G9 9mm External Hollow Point: Overpriced Snake Oil or Underrated Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I buck the system
    9mm Underwood + P Barnes TAC-XPD solid copper hollow points 115 grain.

45 GAP Buffalo bore Barns TAC-XPD 160 grain.

45 ACP Winchester Ranger T 230 grain.

.357 Mag Hornady Critical Duty.

BBI warned me about .357 Mag it evidently over penetrants like a beast.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A lot of people have been killed with .22s as well but that's hardly an argument to carry one when there are better options available.
    Not an argument at all. I'm certain that more people have been killed in the last 125 years around this big rock with FMJ ammo than expanding ammunition.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Not an argument at all. I'm certain that more people have been killed in the last 125 years around this big rock with FMJ ammo than expanding ammunition.
    Considering that most that have been killed by gunshots were killed in wars where expanding bullets are verboten, sure... and has absolutely nothing to do with ammo selection for defensive firearm use.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    So, there is a major difference in rifle FMJ's and pistol FMJ's. Rifle FMJ's are still very potent and have been used to kill a lot of people throughout the last century. I wouldn't really feel underpowered with FMJ's as the caliber will be the greater factor in "stopping power". If I was defending the country from an alien invasion, I would likely be using FMJ or match hollow points, with the latter in a high precision AR-10 setup.

Pistol FMJ's on the other hand are a different story. Pistol rounds need all the help they can get, and it would be unwise to carry FMJ's in a defensive setting, at least for the common calibers. Can FMJ get the job done? Yeah, it can. However pistol FMJ's can over penetrate without causing significant tissue damage. I've seen plenty of situations (news reports and videos) where people who have been shot with 9mm FMJ don't even realize they've been shot all the while refusing help while their shirt becomes crimson. If in a rhetorical situation where I HAD to get shot in the gut but could choose the round, it would be either 9mm or .380 FMJ. Proper shot placement can alleviate that, however in a situation where you are two steps from death, and getting shots on target is way more important than taking the time to aim for the head, the "proper shot placement" argument becomes somewhat hollow.

There are reasons different rounds exist. .223 V-Max will absolutely destroy soft tissue while not killing the neighbor's kid, and as someone who lives in the suburbs that sounds like the perfect round to use. Regardless of my skill level, I'm going to use the best tool for the job, especially when I'm relying my life on it's performance. After all, my objective is not to play patty cake with a threat, my objective is to stop the threat.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Considering that most that have been killed by gunshots were killed in wars where expanding bullets are verboten, sure... and has absolutely nothing to do with ammo selection for defensive firearm use.
    I don't believe I said that it did.
    But for being "verboten" not really true since 1992-93
    Yep, lots of dead people in the last 100 years from fmj ammo.
    I just made this statement.

But I will ad that since about 1992 our boys in the Armed Services have been shooting

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've seen plenty of situations (news reports and videos) where people who have been shot with 9mm FMJ don't even realize they've been shot all the while refusing help while their shirt becomes crimson.

FWIW, I've seen the same with 7.62. And I've seen people cry like a bitch with a .25 in the calf. If nothing vital is hit, and discounting pharmaceutical reasons, it's shock and adrenaline overriding the pain signal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The gunfights I see are inside conversation range, even the long guns. I have seen numerous strange things happen with projectiles.

I am of the opinion to eschew "gimmicky" bullets. I want a heavy HP that runs through my guns like a sewing machine.

I carry HST.

Top Bottom