• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are your feelings on gay marriage?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why would they want to get married and spoil a good thing?:twocents:

What if they want to spoil it?
    Like other have said they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us if they want.
    Because when you are not married you dont have the same legal rights, especially when it comes to children.
    You become family by the marriage and gay people have the right to start a familly.
    If your partner is in the hospital, you can visit him/her as family, decide what to do and such.If you are just a boyfriend or girlfriend it's different, you are not familly and are nobody.
    Being legally a family is important to raise children and just have a happy life.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I guess a strange answer here. I really don't care about the marriage aspect, human nature being what it is, this perceived nirvana will be soiled by divorce and suffering. I prefer civil unions under Man's law.

Natural Law trumps Man's Law. The follies of man will be addressed by a higher power.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just wish I could get a logical answer...

Same. :):
    I dont see any different between gay and straight marriage, both are marriages and both can be religions as well.Depending on the church and religion of course.
    Not all churches and religions think that gay marriage is a bad thing or a sin.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess a strange answer here. I really don't care about the marriage aspect, human nature being what it is, this perceived nirvana will be soiled by divorce and suffering. I prefer civil unions under Man's law.

Natural Law trumps Man's Law. The follies of man will be addressed by a higher power.

Yeah if they get the right to get married they should get the right to divorce as well, because they will need it.
    But everybody should have the right to make that mistake of getting married.Dont tell my wife! :):

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What if they want to spoil it?
    Like other have said they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us if they want.
    Because when you are not married you dont have the same legal rights, especially when it comes to children.
    You become family by the marriage and gay people have the right to start a familly.
    If your partner is in the hospital, you can visit him/her as family, decide what to do and such.If you are just a boyfriend or girlfriend it's different, you are not familly and are nobody.
    Being legally a family is important to raise children and just have a happy life.
    I know you won't agree, Sylvain, but to my way of thinking raising children in a "gay marriage" should constitute child abuse. I understand all the wants of the gay couples. The rights to do as you please with your inheiritance, share medical benefits as a couple, visit a sick partner in the hospital could all be taken care of by simple legislation. Children should not be subjected to the situation. They get enough questionable ideas w/o telling them that gay is ok b4 they're old enough to have any feelings one way or another. It's a societal rot through brainwashing of children. When we cease to make judgements about what is right and what is wrong then society has no standards and has failed as a society and will fall of its own weight soon enough.
    Asking to call a gay partnership a MARRIAGE is simply 3% of the population saying "WE"RE SPECIAL" and thinking they have the right to stick a finger in the eye of religion through manipulation of government through public propaganda. Tell a lie often enough and it starts to sound like the truth. Even to the liar.:dunno: Hope I'm not being unclear.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I just wish I could get a logical answer...

It is a semantic argument and I think a politician's PC cop out. To say that gay people can have a "civil union" with all the rights and responsibilities, but not call it a marriage is silly to me. It' like say that you have a sitting device with legs and a back but you can't call it a chair.

Again, this doesn't affect a person's individual church and that congregation is free to recognize whatever they wish. Hell, technically the Catholic church doesn't recognize ANYONE'S marriage that wasn't performed by the church.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I know you won't agree, Sylvain, but to my way of thinking raising children in a "gay marriage" should constitute child abuse. I understand all the wants of the gay couples. The rights to do as you please with your inheiritance, share medical benefits as a couple, visit a sick partner in the hospital could all be taken care of by simple legislation. Children should not be subjected to the situation. They get enough questionable ideas w/o telling them that gay is ok b4 they're old enough to have any feelings one way or another. It's a societal rot through brainwashing of children. When we cease to make judgements about what is right and what is wrong then society has no standards and has failed as a society and will fall of its own weight soon enough.
    Asking to call a gay partnership a MARRIAGE is simply 3% of the population saying "WE"RE SPECIAL" and thinking they have the right to stick a finger in the eye of religion through manipulation of government through public propaganda. Tell a lie often enough and it starts to sound like the truth. Even to the liar.:dunno: Hope I'm not being unclear.

