• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I'm planning on going to Florida to meet up with a buddy and hunt a couple of gators in August. I'm looking for some equipment and thought it might be worth throwing it out here to see if I could find a powerhead or bangstick or other equipment I might need. I've done some preliminary research, but some experienced advice wouldn't hurt. Does anyone have any experience, and any advice for me?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i did it with a guide and it was a blast. a friend of mine had it all set up for us on leave once. i can't give you much advise because it was pretty easy w/ the guide but it was definitely a unique expierence

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just be sure that you're legal to do so as a non-resident!

Go through all the proper hoops. And have fun!

Perhaps you can eradicate some hogs while down there, too!

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    He's going to grad school down there, and in order to get paid instead of paying money he had to become a resident. That also means he can get an in-state license. I can get an "assistant" license for cheap. I told him I'd split the cost of the licenses with him and we'd both get to harvest a gator, since he can get two with one license!

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Just need a .22 you do not mind getting wet. Practice three to five foot shots so you can put them into a golf ball.

Learn the anatomy of the gator. Have a stable boat and do not get on land with them.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    No bang sticks but have fun. A friend of mine is an engineer down there in Palm Beach and she (yes, she - she's an awesome lady) killed her first gator this year with a harpoon.

Last edited:

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Isn't gators are like cro you have to shoot their brain the size of the golf ball?
    That's the rumor. That's where the bangstick comes in - there's a spot at the back of the head. You have to put a bullet right under a plate of bone on top of the head. It's illegal to do it with anything but a bangstick, I think

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm planning on going to Florida to meet up with a buddy and hunt a couple of gators in August. I'm looking for some equipment and thought it might be worth throwing it out here to see if I could find a powerhead or bangstick or other equipment I might need. I've done some preliminary research, but some experienced advice wouldn't hurt. Does anyone have any experience, and any advice for me?

Let start by saying, it's HOT in FLORIDA, So take plenty of fluids, a GPS(you don't want to get lost in the EVERGLADES) BUG SPRAY{or you'll be EATEN alive}:twocents:

z0mk3y m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Does your friend have access to an airboat? Only way to go :) Increases your odds a ton because of the ability of the driver to spot from high up. Not to mention you can actually get back in to the grass where they are gonna be.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I know when I was stationed in mississippi the guys we went with just used a .22lr and they shot them while we got drunk and we helped pull them in. Biggest we seen was about seven foot. They stink like hell and they shoot one gator about three times don't know about a bang stick if it ain't four feet long or more good luck cause they paused when pulled up then spin like crazy they shot as soon as the nose is out of water or they start spinning and you will mess the head up. If your going to mount head one shot one kill. If just for meat you'll do fine its pretty easy if they're a biten. Always tie there mouth up cause they shot one and thought it was dead and think god for a beer cooler or the "captain" woulda had a wooden leg crushed a small metal cooler like it was a pc of foam. They used zip ties. Good luck and watch for snakes.

Top Bottom