• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your willing to discuss it here I'm looking to hear stories about those who are in this situation:

You've returned home, you may have a diagnosis of PTSD in your jacket and are trying to obtain your license to carry.

It seems other states (Texas for example) makes it difficult. I'm assuming this is the case here.

Has anyone been able to navigate through and obtain their license without difficulty or did you find it next to impossible?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well a buddy of mine got his LTCH before he joined the Marines and had no problems with it when he came back with PTSD.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    From ISP:

I answered “Yes” to the question, “Have you ever been treated for psychiatric
    health care or an emotional or mental illness?” What information do I have to provide?

Submit documentation and or a recommendation from the treating mental health professional or treatment center.
    The normal practice is for the applicant to sign a release for the mental health records, and have the treating facility forward them to the Indiana State Police for review. After review of the complete records, we are usually able to make a determination without further input from the applicant.
    Alternatively, you may obtain a letter from the treating mental health professional or treatment center. This letter should include a brief description of the presenting problem(s), dates of treatment, and past and current treatment and medications. This letter should also include a statement that the signing individual has reviewed the complete mental health history, that the person has identified no indication of a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct, and the person is recommending issuance of the license.
    If you are unable to obtain either of the above, please include a written statement of such with the application.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

There is something woefully abhorrent about the idea that men and women who voluntarily serve their nation and put themselves in harms way to defend our freedom and liberty could themselves have their freedom oppressed due to the rendering of that very service.

Regards,

Doug

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    This is one of the "hot button" issues gun owners cry about constantly. The anti-gun folks have been trying to require doctors to report any such diagnosis. IMO this would be a clear HIPAA violation but in their own delusional world they don't let little things like existing laws bother them. That said the question seems to be, would you turn yourself in or take the chance that they might discover the diagnosis some other way.*

*Hypothetical question! Do not post your answer.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Hunh? Just the antis? The NRA proposed a national mental healthy registry.

The larger debate aside, it's very common to see some sort of counselor these days. Insurance pays for it. The old fashioned counseling venues like the church are often no longer a part of our social world. Someone who realizes he has a problem and seeks professional help is probably better than someone who won't see a shrink no matter what. Having no mental health record doesn't mean you are not completely guano crazy.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    From ISP:
    I was never treated for PTSD, but I was treated for behavioral health issues when I was in my teens. I had to obtain a copy of my medical records that proved I finished treatment. I had a hearing in front of a judge, a ISP lieutenant, and two other officials during which I presented my medical treatment records for evaluation. One week later I received a letter in the mail with my LTCH.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was never treated for PTSD, but I was treated for behavioral health issues when I was in my teens. I had to obtain a copy of my medical records that proved I finished treatment. I had a hearing in front of a judge, a ISP lieutenant, and two other officials during which I presented my medical treatment records for evaluation. One week later I received a letter in the mail with my LTCH.

A simple "no" would have saved you a lot of trouble... Just sayin'.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This has come up with a friend of mine who did 3 tours and resides in a different state. She had expressed interest in getting her license but was told she would most likely be excluded since she had a disability of PTSD. She was retired with over 20 yrs of active service. Her last deployment she was involved in an IED blast but continued serving as a medic with 2 weapons for 13 months.

I can recognize that there is a need to keep weapons from certain crazies. This is a slippery slope... I would have her answer all of the questions as truthfully as she can but without recourse there appears to be ANY mention of a diagnosis gets you disqualified from carrying.

I suggested she apply for an indiana non resident permit since she makes frequent trips back here from the state in which she resides

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This has come up with a friend of mine who did 3 tours and resides in a different state. She had expressed interest in getting her license but was told she would most likely be excluded since she had a disability of PTSD. She was retired with over 20 yrs of active service. Her last deployment she was involved in an IED blast but continued serving as a medic with 2 weapons for 13 months.

I can recognize that there is a need to keep weapons from certain crazies. This is a slippery slope... I would have her answer all of the questions as truthfully as she can but without recourse there appears to be ANY mention of a diagnosis gets you disqualified from carrying.

I suggested she apply for an indiana non resident permit since she makes frequent trips back here from the state in which she resides

Excluding specific exceptions (regular place of business) Indiana does not issue non-resident LTCH's.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Many states just need verification from your treating physician or psychiatrist that you do not pose a danger by owning or possessing a firearm. In fact, some states, even the notorious anti-gun New Jersey has actually added this to their regulations. If you have ever been treated for a mental disorder, all you need is a certification from a physician or psychologist that you are good to go and that is it. No questions.

If you challenged the denial, the burden would be on the State to show that you should be denied. However if you lie about it and they find out, that can be used as grounds for permanent denial or future revocation if it comes to light later.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To All,

There is something woefully abhorrent about the idea that men and women who voluntarily serve their nation and put themselves in harms way to defend our freedom and liberty could themselves have their freedom oppressed due to the rendering of that very service.

Regards,

Doug

I will say one thing about this. Some that go in had anger management problems to begin with.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How is that possible given that constitutional carry, by definition, is carry unrestricted by law. Perhaps you are thinking of national reciprocity?

How would constitutional carry work with federal GFZ and the 1000ft school rule? Seems like it would put handguns in the same weird category as long guns in Indiana... This restricting them further than they are now.

Top Bottom