So much for only God can judge... Child abuse huh so do you feel the same way about fat parents with fat kids? I thought religion was separate from state and that we had freedom of religion...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Child abuse? :n00b:
    You see many cases of REAL child abuse in straight married couples.
    I dont see what parents sexuality has to do with child abuse.
    I think it's much better for kids to be raised in a loving gay family with wonderful parents, than being raised in a straight family who will abuse their kids, cheat on eachother or whatever other bad thing for the kids.
    The sexuality of the parents has nothing to do with the well being of the children.
    It's so hard for gay parents to adopt kids (even hard for straight parents, but even harder for gay parents) that they are actually always very good and loving parents.
    Any straight couple can make kids and treat them poorly.
    But to get picked for adoption, when you are a gay couple, means that you are quite close to the perfect family and that you will take really good care of your kids.
    That's why real child abuse is much more common in straight couples.
    I never heard of any kid who was not happy with his two moms or two dads, but I heard of MANY kids who were not happy with their mom and dad.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Same. :):
    I dont see any different between gay and straight marriage, both are marriages and both can be religions as well.Depending on the church and religion of course.
    Not all churches and religions think that gay marriage is a bad thing or a sin.

Disclaimer: the following is an argument of logic, not religion.

THe only way your point is valid is if all religions are equally correct. But by definition they can't be. Assuming for the sake of argument the existence of a higher being (because without one, there wouldn't be a true religion), only one religion can be correct. By their nature they are all mutually exclusive.

Ergo, the argument that some allow it and some don't is inadequate to justify it's acceptability. It can only be justified according to the one true religion, whichever one that is.

So it's illogical to justify marriage between two people of the same sex based on religious acceptability unless you have evidence that the religion that accepts it is the one true religion.

On this point, I'm afraid, your argument is crap.

On the others, no such discussion is allowed. And even if it were, the two sides never start with the same premise anyway. Whether it's an issue of semantics or something much deeper, there is never going to be a meeting of the minds on defining marriage.

Gays went wrong with trying to co-opt the language. They'd have had a much better chance simply arguing that state-sanctioned unions disguised as marriages were nothing more than a contractual agreements between two parties and as such there was no legal basis to deny them the right to enter into such contracts with people of the same sex.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Child abuse? :n00b:
    You see many cases of REAL child abuse in straight married couples.
    I dont see what parents sexuality has to do with child abuse.
    I think it's much better for kids to be raised in a loving gay family with wonderful parents, than being raised in a straight family who will abuse their kids, cheat on eachother or whatever other bad thing for the kids.
    The sexuality of the parents has nothing to do with the well being of the children.
    It's so hard for gay parents to adopt kids (even hard for straight parents, but even harder for gay parents) that they are actually always very good and loving parents.
    Any straight couple can make kids and treat them poorly.
    But to get picked for adoption, when you are a gay couple, means that you are quite close to the perfect family and that you will take really good care of your kids.
    That's why real child abuse is much more common in straight couples.
    I never heard of any kid who was not happy with his two moms or two dads, but I heard of MANY kids who were not happy with their mom and dad.

Calm down Sylvain. I agree with what your ideas are here but let's not go elevate any form of lifestyle above any other. Homosexual relationships deal with the same hardships as straight relationships and similar things happen in them. I don't know the rates or statistics but can tell you that words like "always" and assuming that a gay couple that is approved for adoption will take really good care of their kids is not accurate. I would agree that the rates of abuse is higher with straight couples and that is likely due to a less stable home when the child was born than the adoptive home that has been scrutinized for 18 months leading to the adoption.

I also put very little weight on a child's happiness with their parents until the "child" is 24 years old. The amount of spoiled brats that I deal with that are mad because they only get a Droid instead of an iPhone or a red car instead of a blue one would be enough to turn me into an abusive, unfit parent.

Edit: I'm not a parent and have no plans to become one so don't act like I'm an abusive father :)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Government sanctioned marriage is a hold over Jim Crow law.

I find it ridiculous that gay people are begging to be treated like recently freed black slaves.

The idea that a person who is free needs government permission to get married is one of the many things wrong with this country.

As a free person you should have a Right to get married. A right that doesn't require going down to a courthouse and begging for a license like a slave or recently freed slave.

The idea is even more repugnant than firearms licenses.

Marriage should be kept OUT of government for strait or gay couples.

I certainly hope no one is stupid enough to say "what do we do if government doesn't issue licenses"... The same dang thing George Washington and Abe Lincoln did... they just fracking married and didn't beg permission from anyone.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    So it's illogical to justify marriage between two people of the same sex based on religious acceptability unless you have evidence that the religion that accepts it is the one true religion.

On this point, I'm afraid, your argument is crap.

By that standard not justifying same sex marriage based on religious unacceptance is illogical unless you have evidence that it is the one true religion.

An equally crappy argument.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom