• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone ever use preen to control weeds and end up stunting plant growth?

I got lazy and since everything was at least 6" tall, I hoed and weeded and sprinkled preen to keep new weeds down.
    My newly planted cukes and squash refused to grow. Eventually the cukes fell over with split stems and I ended up returning them to Lowes.
    Though Im not sure they weren't already stressed. When I got to the store the flowers nearby looked dead like they hadnt been watered in days, but the veggies looked OK.

And my cherry tomato plants immediately started flowering and growing fruit, but isnt actually growing in height. But it could be that strain of cherry tomatoes. I couldnt find the 100s I normally get and got a different variety. My slicers and heirlooms are still growing normally and are almost to the tops of the cages.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have never had a problem with using preen stunting anything already growing out of the soil. I believes all it does is stop germination of seeds.

So not feel bad about the cucumber plants mine suck this year also. Normally by now I would have many but the plants are not doing well. I should stop by the local garden center and see if they have a couple more in pots on the cheap.

The onions are already baseball size and I believe they will be softball size soon maybe even larger.

Cherry tomatoes now higher than my head and the first ones are kind orange.

Peppers looking great I need to harvest the small ones now.

Celebrity tomatoes (eaten to the ground after planting) are waist high and have green tomatoes on them. They should be much higher. They along with the cherries will produce well till the first freeze.

The second garden is started. It is laid out and cut down needs my neighbor to first till with the tractor before I hit it with the tiller. This should happen this weekend. I have a peat moss delivery next week for both.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If the SHTF I will have to be a strict carnivore!

Everything I have planted has been been smoked.

Due to the drought the vegetarian in my house would die or have to comprise their beliefs!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Due to the drought the vegetarian in my house would die or have to comprise their beliefs!
    Watering every other day is the only thing that saved my garden for the past 3 weeks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'm hoping my water bill is only doubled and not tripled. And I don't have near as much stuff out as a normal year.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

I kept the garden small this year or I might have been in these shoes also. No green beans or corn (I got 19 cases for 20 cents a can) no eggplant (not my favorite) no summer squash (but I have acorn come up from last year)

I am concentrating on a fall crop. Mainly a having stuff ready for a big garden next year.
    Garlic is going in come end of august. Planting some fruit trees this fall.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I got lazy and since everything was at least 6" tall, I hoed and weeded and sprinkled preen to keep new weeds down.
    My newly planted cukes and squash refused to grow. Eventually the cukes fell over with split stems and I ended up returning them to Lowes.
    Though Im not sure they weren't already stressed. When I got to the store the flowers nearby looked dead like they hadnt been watered in days, but the veggies looked OK.

And my cherry tomato plants immediately started flowering and growing fruit, but isnt actually growing in height. But it could be that strain of cherry tomatoes. I couldnt find the 100s I normally get and got a different variety. My slicers and heirlooms are still growing normally and are almost to the tops of the cages.

I use Preen and have not experienced this dilemma. I sprinkle it down after I de-weed & cultivate between rows.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Sometimes Treflan (the trade name of the active ingredient trifluralin) can stunt growth if you over apply it or the weather is a plant stressor, but I've never tried to use it in the garden.

From the Treflan data sheet:
    USE PRECAUTIONS Applied according to directions and under normal growing conditions, Treflan HFP will not harm the treated crop. Over application may result in crop injury or rotational crop damage from herbicide carryover. Uneven application or improper incorporation of Treflan HFP can result in erratic weed control or crop injury. Seedling disease, cold weather, deep planting, excessive moisture, high salt concentration, or drought may weaken crop seedlings and increase the possibility of damage from Treflan HFP

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd love to find ways to better use purslane, this abundant edible weed.

I think purslane is a tasty garden snack. It's not bad in salads either.

Problem for me is that the most of the time I'm eating purslane in the garden, I'm cheating/ending my fast for the day. Doing it at a time when the fast is doing me the most good to burn fat off.

I have yet to come up with cooked purslane recipe that is worth the trouble. Everthing I've tried is just OK.

Purslane makes for a great wet green in your compost though.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    We never buy pole beans, always bush beans. First 2 rows we planted are coming up pole beans, so I put up trelliss for them. Now the 3rd row looks like pole beans. I added a 4th row which is just starting. Possibly the first row could have been pole bean, but I cannot see all three rows. We plant each row about 2-3 weeks apart. I believe we bought the seeds for the first 2 rows at the same time and the 3rd and 4th row seeds were bought at different stores. Anyone ever get the incorrect seeds in a package.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We never buy pole beans, always bush beans. First 2 rows we planted are coming up pole beans, so I put up trelliss for them. Now the 3rd row looks like pole beans. I added a 4th row which is just starting. Possibly the first row could have been pole bean, but I cannot see all three rows. We plant each row about 2-3 weeks apart. I believe we bought the seeds for the first 2 rows at the same time and the 3rd and 4th row seeds were bought at different stores. Anyone ever get the incorrect seeds in a package.
    Yep, we got banana peppers instead of candy cane peppers this year.

Top Bottom