need to rent an excavator and pretty much dredge about 900 yards of material which in turn will create a much larger pond. I used 00buckshot, also OVERKILL, buts that's how I like it;) We typically get one per year and that's not really too bad, just frustrating in the spring until we get it. As long as we get it before it has little rats anyways.

Yep, if you even look at a cattail it will reproduce. The people here before me rented an excavator and did all the work. I would have been dropping the price of the place had it been full of 'tails. Now no problem. Might see one try to spring up every couple years. Pull it and be done with it.

There's no kill like overkill on water rats though. One per year isn't tough, as long as you do get it before it pops out a litter.

.17 HMR is perfect for anything up to and including Coyote. If you want to eat what you kill it is a bit rough but the round is just great for varmints.

I have spoken with folks who say they have taken deer with this round.

Head shot. Round moves so fast it is uncanny. Could have eaten it had I wanted. Shot placement is king.

It is illegal to take deer in Indiana with this round. Just an FYI.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, if you even look at a cattail it will reproduce. The people here before me rented an excavator and did all the work. I would have been dropping the price of the place had it been full of 'tails. Now no problem. Might see one try to spring up every couple years. Pull it and be done with it.

There's no kill like overkill on water rats though. One per year isn't tough, as long as you do get it before it pops out a litter.

Head shot. Round moves so fast it is uncanny. Could have eaten it had I wanted. Shot placement is king.

It is illegal to take deer in Indiana with this round. Just an FYI.

The folks who stated this were not really to worried about the legality of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why? Afraid she'll fall in? lol

No, but that is a good point.................:D

She got on us a few years ago for using an air rifle. I was again accused of that as the population has dwindled lately. She feeds them and the food is not getting eaten. I really do not want to be responsible for her having a heart attack if she figures out what those pipes and buckets are really for..I think she might be able to put a whoopen on me, not sure.

Top Bottom