Gas for a penny a gallon due to glitch: do you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy?

• Total voters

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If a website mistakenly posts an item for sale for $0.01, you buy it, and they cancel your order because it was a typo, are you mad? I ask this to as an analogy to the initial question.

Would anyone be upset if the store posted pics of their plates for the people who purchased gas for a penny?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is stealing from the pocket of a huge corporation morally superior to stealing from the pocket of your neighbor?

No. Clearly not. It is stealing.

I simply added in the "pocket of your neighbor" part to emphasis that these thieves probably shop at the same grocery stores and have kids attending the same schools as the guy from who they are stealing. The guy they are stealing from probably sponsors a little league team in the community, perhaps a bowling team, and probably donates coffee to the local police officers too. Why people would want to steal from him is beyond my comprehension.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why people would want to steal from him is beyond my comprehension.

Yeah, they should just vote for someone who will steal our income in the form of taxes and start a gas-money social welfare benefit instead. Oh, maybe that's the $20 free cash you can get and the Medicaid cab service.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If a website mistakenly posts an item for sale for $0.01, you buy it, and they cancel your order because it was a typo, are you mad? I ask this to as an analogy to the initial question.

Would anyone be upset if the store posted pics of their plates for the people who purchased gas for a penny?

This has happed before.. Kind of.. not for a penny, but someone broke into the pump and charged $20 for a fill up... as much as you wanted.. the store owner was shocked as to who he seen on the video camera... some were close friends, and frequent customers he spoke to most every day...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Many stores have a policy that if something is mis-priced or stocked in the wrong location giving the appearance of a lower price, they will honor it.

A while back at Walmart I bought 2 500rd boxes (10x50rd) of Wildcat .22lr for $1.99 each because someone stocked them wrong and didn't feel like a criminal. :dunno:

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Kinda similar to the lovely folks who filled carts to overflowing when Walmart had a glitch, no?

EBT glitch.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I see people complaining about gas stations not setting for a "fair price", I conclude that we must have more Obama supporters here than I thought. "Fair price" = what? What you think is OK? If you really, really need gas a "fair price" is cheaper? If you have more money, a "fair price" is more?

If someone makes a mistake, it's wrong to take advantage, no matter how big the corporation is. A long time ago, a guy asked a teacher: "Who is my neighbor"? The teacher told a story that essentially showed that whoever crosses your path that you can do good for is your neighbor. Everyone is my neighbor and it's wrong to try to screw them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Many stores have a policy that if something is mis-priced or stocked in the wrong location giving the appearance of a lower price, they will honor it.

A while back at Walmart I bought 2 500rd boxes (10x50rd) of Wildcat .22lr for $1.99 each because someone stocked them wrong and didn't feel like a criminal. :dunno:

They have those policies so people don't scream at their employees and say "it was marked $1.99, gimme my ammo!!!". And then post all over the Internet about how Walmart screwed them and discriminated against them. If not for PR they would not honor the price.

I have seen things marked wrong at stores. Rather than buy them, I find an employee and mention it.

this station will either eat the entire loss unless a corporate error was at fault probably. Then he can either just be fine losing a month of income, or raise his prices for a while to recoup what he lost. Then people will complain about him gouging more than other stations who are "right across the street!" And he'll lose business. Sad all around.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No. Clearly not. It is stealing.

I simply added in the "pocket of your neighbor" part to emphasis that these thieves probably shop at the same grocery stores and have kids attending the same schools as the guy from who they are stealing. The guy they are stealing from probably sponsors a little league team in the community, perhaps a bowling team, and probably donates coffee to the local police officers too. Why people would want to steal from him is beyond my comprehension.

I must admit that I'm torn. You are right of course that stealing from one is the same as stealing from the other. However, as chezuki pointed out, most stores will honor an incorrect price if it is their fault.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I must admit that I'm torn. You are right of course that stealing from one is the same as stealing from the other. However, as chezuki pointed out, most stores will honor an incorrect price if it is their fault.

Which is their call to make, and no one else's.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

we each live with the decisions that we make. If you feel comfortable in what you did then that's your choice. When walmart raises the price on ammo to make up for their lost money we know who to blame :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Next time your bank has a computer glitch and over charges your accounts by $100 I don't want to hear any complaints.
    if you miss a deduction on your taxes and the govt keeps your money I don't want to hear any complaints.
    im really not surprised at the poll results. I wouldn't leave a tip for my waitress on the table at a meet and great with some folks here.

if the ATM screws up and gives you extra money and you take it and they can track it back guess who better be forking over some cash! I hope they track them all down and suspend their licenses. This can't be chalked up as 'oops I didn't notice'. The taking advantage of was deliberate. Theft

Last edited:
    Top Bottom