• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Do you have any evidence that Glock sales are down? I sure as hell don't. In fact I'd bet that they are selling a lot of guns, more then ever. And they make a lot more on there guns then what everybody else does. Not to mention all the money from patent lawsuits.

If you don't like Glocks that your right. But facts are friendly. Glocks are great guns, they sell a crap ton of them, you can bet your life on them, they did change the game forever when they came to market, and every gun maker today wishes they had Glock's marketshare.

Im not some Glock fanboy that thinks Glocks are the only guns ever made, or that there are not other great poly guns out there. Glocks are what they are. What they are; one of the most reliable popular guns in the world.
    Hey bro I know what glocks are. I wasn't born yesterday and I've used glocks for a long time. My statement wasn't putting glock quality down so cool your jets before you blow your pacemaker.
    As far as evidence that glock sales are down, or have been impacted, yes it out there. Glock themselves has said the gen4 line didn't go as well as they thought and also I can look and see how popular the M&P line is and know it gave glock a run for their money.
    no. No one is gonna ever surpass glock in my opinion, unless they can offer the same quality for a $100 lower price point.
    for someone who isn't a glock fan boi you sure do throw a big tantrum over them.

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    Since the Tenifer process was invented in the early eighties the patent has probably expired so Glock should be able to use that process anywhere.
    From Wikipedia:

Glock Ges.m.b.H., an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes the Tenifer process to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 °C (932 °F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc., also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I do get a kick out of folks that think it has to be Glock's Tenifer or it's crap.

It's a trade name / protected territory issue.

In the USA, it's most commonly called Melonite. Perhaps a few have heard of it?

Also, it is not a coating. I will say, however, that Glock's parkerizing on top of the Tenifered steel is indeed quite robust.

So, unless the slides are shipped to Smyrna, GA already finished (which they may be), then they won't be "Tenifer treated".

Would a rose by another name not smell as sweet?

(That's Shakespeare for those of you from Putnam and Hendricks Co)

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    So I've been seeing seeing alot of the USA made glocks surface lately, first when TYM sold his Austrian collection to purchase USA glocks, and more recently I've come across more and more on GB...First of all, I know they've been assembled and imported to GA for quite some time now and I'm not too concerned with this issue, but do you think:

A.) Quality control will diminish (Kinda like SIG did for awhile)
    B.) Austrian Glocks will become more valuable
    C.) New Designs

I like the prospect of a "new glock" but I think it would **** a lot of people off. Here's my rationale, If Glock is now being manufactured here whose to say the possibility of a poly 1911 might be a reality? I know there are some out there, but lets be honest, if anyone could legitimately pull it off I think it would be Glock....Do you guys think Glock will change it's unified design or "Austrian ways" with the new USA stamp, or will Glock always remain Glock?

Er... Exactly what game is this likely to change?!?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I have a couple of the "American" Glocks and they seem as perfect as the ones from Austria. Easy to tell, they have 7 digits in the SN rather than 6.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If Glock sales are.down, then why did one of our INGO gun shops tell me Glock was a million guns behind in production? Which is what their Glock rep told them They said during that demand.increase when I was trying to find a Gen4G21. It was in one of the sub forums, I would like to say it was Bradis

When I found one it had a 2013 test fire date!

I don't know what the game changer is, I imagine it is for those " I only buy American products" people. I don't care where something is made myself

What did you mean by the government not allowing a Glock .380?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    why did one of our INGO gun shops tell me Glock was a million guns behind in production? I would like to say it was Bradis

I would like to say it wasn't. We have a Glock rep but we don't hear from him very much, and I've never heard the "million guns behind" figure from anywhere. Glock is routinely backlogged on their most popular models in terms of production, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be hard to find at the distributor level or in retail outlets.

Were you thinking of this post, perhaps? https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/272656-glock-shortage.html#post3881306

Or this one? https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/268838-how-far-glock-behind-orders.html#post3820209

What did you mean by the government not allowing a Glock .380?

I expect he was referring to the fact that the .380 Glock models don't have enough points on the ATF features list to qualify for importation.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not a fanboy in the traditional sense that Glocks are perfect and without any flaw and that everything else sucks, but I'll also say that the tennifer coating is darn nice. I've skipped my glocks acroos the dirt before, dropped them and given them some hard livin and they always seem to wipe off and look brand new again. The tennifer coating is good stuff and I wish more guns in the US could be coated with it.

Tenifer is not a finish. It is a metal treatment. The finish on a Glock is a separate process and actually varies a bit these days.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard of it!

If they can't do Tenifer because of EPA BS, then there are a variety of "generic" nitrocarburizing processes to accomplish the same goals that are routinely done in the US of A.

I do get a kick out of folks that think it has to be Glock's Tenifer or it's crap.

It's a trade name / protected territory issue.

In the USA, it's most commonly called Melonite. Perhaps a few have heard of it?

Also, it is not a coating. I will say, however, that Glock's parkerizing on top of the Tenifered steel is indeed quite robust.

So, unless the slides are shipped to Smyrna, GA already finished (which they may be), then they won't be "Tenifer treated".

Would a rose by another name not smell as sweet?

(That's Shakespeare for those of you from Putnam and Hendricks Co)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Sorry you are.correct, it.was.BGF not.Bradis

If it was.the regional rep, it should.be the.same.rep.you use, right? I don't think BGF was mistaken, especially.since.the thread you linked has a Glock armorer.stating.he was.told Glock was 800K units behind

The regional Glock rep was in a month or so ago and told us Glock is One Million guns behind in production. That's a full year's production!!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/beech-grove-firearms/281792-bgf-currently-out-9mm.html

Last edited:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    As far as evidence that glock sales are down, or have been impacted, yes it out there. Glock themselves has said the gen4 line didn't go as well as they thought and also I can look and see how popular the M&P line is and know it gave glock a run for their money.
    no. No one is gonna ever surpass glock in my opinion, unless they can offer the same quality for a $100 lower price point.
    for someone who isn't a glock fan boi you sure do throw a big tantrum over them.

Glocks market is global, Mil/LE all over the world and civilian. Giving up a small % of US civilian market to the M&P. Would be chump change. Compare it to British contract and the likely US contract in the future.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Er... Exactly what game is this likely to change?!?

Well, that's what I'm wondering. I mean, the only "new" products glock has produced recently has been the single stack 36, and then kinda a glock 30s....yes they have joined the ranks with multiple back straps etc. I'm just wanting to see if they will branch off into different areas. Who knows, rifles, new pistol designs, suppressors etc. I'm kind of looking at Sig as an example here. In recent years they have expanded quite significantly with the addition of new rifles, pocket pistols, 1911's, suppressors, etc etc. I guess I'm just curious to see what (if anything) new products will be born since they crossed the pond. Maybe they wont do anything at all, or maybe theyll expand vastly. It's no doubt that Glock is a name everyone knows and recognizes. If they even produced a poly AR-15 I think this would be a new era of weaponry. Obviously it's not a new idea, but again, TYPICALLY when we hear plastic anything gun related, we think Glock. While being in the states now, I'm just interested to see what direction theyll go with it.

Top Bottom