Funny Political Picture/Video Thread Part 9** The other side is still making it easy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I'm not particularly interested in going electric for my transportation, but solar cells charging battery storage for whole house back-up is interesting in the abstract (I currently have a generator for that purpose). Two considerations temper that interest. 1) Battery technology. I am uncomfortable with batteries that can and do burst into flame, burn furiously and are very difficult to extinguish. I certainly would not want high capacity Li/ion storage in or anywhere near my house, so an installation would need to have it's own containment structure somewhat distant from the house proper to make me comfortable, which complicates the routing of the solar power to storage as well as the discharge of the storage capacity for its intended purpose. Those storage batteries need a leap in technology, not an incremental improvement.
    2) Considering that an 85KwH Tesla model S type battery would only run my whole house for 5 hrs (day) or 11 ish hours (night), it would take storage equivalent to more than 3 times that per day in a system that ideally should be capable of running my needs for several days - so 7 to 10 times the capacity of a model S, which seems physically large as well as quite costly. I don't foresee decommissioning my Generac anytime soon
    And we've all said it from Creation to breakfast and back a number of ways, electric will be great for most of us.
    We're just not quite there, yet.
    :dunno:

Top Bottom