• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I let my wife pick her own guns...she started with a Beretta 84 in .380acp...and enjoyed that for the first 2 years she was shooting. Later, I convinced her to switch to a good .38+P revolver (Ruger SP101). She didn't like it as much and was less accurate with it. I finally traded it for a Glock 26 9mm...then installed a model 19 mag + an A&G grip spacer...filling out the grip. She LOVES it!!!

Women want what they want...it may defy reason, but that's what they do...support her...educate her...but let her figure it out. She'll thank you!

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First, what does she want to do with it? That will help a lot as far as what kind to look at.

Second, does she have the training/experience to know how to properly hold the gun?
    If not, her opinion on what feels good is not very useful.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I am fairly new to shooting handguns, I recommend a .22 revolver to start with. It is cheap to shoot and easy to learn on. That is why i chose one.

cowboy23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    lafayette
    i would tell you to have her try them all out. im in your same boat my wife wants to carry. im trying to sell her on the kel tec 380 but i just havent got the job done she thinks that i just want it for myself. i mean she does have a point. good luck

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Let her shoot the firearm first and then decide. My wife had not fired a handgun in several years. She used to be OK with my Python. She has never like semi autos due to the brass flying. The last time I took her she was uncomfortable with anything larger than a 22 revolver. I know everyone is different - but approach conservatively as not to turn her off. I am currently looking for a snub .22 revolver if anybody knows of one.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Depending on her personal preferences on guns, some that I would recommend would be a Glock 19, Glock 26, Smith & Wesson M&P 9C, Kahr K9, Kahr P9, or a Walther PPS. Those are just to name a few, but make sure she handles as many guns as she can so she can make the choice herself.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    The first major purchase I made with my fiancée before her ring lol was a 9mm lady smith. We went to the gun shop just looking around because her hands were to small for the glocks I had and boom I bought it and to this day she wont shoot much of anything else

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My wife saw first hand that revolvers are not as simple as everyone makes them out to be. And anyone who thinks that "a purty little thing" like your wife cant handle anything bigger or more "complicated" than a .22 revolver needs to take a step into the 21st century. My wife handles her Glock 19 like a champ. She wasn't too thrilled with the black, until i put a hot pink Houge grip sleeve on it. Now it is hers (she doesn't have to worry about me carrying it anymore).

Over the last year, I have been training a new to shooting female shooter. She is early 50s, with arthritis in her left hand for sure, maybe even right hand. She can't operate the slide on an automatic, and I'm not about to fight that even though some will say (mind over matter). Anyways, she wanted to keep a .22lr pistol and have her husband load it, but I told her that the weak recoil only means a weak hit to a bad guy. She quickly understood that and decided that a snub nose .357 shooting .38spl was OK.

After a year of shooting only a handful of times, I moved the target from 7 yards to 15 yards. I gave her some .357 self defense loads, but she still isn't big on shooting them, though the first .357 she shoot at 15 yards was a direct hit bulls eye...go figure. She then started to like a 4" revolver that I had taken with us.

The thing is, with folks with no background with guns, everything they see in the movies/on TV is what they think guns are about. This new shooter has went from fearing the kick/power of a .38spl to wanting only a small revolver only because (my opinion) the size intimidated her. Once folks finally shoot a few boxes, they come to a realization of the truth...not what they are told by others ("OH, I shot a .357 with my dad! OMG!! The gun almost flew out of my hands!!") or what they see on TV (Bruce Willis running and jumping while shooting and hitting everything he aims at). I told this new shooter that we are still going to load up .357 off and on, and I want her to become comfortable shooting .357 because it is a much better self-defense round.

Given what I have went through the last year, my advice is this:
    #1: Shoot something with minor recoil first. This introduces the shooter to at least the concept that guns don't go flying out of your hand when you fire a bullet.
    #2: Shoot something with a very good front sight. It is important that the shooter learn how to focus on their front sight.

For my training gun, I let everyone shoot my Buckmark with a nice Hi-Viz front sight. It is bright yellow and the recoil is nothing. After that, I step it up to .38spl out of a revolver. After a few cylinders of .38spl, I start discussing .357 power and how certain bullets have more knock down power than others. Then I mix and match .38spl with .357. If the person wanted an automatic, I would likely then introduce them to a 9mm, followed by a .40S&W. This will let the person know what they are comfortable with.

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    My wife picked out her first one, she handled everything that I could find. She ended up getting a IMI SP-21, she loves it, Now she wants something smaller... So here we go again, I am letting her go on her own this time. So I don't have to hear what do you think about this one? 200 times in one day.. I agree Let her pick it and don't give any advice, it will haunt you if she picks on you liked and then down the road finds something she don't like about it..

Top Bottom