• ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    To All,

There is something woefully abhorrent about the idea that men and women who voluntarily serve their nation and put themselves in harms way to defend our freedom and liberty could themselves have their freedom oppressed due to the rendering of that very service.

Regards,

Doug

There is something woefully abhorrent about the idea that babies die and that young people (any people) get cancer. Life is full of woefully abhorrent situations. Like when people use a a gun to kill another person. Or kill 5 people. Or 10 people. Or more.

We ***** and moan when people talk gun control. Or registration. But SOMETHING needs to be done. Something like, say, taking guns away from crazy people. or people who have shown a propensity for violence. Because anyone who takes another person's life when not in a self defense (or law enforcement or military) is crazy. Who determines or predicts who is this crazy? That's the million dollar question...

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    A person's right denied because of a could be or a maybe. The world is indeed crazy. Apply the same logic to a driver's license and if it does not make sense there nor should it with a LTCH

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    How would constitutional carry work with federal GFZ and the 1000ft school rule? Seems like it would put handguns in the same weird category as long guns in Indiana... This restricting them further than they are now.
    That "1000' from a school crap" got nullified by a fed court in Louisiana back in the 90s. SCOTUS refused to hear an appeal by clinton's admin

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    One question about the application: it asks if you have had PSYCHIATRIC care...is simple counseling all that, even IF the counselor is a psychiatrist? If he/she is 'just' a psychologist with no MD after their name, the state would have a hard time making that case. Speaking of MDs, what if a GP prescribes an anti depressant, does that fit? He's NOT a psychiatrist.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That "1000' from a school crap" got nullified by a fed court in Louisiana back in the 90s. SCOTUS refused to hear an appeal by clinton's admin

I'd like one also. I do know that SCOTUS shot down the original federal gun free school act, but they passed a new and reworded one the next year. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been challenged that high yet.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    ok all this fed BS is not relevant. if it is why is it legal in some states to drop your kid off while carrying a gun so long as you don't exit the car? you'r well within the gun free zone at this point but it is legal.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    ok all this fed BS is not relevant. if it is why is it legal in some states to drop your kid off while carrying a gun so long as you don't exit the car? you'r well within the gun free zone at this point but it is legal.

The 1000ft rule doesn't apply if you have a license issued by the state and the state allows it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'd like one also. I do know that SCOTUS shot down the original federal gun free school act, but they passed a new and reworded one the next year. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been challenged that high yet.
    I didn't know that they recycled it with new wording. How did they resolve the issues the original bill had? The 5th circuit court said that it was just an overreach, and SCOTUS side stepped the 2A issue and said it was an overreach of congress' authority to regulate commerce IIRC.
    chezuki I had trouble finding the archive since I forgot the case name. Maybe Kirk can help you with that.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

The 1000ft rule doesn't apply if you have a license issued by the state and the state allows it.

It was brought up in reference to how Indiana adopting Constitutional Carry could create more restriction. If Indiana did not issue a LTCH because it was not longer required (Constitutional Carry) then that exemption from the federal GFZ would no longer apply.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I didn't know that they recycled it with new wording. How did they resolve the issues the original bill had? The 5th circuit court said that it was just an overreach, and SCOTUS side stepped the 2A issue and said it was an overreach of congress' authority to regulate commerce IIRC.
    chezuki I had trouble finding the archive since I forgot the case name. Maybe Kirk can help you with that.

Here is the decision that overturned the 1990 law.
    United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549 (1995).

IIRC (I can't find the original text of it) it based the prohibition on the fact that education effects commerce, and that carrying a firearm can effect education that they were allowed to ban it. The new law adds that since firearms themselves (or at least the base material) move in interstate commerce grants them the authority to regulate them for the same reason. It's been upheld in several circuit courts but has not made it's way to SCOTUS.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    One question about the application: it asks if you have had PSYCHIATRIC care...is simple counseling all that, even IF the counselor is a psychiatrist? If he/she is 'just' a psychologist with no MD after their name, the state would have a hard time making that case. Speaking of MDs, what if a GP prescribes an anti depressant, does that fit? He's NOT a psychiatrist.
    I'm interested in this. A friend of mine has been prescribed antidepressants in the past by an MD. Is that psychriatric care?

Top Bottom