• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Ok, so, I'm doing the thing I told myself I'd never do, and getting a G19. :/

Everything about the G****s is perfect, except the look, and since look is the last thing on the list of things that matter for a gun, ... I'm getting one.

I know a lot of people change a bunch of things from stock on these, so I'm wanting to know up front what mods/changes people consider almost mandatory, or "just nice" to do.

Have a Xbreed Supertuck on order. I'll be getting one with night sights for sure. I have smallish hands/fingers, so I'm betting extended slide release and such would be a good change?

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    so I'm betting extended slide release and such would be a good change?

I second this. The first thing I do if get an extended slide release in hand and install them on all my glocks. The original, while function, requires a bit too much force to disengage IMO. With the extended release, its a breeze, with a lot bigger target for your thumb to shoot for.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As has been recommended to me:

Do a youtube search for the 25-cent trigger job

Extended slide stop

and possibly, depending on your holster, an extended magazine release.

Night sights are also one upgrade that seems to be universal across all platforms.

-J-

Happyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I like them just the way they are except I agree that night sights are a reasonable addition.

If you can shoot one with the extended slide release before you buy one I would advise you to do so. I shoot thumbs forward and found I engaged it halfway through a magazine more often than not.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My standard carry package:

Night sights (I prefer Meprolights)
    Factory extended slide stop
    Factory extended magazine catch, "dehorned" via Dremel
    Grip plug
    Internal polishing (the so-called ".25 cent trigger job")

I have experimented with a lot of different trigger configurations and combinations over the years, and have come back to polished internals with a standard 5.5# connector and standard trigger spring in all of my Glocks.

YMMV.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I eventually swap out the sights for night sights, but keep the rest of the pistol stock.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I like to add XS Express Sights because they seem as accurate, but much faster to acquire than traditional night sights for me. The rest of the gun I run stock.

I don't add an extended slide release, because I've been trying to train with releasing by pulling back on the slide, so that the muscle memory is there if I swap a mag after a malfunction and the slide isn't back, etc. But the stock slide release can be tough to push if you aren't used to it.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville

Grip plug

:+1: This is my carry package exactly as well. Though I "dehorned" my magazine catch by hand with sand paper. Stock springs for me as well. I recently tried a popular 3.5 lb connector and NY1 trigger spring combo and it wasn't for me so I went back to standard connector and trigger spring.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Grip plug

Don't forget your smooth trigger faces. :D

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I second this. The first thing I do if get an extended slide release in hand and install them on all my glocks. The original, while function, requires a bit too much force to disengage IMO. With the extended release, its a breeze, with a lot bigger target for your thumb to shoot for.

This

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, just got a Gen4 G19 with night sights on order for a decent price. :)

Never thought I'd do this... but I'm pretty excited to get it in and try it out.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    before anyone gets an extended slide release, make sure your thumbs don't rest near it.

While shooting, you can lock the slide back at the worst time. Happened to me a couple of times in matches and I learned my lesson. Those with longer digits may not have this problem.

I've take them off all of my Glocks, including the G35 that came with it.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Get the gun, shoot it, & then consider what changes you wish to make, if any. I own revolvers, 1911 variants, a Sig, and a G19. I have modified nearly everything but the G19.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    before anyone gets an extended slide release, make sure your thumbs don't rest near it.

While shooting, you can lock the slide back at the worst time. Happened to me a couple of times in matches and I learned my lesson. Those with longer digits may not have this problem.

I'll second this. Of course I almost never use the slide release any way so who am I to advise on it.

Sights are really the only improvement they NEED, of course wants are something different.;) I have a titanium plunger, and polished internals, also I cleared some more room on the rear underside of the triggerguard for a better fit.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Well - picking up my 19 today. Yeah, long story. First was the distributor sending the wrong gun - twice. Then, of course, NICS hates me, so another 3 business days wasted.

Anyway - woot - getting it today!

farva118

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Lake County
    Changes for me:
    Night Sights
    Stickier grip (my hands tend to sweat, which sucks on all polymer frames).

That's all. Remember, that when the SHTF, you WILL lose all those fine motor skills (I.E.: pushing down on a little piece of steel that holds your pistol's slide open). Soooo, when the zombies are coming at you (I saw the Zombie Squad symbol), it may be difficult to send that slide into battery. Practice releasing the slide by grabbing it with your support hand and pushing forward with your strong hand.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

Ditto and if you can easily hit the extended mag release then you might accidentally hit it when you do not want to. It is meant not to be hit easily.

Top Bottom