Funny Political Picture/Video Thread Part 9** The other side is still making it easy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    Of course the vast majority of EVs don’t have to go to the station, they just ”fill up” at home.

From what I’m seeing in Austin and San Antonio, businesses that host supercharger stations are largely restaurants and grocery stores and shopping malls… places you were going to spend a little time at anyway so you just plug in your vehicle while you go shopping. Hotels will start hosting them. As they build out you’re going to see more of this. Buccees and motels along the interstate highway are going to put in chargers to use while you eat in their restaurants and sleep in their beds.

I don’t think there’s gonna be too many standalone charging station locations.

p.s. And the charging station app on your phone or in your Tesla tells how many charging bays are open andwhere the closest open ones are.
    I will agree that EV's are a solution; but not necessarily a good one.

Gotta go to the store. What do you need? Nothing. Car is low on charge. Not good.

Live in an apartment? Dangle an extension cord over the balcony to get juice to your mule? Not good.

Rich enough to be green? Have your own garage with all the charging equipment installed in or near the bay? Good.

Rich enough to be green? Have your own garage with all the charging equipment installed in or near the bay? AND, own solar cells and a storage battery? Better than good. Could be very good.

We have a guy at work with two EV's in the garage at night. His solar cells were installed prior to the elimination of net metering in Indiana. His net metering balance is estimated to be somewhere about 10 years in advance of the current day. He did solar cells prior to owning EV's. His situation is very good.

So, I can see the possibility of owning an EV. I own a house with a substantial south facing slope. I could invest in solar cells and storage batteries, but net metering is gone in Indiana. Every KW that goes up the line is lost, so it has to be storage batteries. I could see the potential of owning an EV for local use. The cost of the EV and the solar cells and the storage battery and other miscellaneous equipment? I don't have those numbers, but we are probably talking something in the neighborhood of 125k; maybe? How much FREE electricity do I have to harvest to pay that back? I think about it sometimes, but the enthusiasm to embark upon it, is quite low. Especially when both our cars are hybrids and my motorcycle gets 70mpg. For us it would be below good.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    The problem with EV's has nothing to do with money, costs, or savings (pick your favorite term). It's a simple fact that an ICE vehicle has to be driven a certain distance (250k), or for a certain period of time (20 yrs) to create a level of pollution, which we'll call "the bar".
    Just the mining of the lithium for an EV creates a level of pollution which eclipses "the bar", without even considering the coal pollution generated in the process of charging it, the damage they do to the air with their tires shedding particles, due to the added weight. How about the effect that weight has on road repair intervals, an endeavor accompanied by a lot of carbon based air pollution.
    If an EV suits your lifestyle, by all means buy one and enjoy it.
    Just don't delude yourself into thinking you're saving anything.

Oh, and if it's applicable to you, please lose the smug air of moral superiority.......
    It was always boorish, but has become exceedingly tedious.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The problem with EV's has nothing to do with money, costs, or savings (pick your favorite term). It's a simple fact that an ICE vehicle has to be driven a certain distance (250k), or for a certain period of time (20 yrs) to create a level of pollution, which we'll call "the bar".
    Just the mining of the lithium for an EV creates a level of pollution which eclipses "the bar", without even considering the coal pollution generated in the process of charging it, the damage they do to the air with their tires shedding particles, due to the added weight. How about the effect that weight has on road repair intervals, an endeavor accompanied by a lot of carbon based air pollution.
    If an EV suits your lifestyle, by all means buy one and enjoy it.
    Just don't delude yourself into thinking you're saving anything.

Oh, and if it's applicable to you, please lose the smug air of moral superiority.......
    It was always boorish, but has become exceedingly tedious.

Not to mention the planet doesn't need to be "saved" anyway.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I will agree that EV's are a solution; but not necessarily a good one.

Gotta go to the store. What do you need? Nothing. Car is low on charge. Not good.

Live in an apartment? Dangle an extension cord over the balcony to get juice to your mule? Not good.

Rich enough to be green? Have your own garage with all the charging equipment installed in or near the bay? Good.

Rich enough to be green? Have your own garage with all the charging equipment installed in or near the bay? AND, own solar cells and a storage battery? Better than good. Could be very good.

We have a guy at work with two EV's in the garage at night. His solar cells were installed prior to the elimination of net metering in Indiana. His net metering balance is estimated to be somewhere about 10 years in advance of the current day. He did solar cells prior to owning EV's. His situation is very good.

So, I can see the possibility of owning an EV. I own a house with a substantial south facing slope. I could invest in solar cells and storage batteries, but net metering is gone in Indiana. Every KW that goes up the line is lost, so it has to be storage batteries. I could see the potential of owning an EV for local use. The cost of the EV and the solar cells and the storage battery and other miscellaneous equipment? I don't have those numbers, but we are probably talking something in the neighborhood of 125k; maybe? How much FREE electricity do I have to harvest to pay that back? I think about it sometimes, but the enthusiasm to embark upon it, is quite low. Especially when both our cars are hybrids and my motorcycle gets 70mpg. For us it would be below good.
    I'm not particularly interested in going electric for my transportation, but solar cells charging battery storage for whole house back-up is interesting in the abstract (I currently have a generator for that purpose). Two considerations temper that interest. 1) Battery technology. I am uncomfortable with batteries that can and do burst into flame, burn furiously and are very difficult to extinguish. I certainly would not want high capacity Li/ion storage in or anywhere near my house, so an installation would need to have it's own containment structure somewhat distant from the house proper to make me comfortable, which complicates the routing of the solar power to storage as well as the discharge of the storage capacity for its intended purpose. Those storage batteries need a leap in technology, not an incremental improvement.
    2) Considering that an 85KwH Tesla model S type battery would only run my whole house for 5 hrs (day) or 11 ish hours (night), it would take storage equivalent to more than 3 times that per day in a system that ideally should be capable of running my needs for several days - so 7 to 10 times the capacity of a model S, which seems physically large as well as quite costly. I don't foresee decommissioning my Generac anytime soon

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We DO have an EV thread
    Yep

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%