• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yea true, I'm trying to find where I can find the specs inside the chamber. Anyone know? Sorry I'm kinda hijacking this

I just googled up "springfield xd supported chamber," and it confirms what I remembered from Cathy's XD. The gun does have a fully supported chamber.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    ok.... noob question but what exactly is a supported chamber and how does it make it stronger/weaker? is it because of the "free" barrel design of the glock?

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    An unsupported chamber means part of the case is sticking out the back of the chamber where the bullet gets seated prior to getting fired, in a glock this is like 1/8". A supported chamber contains the entire case. I hope that made sense?

Edit: the unsupported part is on the bottom, they do this to facilitate in easier loading so the gun doesn't jam as often

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Edit: the unsupported part is on the bottom, they do this to facilitate in easier loading so the gun doesn't jam as often

There's the rub. For glock to fully support their chamber they would have to sacrifice some of their super-duper legendary reliability. :puke:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    And you know this for a fact because you had tests done to make sure that there wasn't a defect in the metal of the ammo?

Don't need to. Regardless of the metallurgy, a brass case is not designed to contain the chamber pressure. That is what the chamber is for. Look at the picture. The case blew out at the back where it is not supported by the chamber. It is easy to blame the ammo. It is harder to admit the gun you use has a(several) fundamental design flaw.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    There's the rub. For glock to fully support their chamber they would have to sacrifice some of their super-duper legendary reliability. :puke:

By that he means raising the cost, which is why XDm's cost so much more.

If I want to shoot reloads, I have many options to choose from for a replacement barrel. If I want a match trigger, again, I have many options.

The Glock gives you a great option for a good gun out of the box for a decent price with more upgrades available than just about anything else on the market.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Don't need to. Regardless of the metallurgy, a brass case is not designed to contain the chamber pressure. That is what the chamber is for. Look at the picture. The case blew out at the back where it is not supported by the chamber.

If that were the issue, wouldn't the case blow out the back where its not supported every time a glock was fired? If it is a Glock design flaw and caused purely by virtue of the design, then the brass case would have to support the chamber pressure every time, resulting in blown cases every time....correct? :dunno:

:popcorn:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    By that he means raising the cost, which is why XDm's cost so much more.

If I want to shoot reloads, I have many options to choose from for a replacement barrel. If I want a match trigger, again, I have many options.

The Glock gives you a great option for a good gun out of the box for a decent price with more upgrades available than just about anything else on the market.

Yes, I admit it. There is an aftermarket fix for every single glock design flaw.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If that were the issue, wouldn't the case blow out the back where its not supported every time a glock was fired? If it is a Glock design flaw and caused purely by virtue of the design, then the brass case would have to support the chamber pressure every time, resulting in blown cases every time....correct? :dunno:

:popcorn:

Not necessarily. The brass doesn't blow out every time. I'm just saying that by using an unsupported chamber you are trusting the brass to support the pressure in that area.
    Here, look at it this way. An unsupported chamber helps with reliability. So, why would any gun maker offer a fully supported chamber? Why wouldn't they do everything to make their guns as reliable as possible? Maybe someone has a better answer then me, but my :twocents: is that equal reliability can be achieved with a fully supported chamber and their is a significant safety reason to support the full length of the case with a steal chamber.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Also, the wall of the case just before the rim is substantially thicker than the rest of it. It helps contain the pressures, but evidentally not 100% of the time. That round could have had a casting flaw in the brass in that area as well.

Here's a cross section of a case.
    orig.jpg

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Not necessarily. The brass doesn't blow out every time. I'm just saying that by using an unsupported chamber you are trusting the brass to support the pressure in that area.

So it is the brass that blows out and malfunctions, not the gun? Now it may be that an unsupported chamber causes additional stress on the casing therefore magnifying or highlighting imperfections in the casing?

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    So it is the brass that blows out and malfunctions, not the gun? Now it may be that an unsupported chamber causes additional stress on the casing therefore magnifying or highlighting imperfections in the casing?

Exactly correct!!! :yesway:

With a fully supported barrel design the worst you'd get with a equally weak case would be a cracked casing. And this is the issue :patriot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Exactly correct!!! :yesway:

With a fully supported barrel design the worst you'd get with a equally weak case would be a cracked casing. And this is the issue :patriot:

So, no kaboom then? Wait, are you saying that with a gun of a different design there wouldn't have been damage from the case rupturing? Again, that makes it a gun problem. That's what I have been trying to say.

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

I agree with that statement. The conclusion - if you want brass "malfunctions" to be a non-issue then make sure you have a fully supported chamber.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Here is what I don't understand, I reload .357 and my dad has reloaded anything from .38 spl to 7mm. He has never had a case crack down at the base, only at the neck or end of the case. If a case has a weak spot anywhere on it isn't it going to release that pressure out that crack which will in turn blow up the barrel? I don't think it matters that much because the bullet does have a little play where the case will have room to release the gas where it is not supposed to.

Top Bottom