• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just curious about what percentage do you run that specific program? 5% 25% 99%? And you run 100 plates a shift? Damn, even if your working a 12 hr shift that one every 7 minutes. If its a 8 hr shift that's more than one every 5 minutes.

I use that program maybe once or twice a month. As far as running plates, I guess 100 a shift is a little too high in my estimation if you worked it out to one every 5 minutes. I run a lot of them, but not that often. I guess I would change it to at least 50 ... sometimes less, sometimes more.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I got pulled over last Friday night (very early Saturday morning) on my way home from work by Lawrence PD just past the intersection of Pendleton Pike and 65th St. I already knew what it was for, my tail light was out. When he walked up to the car I gave him my driver's license and my LTCH. He asked what kind of gun I had. I told him glock 19 pistol. He then asked where it was located. In this particular situation, I was driving my wife's car and the only place to put it is in the glove box. My car has a center console that I put it in. At that point the officer knew the registration was in the same place as my pistol, so he asked me who the car was registered to. I told hime the vehicle is registered to my wife. He asked me if I was a police officer (I get that a lot :dunno:). I replied "no sir". After a minute he came back and gave me a warning to get the tail light fixed and he sent me on my way.

After reflecting on the situation, if I were in my usual vehicle with the pistol in the center console, I may not have bothered with giving the officer my LTCH. The only reason I did in this case was because I didn't want to fumble around for my registration and have him see the gun and freak out.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just curious about what percentage do you run that specific program? 5% 25% 99%? And you run 100 plates a shift? Damn, even if your working a 12 hr shift that one every 7 minutes. If its a 8 hr shift that's more than one every 5 minutes.

Tim, what do you think the cop behind you at the light is doing on his computer as he sits behind? Playing Tetris?:D

He's typing in your plate. Think about it, hours of shear boredom, couple of minutes of terror. Might as well do something productive.

Willard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Anderson
    I used to inform, I don't anymore (can't remember the last time I was stopped). I don't keep my weapon in the console/glovebox where it could potentially cause a panic situation for a LEO, it's always on my hip. I keep my paperwork on the visor, so no out of sight reaching required to retrieve it.

Anyone know if the info (LTCH) is provided with liscense/registration check?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    He's typing in your plate. Think about it, hours of shear boredom, couple of minutes of terror. Might as well do something productive.
    Yes...something constructive...hmmm...perhaps chase an ambulance...but those are probably already all taken.

Free haircuts

A barber gave a haircut to a priest one day. The priest tried to pay for the haircut, but the barber refused, saying, "you do God’s work." The next morning the barber found a dozen bibles at the door to his shop.

A policeman came to the barber for a haircut, and again the barber refused to pay, saying, "you protect the public." The next morning the barber found a dozen doughnuts at the door to his shop.

A lawyer came to the barber for a haircut, and again the barber refused payment, saying, "you serve the justice system." The next morning the barber found a dozen lawyers waiting for a free haircut.

Space photography

The New York Times, among other papers, recently published a new Hubble Space Telescope photograph of distant galaxies colliding.

Of course, astronomers have had pictures of colliding galaxies for quite some time now, but with the vastly improved resolution provided by the Hubble, you can actually see the lawyers rushing to the scene.
    ;)

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Last night was my first experience being pulled over with a gun on me. The first thing I did as I was being pulled over was keep my hands in the air and after he told me hello, i said "before we get things started I just want you to know that I have a gun on me and I have a gun permit." The cop then asked to see my license and my permit, then he wanted to check my gun. After which he told me I was being stopped for going 19 MPH. Reason being was I was trying to get ready to turn to go into Taco Bell and it was about 2 something in the morning. So yeah obviously thought I was either high or had be drinking. I explained what I was doing to him, and he gave me my licenses back along with my gun and said he appreciated that I informed him right away that I was armed, he then said to have a good night and left. Didn't even give me a warning he just left. I then proceeded to reload my weapon and drove across the street for some tacos. :D

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Last night was my first experience being pulled over with a gun on me. The first thing I did as I was being pulled over was keep my hands in the air and after he told me hello, i said "before we get things started I just want you to know that I have a gun on me and I have a gun permit." The cop then asked to see my license and my permit, then he wanted to check my gun. After which he told me I was being stopped for going 19 MPH. Reason being was I was trying to get ready to turn to go into Taco Bell and it was about 2 something in the morning. So yeah obviously thought I was either high or had be drinking. I explained what I was doing to him, and he gave me my licenses back along with my gun and said he appreciated that I informed him right away that I was armed, he then said to have a good night and left. Didn't even give me a warning he just left. I then proceeded to reload my weapon and drove across the street for some tacos. :D

I woulda given you a ticket or two just for the fact that you were going to EAT taco bell food!! :n00b:

