• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I refuse to go to Gander Mountain anymore. Same BS happens every single time I used to go in there. I'd be wanting to buy something but the employees acted like I wasn't even there or short tempered when I finally did get a chance.

Are they taking lessons from some LGSs?

Good call on Bradis - a bit of a drive from Castleton, but worth it.

jw23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    The new GM that opened here in Lafayette blows me away. Let me explain, I went by there the other day and there were so many people going in and out of there it was shocking. The funny thing is no one that was leaving was walking out with anything. Their employees get a discount and even with that discount can still purchase weapons cheaper at other local shops. they're overhead is enormous and their guns, for lack of a better term, are fingered by anyone and everyone. I don't trust it personally. They do have a very wide selection, but you pay for it. i've also talked to other people who have gone there, and have received the same crappy customer service you're talking about. it's not worth it imho, i'd rather shop online than feel like i'm being ignored.

travisbelt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    I haven't had any issues with them. I just feel, in general, that their selection is not very good and their prices are pretty high.

I was looking for some cheap .40 to run through my M&P40. I bought 100 Remington at Dunham's for $40 (not on sale), GM had the same shells in a 50 pack for $30-31.

I only use GM if it is absolutely necessary.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    And here I thought I had it bad when they took 15 minutes to find the key to the ammo case at Wally world in Westfield this morning. By the time someone found it there were three of us standing around talking about shooting ranges.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    And here I thought I had it bad when they took 15 minutes to find the key to the ammo case at Wally world in Westfield this morning. By the time someone found it there were three of us standing around talking about shooting ranges.

Funny. I went to the same Walmart about 3 weeks ago. Got there fairly early, wanted to be at the range around daylight. No one nearby to help me. After around 5 minutes i see a manager walking by and ask for help. She looks over at electronics for some one to help me, no one there. Says she will send someone back to help.

5 minutes later a young man gets there and says the person with the keys TOOK THEM HOME WITH THEM! Says they are on there way back now. So around 30 minutes or so to buy some .223.

Went to Gander a couple weeks ago just to look. Asked a young man working there the price of some PMC bronze .223, not marked on shelf. He says "I'm not sure, I think around $10" and just walks away! I couldn't believe it! I mean there was a register 30' away he could have simply scanned it and found out!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    5 minutes later a young man gets there and says the person with the keys TOOK THEM HOME WITH THEM!
    Seriously...ONE set of them? They should re-think that.

was at the Gander Mountain in lafayette , was ignored for 17 min. , went to dicks , in and out less then 10 min.
    How's Dunham's for you?
    I've found them to be super helpful in the shoe/golf/gym/soccer/fishing/clothing/etc. departments...but in the firearms area, it's pretty much Gander Lite.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Moral of the story... Don't go to Gander Mtn.
    pay just a bit more if you have to somewhere else (not likely though), plus the savings in fuel from not having a wasted trip to GM for crappy service!

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I normally CC but a few months ago it got hot so I took off my jacket and OC'd into Gander and got what I needed fast with plenty of help. Not saying it is a good idea but ...

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    gander is terrible. prices, service, selection. there's one dude up here at FW that knows his **** but i still won't buy a damn thing from em.

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    Never had a good experience with the gun counter guys. They now do the number system so at least you don't get passed over. I've gotten some good deals on shoes tho!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I've bought a few guns from GM, but have gotten to where I can't stand them. They do this thing now where there has to be a redundant manager-check on the paperwork for every gun they sell. It usually takes 20 minutes to get their attention in the first place, unless they have a real go-getter on duty. Then probably another 45 minutes to complete the transaction, including walking away from you in the middle of it, and the compulsory manager check. Their prices are bad, their selection gets worse and worse, and combined with all the red tape, it's just not worth it.

Now I only shop at the local gunstores, and I find they can do the necessary checks for the transaction and have you out in 20 minutes (that has been my experience in places like Elmore's, Plainfield SS and Beech Grove).

In GM's defense, I suspect they do get a lot of tire-kickers. One of their guys at the shop in Greenwood told me every Colts-game Sunday, the idiots get all liquored up watching the game at BW3 across the parking lot...then after the game lets out, it's "Hey guys, let's go look at guns!" So they probably get a lot of mouth breathers in there. I noticed they recently adopted a "take a number" service system, presumably to weed out some of the non-buyers.

Doesn't seem to be hurting them, though. This past Tuesday, one of their employees made the comment they've sold 400 guns since the previous Thursday (which was Thanksgiving...peak shopping season).

Never again for me, though. I'll get clothing there, or maybe fishing stuff. No guns ever again.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I have been out of town alot lately and needed a scope mounted and bore sighted on an H&R 357 for my son to hunt with.

Wife took them to to my favorite LGS. They would not do it for her ( scope was purchased from them at an earlier time). They refered her to Gander.

She took it to Gander in Lafayette. They were very nice to her.
    Two days later they called saying gun was ready.
    Rings purchased from them $21.39 , scope mounted $8 and bore sighted $8.

My wife was far more comfortable with them and they were far more welcoming to her than the LGS was.

+1 for Gander in Lafayette.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    How well was it bore sighted and mounted?
    Friend at work had a scope mounted and bore sighted at Gander in Greenwood. at the range it wouldn't even hit paper. After he got it zeroed, 1st day of gun season first 2 shoot were misses. Scope mounts came loose.

2 weeks ago heard a guy at the range telling another guy " don't ever have Gander bore sight a gun for you"! He wasn't happy.

Same thing for Dicks. The bore sighted the scope that came with my Rem. 700. I got it much closer just looking down the bore.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    How well was it bore sighted and mounted?
    Friend at work had a scope mounted and bore sighted at Gander in Greenwood. at the range it wouldn't even hit paper. After he got it zeroed, 1st day of gun season first 2 shoot were misses. Scope mounts came loose.

2 weeks ago heard a guy at the range telling another guy " don't ever have Gander bore sight a gun for you"! He wasn't happy.

Same thing for Dicks. The bore sighted the scope that came with my Rem. 700. I got it much closer just looking down the bore.

1 click to the right and then dead on. Double checked mounting before first shot.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I go to the one in Castleton. The numbering system works fairly well. But I wouldn't buy a gun there anyway. When I had questions about ammunition, I just asked a regular employee, not someone behind the gun cases, the ammunition is all self served there though. They didn't have what I was looking for ( 32 long ) but they had 32 ACP, said 32 long is an odd-ball so they probably wont ever have it in stock, but I can special order it. I am always greeted when I walk in the door, and upon leaving, even without a purchase. Better ammunition supply than Dicks I thought.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I just bought a Beretta 84F from their Coldwater, MI store. It was used and cost me $298. I have seen similar guns at Gun Shows for $500-$600. They had to send it to Castleton and I had to wait a few days, but worth it. I also noticed that the long guns are not behind a counter, but against a wall where you can pick them up and look at them without clerk help. I drive to Detroit frequently and will continue to shop here.

Top Bottom