• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Here is what I don't understand, I reload .357 and my dad has reloaded anything from .38 spl to 7mm. He has never had a case crack down at the base, only at the neck or end of the case. If a case has a weak spot anywhere on it isn't it going to release that pressure out that crack which will in turn blow up the barrel? I don't think it matters that much because the bullet does have a little play where the case will have room to release the gas where it is not supposed to.

The glock guys are insisting this could only be the result of faulty ammo. So, we are humoring them but meanwhile saying even if this is the case a fully supported chamber would make this a mute point.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm just trying to understand things better. I don't care what pistol people buy its your choice and your still a gun owner. I liked the feel of a Glock better than the XD, but back to what i was talking about, you didn't answer my question.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The glock guys are insisting this could only be the result of faulty ammo. So, we are humoring them but meanwhile saying even if this is the case a fully supported chamber would make this a mute point.

Ummm, no we're not. Didn't hear all the "mass explanations" from the XD guys and their "fully supported chambers" over the XD KB's.

Everyone carry and shoot what ya like.... while we still can. :ar15:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm just trying to understand things better. I don't care what pistol people buy its your choice and your still a gun owner. I liked the feel of a Glock better than the XD, but back to what i was talking about, you didn't answer my question.

Ok, I went back over your post and I see what you are asking.

If a case has a weak spot anywhere on it isn't it going to release that pressure out that crack which will in turn blow up the barrel?

Is that it? What will happen if the case cracks in a supported chamber is the chamber will contain the pressure,the case will be extracted and ejected, and another round will be chambered. The problem is if the chamber doesn't fully support the case it allows a pathway for the pressure to wreck your gun(the pressure is supposed to go out the barrel - it pushes the bullet.)

Something important to note, I'm not necessarily arguing pistol choice here, but chamber design. I think you can get an aftermarket barrel for glocks with a fully supported chamber. You would have to verify that with one of the many glock owners around here, but I think that is the case.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Everyone carry and shoot what ya like.... while we still can. :ar15:

I understand your sentiment. I'm not saying that glocks are the devil or anything. I'm just highlighting one of the many design flaws...ok, ok that was a jab at glocks but in good humor. Anyway, I agree that we should all shoot what we like and trust. Yes...gulp... even a glock.
    I just have a problem with the "Gee, this darn ammunition blew up my gun" attitude that, meanwhile, is unwilling to admit other factors that might have facilitated the kaboom. Does that make sense? I won't own a glock because of the design problems I see in them, but I understand why people do. I would just like to see glockers admit there are flaws.

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Ok, I went back over your post and I see what you are asking.

Is that it? What will happen if the case cracks in a supported chamber is the chamber will contain the pressure,the case will be extracted and ejected, and another round will be chambered. The problem is if the chamber doesn't fully support the case it allows a pathway for the pressure to wreck your gun(the pressure is supposed to go out the barrel - it pushes the bullet.)

Something important to note, I'm not necessarily arguing pistol choice here, but chamber design. I think you can get an aftermarket barrel for glocks with a fully supported chamber. You would have to verify that with one of the many glock owners around here, but I think that is the case.

Yes, that was the question, I also thought about it some more as well as talked with my dad. He said basically the same as you, the chamber will support it, which now that I think about it, it makes sense. I just wasn't really thinking about it I guess.
    And thanks for the well thought out answer

I understand your sentiment. I'm not saying that glocks are the devil or anything. I'm just highlighting one of the many design flaws...ok, ok that was a jab at glocks but in good humor. Anyway, I agree that we should all shoot what we like and trust. Yes...gulp... even a glock.
    I just have a problem with the "Gee, this darn ammunition blew up my gun" attitude that, meanwhile, is unwilling to admit other factors that might have facilitated the kaboom. Does that make sense? I won't own a glock because of the design problems I see in the, but I understand why people do. I would just like to see glockers admit there are flaws.

One thing I will say to that is this, I don't think the unsupported chamber is a flaw, it is a different way of doing things. This is Glocks design other manufacturers are going to do things different. This leading to more KaBooms, I really don't know. There are more Glocks out there than XD's so you are going to hear more problems with Glocks. And from what I have read, a lot of the KaBooms that happened were reloaded ammo that was double charged, this would make any gun blow up.

About the blaming the ammunition, well this is my take on it. I am not going to blame the gun, because the gun didn't malfunction. Although if it would have been in a fully supported chamber, it probably would not have happened. Basically the gun may not be as strong as others to support a KB but its also a trade for much more reliable feeding. Every gun has its "flaws" these "flaws" are different between every person you talk to.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    jforrest, I respect your opinion.

Oh, and I see you have a G19. You probably won't have to worry about any KB's with a 9mm. It seems to happen much less often.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I just have a problem with the "Gee, this darn ammunition blew up my gun" attitude that, meanwhile, is unwilling to admit other factors that might have facilitated the kaboom. Does that make sense? I won't own a glock because of the design problems I see in the, but I understand why people do. I would just like to see glockers admit there are flaws.

