Not open for further replies.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    9mm Para, 147 flat point, truncated cone, jacketed ammo

Looking for 9mm Para, 147 flat point, truncated cone, jacketed ammo. I like it for the range and would like to add to my pile. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This thread is very long in the tooth.
    Lets start another one.

Get your ammo here II

My bad fellas.....This is a sticky.

Apology's

I can see a need for a thread like this to be sticky. I do find it very helpful. But it doesn't take long for most posts in it to be irrelevant. Sometimes Hours or even minutes. This thread now has > 7000 irrelevant posts. Seems like it is overdue for retiring, and then make the "Ammo II" thread the sticky one.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I can see a need for a thread like this to be sticky. I do find it very helpful. But it doesn't take long for most posts in it to be irrelevant. Sometimes Hours or even minutes. This thread now has > 7000 irrelevant posts. Seems like it is overdue for retiring, and then make the "Ammo II" thread the sticky one.

And how long will it take before the first post in the new thread is "irrelevant" ???

The nature of this thread is that the deals aren't gonna last forever....hell, the .22 deals are often gone minutes after a member posts them.

Why mess with something that isn't broke??

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A thread that has 7000 posts is a bigger drain on server resourses than a thread with just a few posts.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I may have to take a trip to Cabella's today. Often when they have online sales, they also have in-store sales.

I wish they'd have more sales on 10mm.

They do honor the online sale in the store if it is not listed on the shelves. If there is an issue, I just pull it up on my phone. Case closed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How so? Will the old thread be deleted to save memory space?

It's not so much a space issue as it is an efficiency issue. Querying becomes more process intensive as the post count goes up in a given thread. I haven't worked with vbulletin in several years but I do recall we had issues with threads with a high post count, especially during volume periods, when a lot of people were viewing and posting to busy threads.

Of course if INGO resides on well hung servers, it may not be a problem. The hardware we ran our Vbulletin forum on wasn't very powerful, even for the time. We frequently had to deal with high CPU usage.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know anything about vbulletin, but why would it query posts that it's not displaying?

Wow. Maybe there's more interest in this than I thought. I certainly didn't think I was going to spark this much conversation about it. But if we're going to have a deeper conversation about it, maybe it would be more appropriate to have that conversation in a different thread. And anyway, it may all be irrelevant if INGO runs on well hung hardware.

But about this question: the query would be run against all the posts, to exclude the data that you don't want. Think of it like this. You have a bucket of different colors of sand, and varying numbers of each color, each grain sequentially numbered by the order in which they were added to the bucket. So let's say there are 7000 grains of white sand. You want to retrieve only white sand, but you want just the 1600th through the 1639th grain of white sand that was added to the bucket. Think about how you would go about retrieving that result set from the millions of grains of different colored sand in the bucket.

There are optimizations in modern relational databases to help make all that efficient, but the bottom line is still, more records = more processing. So, if a lot of people are requesting various sequences of white grains from the 7000 grains of white sand, all while others are adding new grains of white sand, among the millions of grains of all sand, that takes more processing than, say, picking out all the grains of blue sand if there are only a relatively few grains of blue sand in the bucket.

If that causes performance issues, you have a few options. You can opt for manhood enhancement and upgrade your hardware. Or, you reduce the number of overall grains of sand or reduce the number of white grains of sand. Or, you can just make it so no one ads to or asks for the white sand anymore. Add a new color that replaces the old color, and let people add to and ask for the blue sand--until there is too much of that.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Dunhams in Fort Wayne has thousands and thousands of 22 rounds. It ranges in price from 6 cents a round to 15 cents a round.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Looking for 9mm Para, 147 flat point, truncated cone, jacketed ammo. I like it for the range and would like to add to my pile. :):

Is truncated cone just repeating that it's flat nosed and not round nosed? If so, I like American Eagle Federal 147gr:

Federal American Eagle 9mm Ammo 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket

$12.50 a box or save on shipping and buy a case for $250. Most other places I checked were charging more like $13.99 per box of 50, so this seems to be a pretty decent price. If I'm wrong on your specs, I apologize.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is truncated cone just repeating that it's flat nosed and not round nosed? If so, I like American Eagle Federal 147gr:

Federal American Eagle 9mm Ammo 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket

$12.50 a box or save on shipping and buy a case for $250. Most other places I checked were charging more like $13.99 per box of 50, so this seems to be a pretty decent price. If I'm wrong on your specs, I apologize.

I used to shoot UMC Leadless a lot. Of course, it's not "leadless". The bullet is jacketed lead, but has a "leadless" primer. The bullet is poured from the top instead of the base, so the flat nose is exposed lead. I liked it because it was very clean burning. The brass looked almost new after firing. And it was reliable and cheap, usually < $11.50/box of 50. Not anymore.

After Sandy Hook caused the empty shelves, I can never find the stuff. And when I do it's $20+ per box of 50.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks, I said it two ways because it is often one or the other on a website and I didn't want folks to get confused. UMC "Leadless" was what I used to but but like was said,it has become pretty expensive. Thanks again gents!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom