• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I plan on applying for my permit sometime this week.

What would be fast for return time? Doing the online application or going to the sheriff department? Ive noticed that most people get it back faster by going online. Maybe im wrong. How hard and what will i have to do to apply online. Step by step would be great. What about the fingerprinting?

Places im allowed to carry: I know that schools, government buildings, and airports arent allowed and i was wondering what else isnt generally aloud to conceal at. Thanks

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    ^^^^^^This. This site has a wealth of information. Check out the FAQ's and the sticky posts at the top of each section. Many of the questions you will have are ones that have been asked before.

Welcome to INGO!

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    There are a lot of sensitive types who get all butt hurt about the word permit around here. I think it has something to do with the democrats stealing the country or something...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I plan on applying for my permit sometime this week.

What would be fast for return time? Doing the online application or going to the sheriff department? Ive noticed that most people get it back faster by going online. Maybe im wrong. How hard and what will i have to do to apply online. Step by step would be great. What about the fingerprinting?

Places im allowed to carry: I know that schools, government buildings, and airports arent allowed and i was wondering what else isnt generally aloud to conceal at. Thanks

It took me about 11 weeks to get my LTCH back. I have heard that some people who have used the electronic method received theirs in a matter of days. One of our members (Crispy) received his in five days. You can see it at post #2582 on this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/6875-current_ltch_wait-87.html.

I will send Crispy a PM and ask him to reply to you in this thread, so you can get it straight from the horses' keyboard.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    alright thanks ill pm him about it

sorry ill call it a license next time. didnt know it was that big of a deal

ill check the faqs. i just like personal answers better cause i think they are more helpful

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Go here:

Application for Handgun License

If your country is in the list you in like Flynn.

Fill it out. Probably want: "Life Pers Protect no Current License $75 State/$50 Local"

At the end FOLLOW the link that takes you to L1.

Go to their website and you can pay the STATE $75 fee and the L1 fee ($10.95) with a credit card. Then pick an L1 site where they can do your fingerprints electronically. Take your receipt and go do that.

After that it is all automatic. Your local city/town or county Sheriffs office will call you when they get your state background check complete. I had to get a Money Order for Noblesville and take it to the police dept.

I did the app and the fingerprints on Monday, NPD called me on Tuesday and I took them the MO on Tuesday. LTCH arrived Saturday.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Great!!! Thanks alot. I was going to pm you but i dont have the 15 posts yet. I appreciate it

How exactly does the fingerprinting process work if you have to do it online?

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great!!! Thanks alot. I was going to pm you but i dont have the 15 posts yet. I appreciate it

How exactly does the fingerprinting process work if you have to do it online?
    even if you fill out the form online and go through the L1 ($10 extra) you still have to go in to your local law enforcement.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    yes i understand that part. im just looking to get it ASAP and it seems online is the way to go

can somebody tell me how the L1 works? i know its fingerprinting but how exactly do you do it?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Never ever really "saw" L1 except for their website. L1 has contractors that do it for them. You can pick any that are open and have a slot.

I went to a "Mailing Station" place. Like a UPS store. They had a single workstation setup in the back. (Obviously provided to them by L1)

I went in. Handed the Manager my receipt, he went back and signed in and put in my info. He said to come back. He took each of my fingers and "rolled" them over this electronic flatbed scanning doohickey and I saw a scan of my fingerprints come up on the screen and the computer determined if it was a good scan or not. I saw my info on the screen so I know he had my info in correct.

We did all ten fingers in about five minutes and that was it. No fuss, no muss.

I can't imagine that L1 and their contractor (like the Mailing store) are doing it, and sharing, that $10.95. The State must be giving them some of their $75 as well.

BTW, like was mentioned, you still have to do the local law enforcement in person. I had already call NPD and the lady there was the one that told me that it was the online process that automatically routes everything to ISP and NPD (according to my address). So even had I not called her, she would have still been calling me. Put your cell number in online if you want them to get in touch right away. Also, because I had pre-called NPD, I knew what forms of payment they required and I went to my bank for the Money Order and had it ready to go. If you live outside of a city's limits, it will likely be the county sheriff calling you.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks for all the info crispy! Youve been a big help. Im going in Wednesday morning to do my fingerprinting and pay my Sheriff their money. Id be happy if i get it by February

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    P.S.

The LTCH comes on the standard color pink paper that is available everywhere by the sheet (I got some at Office Depot). It has no embossing or watermarks of any kind. There is printing on both sides of the page but nothing on the back of the area where the license is. It has dotted lines around the license area and instructions to "cut here" and have laminated.

I had access to a quality copier at the office. It was actually kind of complicated adjusting the settings on the copier but I eventually managed. The pink paper will copy as grey unless you set the "background masking" to on (Xerox 7655). Then it is just black printing on the paper. I also set the sharpness and print quality way up.

Eventually I got copies printed that are exactly the same as the original. I printed out several copies and THEN signed each one by hand.

Then I cut them out and went to Fedex/Kinkos. They have a self-serve laminating machine. I laminated a few wallet size and I put one in my truck, one in my range bag and one in the wallet. The rest went in my file at home.

Hales718

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I did all of mine online at "http://www.aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx" Complete your application accuratley after selecting the county that you live in. From there do the L1 fingerprinting and pay all your fees online for state instead of doing your fingerprinting at the local police department. After you complete the electronic finger printing, bring your receipt that you paid your state and had your fingerprinting done to your local police dept and pay your local fee. After I paid my local fee, I had my LTCH back within 2 days. Feel free to message me for any other quetions. What county do you live in??

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    P.S.

The LTCH comes on the standard color pink paper that is available everywhere by the sheet (I got some at Office Depot). It has no embossing or watermarks of any kind.

It's a LIFETIME license, and they put it on cheap, thin, pink paper. Couldn't they have made it a little more sturdy, like a driver's license, or a credit card with a little hologram, or maybe a shiny, metal badge? :D

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    P.S.

The LTCH comes on the standard color pink paper that is available everywhere by the sheet (I got some at Office Depot). It has no embossing or watermarks of any kind. There is printing on both sides of the page but nothing on the back of the area where the license is. It has dotted lines around the license area and instructions to "cut here" and have laminated.

I had access to a quality copier at the office. It was actually kind of complicated adjusting the settings on the copier but I eventually managed. The pink paper will copy as grey unless you set the "background masking" to on (Xerox 7655). Then it is just black printing on the paper. I also set the sharpness and print quality way up.

Eventually I got copies printed that are exactly the same as the original. I printed out several copies and THEN signed each one by hand.

Then I cut them out and went to Fedex/Kinkos. They have a self-serve laminating machine. I laminated a few wallet size and I put one in my truck, one in my range bag and one in the wallet. The rest went in my file at home.

Once again thanks crispy. youve been a big help through this whole thing. thats a great idea you had and ill probably pm you soon with that whole process and the equipment you had to use

I did all of mine online at "http://www.aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx" Complete your application accuratley after selecting the county that you live in. From there do the L1 fingerprinting and pay all your fees online for state instead of doing your fingerprinting at the local police department. After you complete the electronic finger printing, bring your receipt that you paid your state and had your fingerprinting done to your local police dept and pay your local fee. After I paid my local fee, I had my LTCH back within 2 days. Feel free to message me for any other quetions. What county do you live in??

Wabash County. I will do so

It's a LIFETIME license, and they put it on cheap, thin, pink paper. Couldn't they have made it a little more sturdy, like a driver's license, or a credit card with a little hologram, or maybe a shiny, metal badge? :D

I like the metal badge idea :)

Top Bottom