J/K

Greg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Tim, what do you think the cop behind you at the light is doing on his computer as he sits behind? Playing Tetris?:D

I know what he's doing, its just that one every 5 minutes seemed a bit much. He'd have to be damn near typing a new one in as soon as he got the last one back. And the squads have tetris on the computers? I thought it was just solitaire and minesweeper. :D

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I know what he's doing, its just that one every 5 minutes seemed a bit much. He'd have to be damn near typing a new one in as soon as he got the last one back. And the squads have tetris on the computers? I thought it was just solitaire and minesweeper. :D

No Tetris or Minesweeper. Before we went wireless we had minesweeper and solitaire but the powers that be decided that those games were keeping us from our duties and now the computers we are issued have no games whatsoever on them. But we do have internet access so we can go to a wireless site and play internet games....:dunno:

And as far as running plates, I can run them as fast as I can type them in and don't have to wait for the return on one to put in the next. I don't run every plate I see, just ones on vehicles that attract my attention for some reason.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    And as far as running plates, I can run them as fast as I can type them in and don't have to wait for the return on one to put in the next. I don't run every plate I see, just ones on vehicles that attract my attention for some reason.

Jerk... Isn't that "profiling"?

:D

Of course I'm kidding.. but can I ask you a question all kidding aside? How often do you run a plate and get a hit? Warrant, stolen, whatever...

End of thread jack...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Jerk... Isn't that "profiling"?

:D

Of course I'm kidding.. but can I ask you a question all kidding aside? How often do you run a plate and get a hit? Warrant, stolen, whatever...

End of thread jack...

There are other types of profiling besides racial.

When I worked the East side, getting a stolen hit on a vehicle was fairly common. On the Southwest side it isn't as common.

Warrant hits on plates are pretty rare and warrants are only associated with a BMV registration if it is a major felony.

I get most of my warrant hits from DL checks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No Tetris or Minesweeper. Before we went wireless we had minesweeper and solitaire but the powers that be decided that those games were keeping us from our duties and now the computers we are issued have no games whatsoever on them. But we do have internet access so we can go to a wireless site and play internet games....:dunno:

So if I buy and donate a dozen hand held solitaire games it might keep me from being pulled over?:D I now have a plan.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Free haircuts

A barber gave a haircut to a priest one day. The priest tried to pay for the haircut, but the barber refused, saying, "you do God’s work." The next morning the barber found a dozen bibles at the door to his shop.

A policeman came to the barber for a haircut, and again the barber refused to pay, saying, "you protect the public." The next morning the barber found a dozen doughnuts at the door to his shop.

A lawyer came to the barber for a haircut, and again the barber refused payment, saying, "you serve the justice system." The next morning the barber found a dozen lawyers waiting for a free haircut.

Space photography

The New York Times, among other papers, recently published a new Hubble Space Telescope photograph of distant galaxies colliding.

Of course, astronomers have had pictures of colliding galaxies for quite some time now, but with the vastly improved resolution provided by the Hubble, you can actually see the lawyers rushing to the scene.
    ;)

Very funny. I'm stealing both of these.:D

lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I notify the officer first thing. From my experience, it gets the issue out in the open immediately and they typically handle it better than finding out when you pop open your glove box and it falls out. Every single time I let the LEO know I'm carrying, I end up with just a warning.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've gone over my "take" on this many times, and I don't plan to rehash it here. I would ask the question, though, of any LEOs reading:

How would it be perceived if I was pulled over, stopped safely, and slowly exited the car, having left my pistol on the seat inside and the vehicle locked, papers in my hand and keys in my pocket, then stepped to the rear of my car to wait for the officer? This flies in the face of the whole "hands on the wheel, engine off, vehicle dome light on" advice, but would, I think, avoid the whole issue, however my concern is that the LEO is going to perceive my exiting the vehicle, even slowly and unarmed, as a potential threat.

Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

I would ask you (politely) to return to your vehicle. All of the training I've had and the in car videos in training show when a bad guy steps out of their car, the open space for their movements/intentions is in their favor. Being in an enclosed area (auto seat) is more confining for their physical movements. Granted all heck can break loose in the small area but it puts leverage in the LEO's favor. I had a guy jump out of his car around midnight once (I pulled him over just off the highway), he was stretching his hand out toward me and shouting. Turned out he was an off duty officer flashing his badge. I told the idiot that he came within a hair of meeting God face to face.
    If I pull you over and you reveal you are carrying, I'll ask if you are licensed, if yes, we’ll make it safe and then I'll check your permit and license and get on with the job at hand. I have found out respect is a two way street. When anyone is involved with an officer the worst comes to mind and that is natural, not always true, but it’s a natural thought.

Top Bottom