• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Stress can often cause young plants to flower prematurely. I've often seen flats with dried up plants at a store, and most of the time they'll have little tomatoes or peppers on them.

I've had a couple of my tomatoes look like they put on blooms early. I figured it was the hot & dry, along with the problem I had with my new soil not wanting to absorb water at first. My garden looks worlds better since the rain.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How in the world do you all get rid of the annoying Voles ?? They wrecking havoc on my garden !
    Take a foot of 1 1/2" pvc and put a cap on one end. They make these little green ball of poison bait for mice and voles. Put some in the pipe and stake it to the ground in the garden with the open end slanting down so water won't contaminate the bait. Sticks of landscape staples will hold it still.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tried it without a bucket. I had dead birds all over the garden.

I have three small hav-a-heart traps that I set on routine paths that chipmunks take. I set them out as soon as I see any sign of chipmunks. I rebait and reset as needed, leaving the traps out most of the summer. Done the same for the past 5-6-7 years?

It's not uncommon to catch birds in these traps, typically little brown sparrow looking ones. For the last week, I've caught a male and female cardinal every day, sometimes twice a day. Frustrated at how dumb these birds must be, I reset the trap without rebaiting. Caught the female again a bit ago, with no bait in the trap. :xmad:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have three small hav-a-heart traps that I set on routine paths that chipmunks take. I set them out as soon as I see any sign of chipmunks. I rebait and reset as needed, leaving the traps out most of the summer. Done the same for the past 5-6-7 years?

It's not uncommon to catch birds in these traps, typically little brown sparrow looking ones. For the last week, I've caught a male and female cardinal every day, sometimes twice a day. Frustrated at how dumb these birds must be, I reset the trap without rebaiting. Caught the female again a bit ago, with no bait in the trap. :xmad:

Sounds like you have some friends that like you.
    do you ever catch chipmunks?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like you have some friends that like you.
    do you ever catch chipmunks?

I've only caught one chipmunk this year. Looks like my trapping has really dented the immediate area population?

In years past I'd catch dozens, sometimes in a couple traps at the same time.

The last couple years, my indication that chipmunks were on the move hasn't happened on my property. I've seen them crossing roadways elsewhere.

Caught the male again today, with no bait in trap. :rolleyes:

20230617_110535.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I used to have a colony of feral cats that kept them and the damn rabbits under control. Now I seem to be in the same box as you.
    Having an outdoor cat (was feral, but now lays in my lap around a fire at night) keeps the chipmunks and rabbits under control for me. Don't have voles to deal with where I'm at, thankfully

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Trimmed up some tomato plants today.

Basil has been growing like crazy....commented to the better half "basil seems to go with almost anything!

Had some chopped and spread over eggs and venison sausage this morning. Yum.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Indeterminate tomatoes are now 18-24 inches haughty so I also pruned them up for single stem.

After the rain now still needing to water starting today. Things drying up quickly

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone know what kind of weed this Is?

20230618_174449.jpg

I haven't readily been able to identify them on the interwebs. They grow on the garden borders, in the gravel driveway and pasture next to me. They get to 3-sh feet tall and have an early resistance to glyphosate.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

View attachment 282222

I haven't readily been able to identify them on the interwebs. They grow on the garden borders, in the gravel driveway and pasture next to me. They get to 3-sh feet tall and have an early resistance to glyphosate.
    Amaranth

Otherwise known as pigweed. To make sure pull one and see if it has red roots. Red rooted pig weed is one of my major garden weeds

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

View attachment 282222

Also possibly goldenrod? Goldenrod starts with a single plant, then forms clumps.

Top Bottom