I hear ya. Since mine are both 9mm's and I only shoot factory, I'm not worried about it. That being said, I'd still like to drop in a Storm Lake barrel one of these days.

It's only a "flaw" if you want to go against the manufactures suggestion and shoot reloads as far as I know.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I hear ya. Since mine are both 9mm's and I only shoot factory, I'm not worried about it. That being said, I'd still like to drop in a Storm Lake barrel one of these days.

It's only a "flaw" if you want to go against the manufactures suggestion and shoot reloads as far as I know.

I believe there have been several documented glock KB's with factory ammo. I don't think anyone actually asked the OP if he was using reloads; just a question about the headstamp. I would assume he was using factory ammo. mercop?

I just got an idea. Somebody should post pictures of supported/unsupported chambers for comparison. Nothing came up in a search.

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    jforrest, I respect your opinion.

Oh, and I see you have a G19. You probably won't have to worry about any KB's with a 9mm. It seems to happen much less often.

Thanks, and I respect yours also. We may carry different guns, but we still carry them!

Thanks for your insightful opinions and keeping this debate just a debate! :D

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yikes! Glad everyone involved is safe. I had that happen to me while firing an AR-15 a while ago. Oddly enough somehow the round didn't eject either, and somehow the following round came up the magazine and ended up wedging itself between the bolt and last round. Fortunately nobody there was hurt either.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I just got an idea. Somebody should post pictures of supported/unsupported chambers for comparison. Nothing came up in a search.

To what end? We've all seen pics of Glock that KB'd and also seen pics of XD's (and their supported chambers) that have KB'd.

It's still just a pissing contest between Glock and XD's.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    To what end? We've all seen pics of Glock that KB'd and also seen pics of XD's (and their supported chambers) that have KB'd.

It's still just a pissing contest between Glock and XD's.

Easy there, killer. :chillpill: Just as a reference. My comment was in reference to jforrest's question about what the difference would be when something like this happens in a supported chamber or unsupported. It might do some of us some good to see a side by side comparison of the two chamber designs.

If you haven't noticed, we really haven't been talking about some "pissing contest" between glocks and XDs. We have been discussing whether or not glocks chamber design had anything to do with the damage to the OP's gun. i.e. if it could have been prevented with a fully supported chamber.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    We have been discussing whether or not glocks chamber design had anything to do with the damage to the OP's gun. i.e. if it could have been prevented with a fully supported chamber.

I think that if this would have been a fully supported chamber it probably wouldn't have done any damage to the gun. But I also feel that if a KB happens in a Glock because of a faulty case and not because of a double charge, that this is all the damage that will happen. I have heard of cases that blew apart and basically just blew the magazine out and bent a few other things like in the OP's case. So yes it may have been prevented by a fully supported chamber, but I personally don't think its that big of a deal so long as the round isn't double charged.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I think that if this would have been a fully supported chamber it probably wouldn't have done any damage to the gun. But I also feel that if a KB happens in a Glock because of a faulty case and not because of a double charge, that this is all the damage that will happen. I have heard of cases that blew apart and basically just blew the magazine out and bent a few other things like in the OP's case. So yes it may have been prevented by a fully supported chamber, but I personally don't think its that big of a deal so long as the round isn't double charged.

Agreed. :yesway:

IMHO, I think it's a fair statement to say that (all things being the same), a supported chamber (regardless of brand) is more forgiving of overly hot loads, defective shell casings, and the like than are unsupported chambers (regardless of brand). Yes/no??? :dunno:

:patriot:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Agreed. :yesway:

IMHO, I think it's a fair statement to say that (all things being the same), a supported chamber (regardless of brand) is more forgiving of overly hot loads, defective shell casings, and the like than are unsupported chambers (regardless of brand). Yes/no??? :dunno:

:patriot:

I would have to agree, I really don't know how much more forgiving it will be before the barrel will blow apart too though. But as far as a faulty case, I concur!

Lets not forget that Glock's reason for an unsupported chamber is so it doesn't jam up with any type of ammo during the feeding process. And I think we can all agree that this is true also.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I would have to agree, I really don't know how much more forgiving it will be before the barrel will blow apart too though. But as far as a faulty case, I concur!

Lets not forget that Glock's reason for an unsupported chamber is so it doesn't jam up with any type of ammo during the feeding process. And I think we can all agree that this is true also.

That's an interesting thought. I don't know how, let's say, a 1911 or XD chamber would handle a double charge. I'll go out in my back yard and find out. Just kiddding. :hehe: Seriously though, it is great when people can have a conversation like this and find points of agreement. :ingo::rockwoot:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Another thing to think about when we are talking about this subject is too little powder. My dad saw a guy blow up his .357 because when this man was reloading his cases he somehow hit the trey holding all his shells. Long story short he didn't replace the powder in one of his rounds and instead of burning the powder, it detonated! Bent the pistol in a U-shape and the cylinder went flying 50 feet away.

With that which do you guys think would be better, a supported chamber or a non-supported chamber?

Top Bottom