• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Repped! I live in Fort Wayne, hate the chief and what he stands for! I personally think Paul Helmke and Rusty York are a waste of skin and air.:twocents:

I do like the Sheriff Ken Fries, very pro gun and goes out of his way to protect our rights.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Repped! I live in Fort Wayne, hate the chief and what he stands for! I personally think Paul Helmke and Rusty York are a waste of skin and air.:twocents:

I do like the Sheriff Ken Fries, very pro gun and goes out of his way to protect our rights.

Well, the Sheriff is technically the most powerful elected official in the county :D Sheriff's also take citizen complaints seriously....

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    What did the Purdue Police Chief do or say?

He said this:

PUPD Chief while arguing against allowing lawful carry on campus said:
    “When we get that 911 call and we send two to three uniformed officers and there are two or three guys shooting at each other, who’s the bad guy?” he said. “Our officers are trained to eliminate the threat. When there’s chaos, the officers aren’t going to know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    Being my first post, I don't want to start off offending anyone...but I am curious as to what is wrong with what the PUPD chief stated?

“When we get that 911 call and we send two to three uniformed officers and there are two or three guys shooting at each other, who’s the bad guy?” he said. “Our officers are trained to eliminate the threat. When there’s chaos, the officers aren’t going to know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy."

He makes a valid point. I know some departments train their officers to use extreme caution when responding to any situation off duty and in plain clothes, as responding officers may not know who they are and treat them as a threat. Knowing this, I understand his concern. That being said, as a college student myself I am a huge proponent for carry on any campus.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Being my first post, I don't want to start off offending anyone...but I am curious as to what is wrong with what the PUPD chief stated?

“When we get that 911 call and we send two to three uniformed officers and there are two or three guys shooting at each other, who’s the bad guy?” he said. “Our officers are trained to eliminate the threat. When there’s chaos, the officers aren’t going to know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy."

He makes a valid point. I know some departments train their officers to use extreme caution when responding to any situation off duty and in plain clothes, as responding officers may not know who they are and treat them as a threat. Knowing this, I understand his concern. That being said, as a college student myself I am a huge proponent for carry on any campus.
    I would say he is not a proponent. Sounds more like he wants no weapons on campus.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is Mr. York still in office?

Yes he is. But for how much longer, is dependent on next weeks election for Mayor.

As a person, I like Chief York. He just is not a "gun guy". He does enforce the law and demands high standards from his Department.

I worked for him for a while......

Darn, this is a really old thread...

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    I would say he is not a proponent. Sounds more like he wants no weapons on campus.

Are you referring to me? Or the PUPD chief? If you were referring to me, nothing about what I stated indicates that I am against weapons on campus. I am not even sure how you would come to that conclusion, especially since I explicitly stated that I am in fact a proponent of carrying on campus. I was simply wondering why previous posters had referred to that particular quote, and stated that it was reason to send the chief a letter. He was simply citing a general concern for law enforcement officers in regards to an active shooter incident.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    This is being hashed out in another thread, so I have to amend my earlier post here.

It sounds like the PUPD chief is a little alarmist, but in many ways campus police have a weird duty, compared to other police forces. They have to babysit lots of irresponsible pre-adults.

That being said, can any university police chief break with the "party" line? I suspect the argument is with the president, or the board of trustees, more than the chief.:dunno:

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What did the Purdue Police Chief do or say?

If you are talking about the IUPUI Police Chief in Ft Wayne, the current Chief is Jeff Davis. For the last cople of years.

He and I went through the Academy together in 1994. I beat him for top gun by one point. He was not happy.

If you are talking about Purdue in Lafayette, I kinda apologise for the hijack.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are you referring to me? Or the PUPD chief? If you were referring to me, nothing about what I stated indicates that I am against weapons on campus. I am not even sure how you would come to that conclusion, especially since I explicitly stated that I am in fact a proponent of carrying on campus. I was simply wondering why previous posters had referred to that particular quote, and stated that it was reason to send the chief a letter. He was simply citing a general concern for law enforcement officers in regards to an active shooter incident.
    The Chief, not you.

Top Bottom