• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brainslushy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Warrick County
    I used to do it back about 8 years ago when it was still very new. I only have 2 or 3 finds. Always liked the idea...just never had enough time to do it much. I've told my wife about it too and she thinks it's interesting and I'm sure we'll pick up our GPS sometime and do it again.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Wow I cannot believe with the hikers and stuff we have on here that only 2 of us has ever done this.:dunno: I guess some people just hike the trails in fear of getting lost.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Interested in doing this, looked at it a while back and think my daughter and I could have some fun on the easier hikes (she is 8) and she really thinks it sounds cool.

Only thing keeping me is not having a handheld GPS, when I get one I will go for sure, there are several nearby caches. This thread might be a better fit in "The Great Outdoors" for the hikers to see?

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Yes Bloomington area has several caches. If you were closer I have a Garmin I would let you try out as we have 2.
    I tried to move it but I guess a Mod needs to do it.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    I bought a GPS for the family at christmas, but havn't been able to figure out the coordinate thing. We have done orienteering with a map and compass, and are all about "bushwhacking". Need some lessons in the "how" in geocaching. I know there are groups in town (Indy) that get together, just haven't had the time or inclination. Possibly waiting for "coooooooler" weather.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    After more than one unpleasant encounter, I would advise anyone geocaching in an urban area (read: anything not in the woods) to use caution. Post-9/11, people tend to freak out when they see you hiding packages and containers and walking away.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I went out the first few months after it started. Just after selective availability was turned off on GPS's. Then I started again a few years back with my new Girlfriend (now Fiancee). We stopped after my Garmin 60CS just died. My old eMap wasn't as nice.

I always seemed to find the hardest way to get to a cache, then figure out the easy way back. But that is part of the fun. We did find the micro cache at the circle in downtown Indy. That was a pretty cool cache.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got a gps and we did a few of them back in Michigan. Right now I have no time and I think I would rather have a gps for the jeep.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I got a gps and we did a few of them back in Michigan. Right now I have no time and I think I would rather have a gps for the jeep.

Good point. A "street map" GPS is not suitable as the software has a tendency to show where it thinks you should be rather than your actual calculated position. TomTom does this, for example, to keep your "Car" icon lined up on the road on the moving map. You can see this effect especially when you have a calculated route planned and the GPS tells you to take a freeway offramp and you continue on straight. The "Car" icon will follow the ramp until it realizes you didn't turn and then snap back over to your actual position.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Good point. A "street map" GPS is not suitable as the software has a tendency to show where it thinks you should be rather than your actual calculated position. TomTom does this, for example, to keep your "Car" icon lined up on the road on the moving map. You can see this effect especially when you have a calculated route planned and the GPS tells you to take a freeway offramp and you continue on straight. The "Car" icon will follow the ramp until it realizes you didn't turn and then snap back over to your actual position.

Every "car" version I have ever used has an option to switch to "hiking" mode or something similar. This eliminate that auto lock to roads options. That being said, a real hiking GPS has many features that work better while hiking and generally have better construction to take more of a beating and keep dirt/water out better.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Every "car" version I have ever used has an option to switch to "hiking" mode or something similar. This eliminate that auto lock to roads options. That being said, a real hiking GPS has many features that work better while hiking and generally have better construction to take more of a beating and keep dirt/water out better.

My Garmin had that, but my TomTom does not. Or rather, it does, but it's more of an emergency mode "I need to walk to the nearest help" sort of thing. It's not very useful for hiking.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was introduced to the sport just a few months back. I started it just to stay current with the GPS. Fortunately, the kids and wife love it so we go quite a bit. We don't have a whole lot of finds yet as the kids are very little, we have to be selective about what we hunt, but I've now managed 2 continents and am working on the third.
    Tinman....

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I have been all over geo-caching with my family. Team Earth Quakers. My dad is really the one who logs everything, but I have found quite a few caches with him.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Great I figured there had to some more out there who enjoyed caching. It is a great way to spend time with the family, is cheap and is the best way to get some practical experience with your GPS.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I did a lot of caching a couple years ago but kind of lost interest. I have to admit, however, that geocaching introduced me to a lot of places of interest that I had no idea existed in my area.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I just started yesterday! I had a blast only have one find now. but about 4 years ago I was out turkey hunting close to my house and found a little rubber made contaner with a note pad and a few little keep sakes. I didnt think much of it, just .figured it was someone wanting to see if any one else would find it. I hade no idea of geocaching, but yesterday I overherd a convesation and thought to my self I have found one of thoes before. after googleing it I started mt adventure and found another one. it will be somthing to do on a boring sunday afternoon.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been wanting to do this for a while, think I might have the wife interested and luckily there's about 7 places within a mile to get her hooked!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I wanna try this out really bad. Sounds awesome. Unfortunately I dont have a GPS, and I doubt there would be many Caches in and around my area...

Top Bottom