• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    The guys they are talking about in the article are "reserve officers" and have no training compaired to the full-time LEO's. The full time guys banned together and tried to shut the reserve program down with little success. This isn't the first time the reserve program has brought embarrasment to the full time LEO's.

A few years ago, the Gary Police FOP lodge sent letters to surrounding agencies warning about how untrained these guys were and they felt they put the public in danger. Most of the reserves never had LEO training (40hr pre-basic, state mandated training, etc) . Needless to say, most of them (reserves) were political hires. They did downsize the program but only got rid of the people that weren't connected to the city politics.

GPD is over worked & the lowest paid force in Lake County! They do have a good group of guys & gals there that are top-notch but the city will lose them if changes aren't made. As far as the low test scores at ILEA.... GPD is well known for not hiring the best candidate for the job. Being from the city trumps all in the selection/promotion process!

:ingo:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Guns DO go bang when triggers are not touched.

I won't dispute that fact.

That said, if there was a way to prove it, I'd bet $1,000 that this guy pulled the trigger. That is FAR more likely than an actual AD. There is no doubt in my mind that this was a ND. He was probably trying to find the safety or the decocker or something.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Seriously unfamiliar with Glock's design...did the guy have his booger hook on the bang switch or can they discharge when a mag is slapped in if the planets are aligned correctly and you're holding your tongue just right...?

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    I have been around two weapons that discharged without the triggers pulled. In one case I was closing my old Browning Citori while shooting trap. When I closed it, it went off. There was a mechanical failure and it had to be sent back to Browning.

The second weapon was my fathers Rem 700. It started going off when the bolt was closed. Something broke in the trigger mechanism.

While this guy probably pulled the trigger, just know it can and will happen. And I will say this, it is a scary f@$cking feeling when it happens. I am glad my father drilled into my head exactly how to handle a firearm at all times.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    They don't even need sand barrels. At new castle prison when I worked there they had a device to put the barrel in to make sure the chamber was empty before it was returned to the armory. It was the size of a small coffee can mounted on the wall. Would only take one shot before the rubber insides needed replaced. So like a sand barrel but much more conveinant.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Is there an official difference between a ND (negligent discharge), and an AD (accidental Discharge)? Or are they the same thing?

ND = you did something stupid, and fired the gun without intending to.

AD = gun malfunctioned and fired, without you intending it to.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Even if the gun "malfunctioned and fired when you didn't intend it to" you still have control over what it is pointing at. If you cannot follow that one simple rule you should not be handling firearms.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Even if the gun "malfunctioned and fired when you didn't intend it to" you still have control over what it is pointing at. If you cannot follow that one simple rule you should not be handling firearms.

Precisely. An AD is no excuse for shooting someone.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    this reminds me of when plexico burris shot himself in the foot @ that night club, personally i prefer a manual safety... i never much cared for the integrated trigger safety..

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    this reminds me of when plexico burris shot himself in the foot @ that night club, personally i prefer a manual safety... i never much cared for the integrated trigger safety..

Burris was carrying his pistol 'Mexican style' with nothing to guard the trigger and it slipped down through his pants. If the gun had a safety it too could have been popped off 'safe' while falling through his pants.

The smart way to carry would have been to use a holster to guard the trigger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Even if the gun "malfunctioned and fired when you didn't intend it to" you still have control over what it is pointing at.

True, but bullets bounce off stuff and find soft, fleshy resting places.

A sand barrel is a better resting place than another's body.

Remember this the next time you hear "just unload it in the parking lot."

Nothing magical about the safety sphere that cars radiate (according to range officers apparently).

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    looks like they should be issuing these out:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmnc71rAyk]YouTube - The Other Guys - Rape Whistle[/ame]

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Shannon had a new .40-caliber Glock 22 semiautomatic pistol vehicle with him and he was "unfamiliar with" the firearm.

Every department I know has a policy against carrying a firearm you are "unfamiliar" with and haven't qualified with. I say :poop:can him.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Let's see. He had his hand in front of his own barrel which was pointed in the general direction of his partner. This is why Andy kept Barney's bullet.

Top Bottom