• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I went to The Kodiak Firing Range today and rented a m&p 9 and the XDm 9 both in the full size gun. Shot them both and I really liked the XDm quite a bit more than the m&p. I was leaning towards the Smith before shooting but the Springfield felt so much better. But one thing about the m&p I thought was strange is during a mag change, if you put the mag in with some force, the slide would close and you were ready to fire. Any other pistols known for this?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    my m&p 9 does it, but it has to be a full mag and slam it at an angle. my m&p45 does it without even trying to.
    nice choice btw. my shooting buddy has an xdm, and i shoot it the same as my m&p. the m&p felt better to me though.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    If you read the manual on the M&P in the warnings it states that it will do that. My M&P did it so bad that you couldn't get the mag far enough to chamber a round before it went into battery. After Smith worked on it 3 times they sent me a nice letter that it was fixed to their standards and the warranty was complete. It really needed a new slide but they didn't see it that way, I traded it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Before you pick up that XD, you'd better try a Glock :D :laugh:

No, really buy what feels best and shoots the best for you.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would like to know how many of you glock guy are slamming in your mags trying to get the slide to go forward after my post. I am just sitting here laughing to myself thinking about it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Before you pick up that XD, you'd better try a Glock :D :laugh:

No, really buy what feels best and shoots the best for you.

I have held them many times and they just don't feel good in my hand. The guy at Kodiak even suggested shooting one. I would have but had to leave due to time restraints. I'll have to try one when I head back.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Shoot them all if you can and pick the one that feels the best to you, they all work great. i prefer Glock's but that's me. :) Beretta 92FS is a good one and or a CZ 75B, or my other love a Sig P226. :pimp:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You are really spoiled for choice in today's world when it comes to full-size 9mm handguns. Glock, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Ruger, HK, FN...the list just keeps on going. If you like the gun and enjoy shooting it then that is probably the gun for you. Some guns, like the Glock, are just easier to own since every gun shop carries Glock mags and holsters for them and the number of available aftermarket parts for Glock is amazing.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you end up choosing!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Kahrs (P9 and CW9 anyway) seem to do this routinely as well.

However, I've never had a Glock "automatically" go into battery while inserting a mag.

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    Holy Cow! I never noticed this! I've never really slammed the magazine in. I'm gonna have to try this next time I'm at the firing range. I guess you learn something new every day! This site is the best!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Holy Cow! I never noticed this! I've never really slammed the magazine in. I'm gonna have to try this next time I'm at the firing range. I guess you learn something new every day! This site is the best!

It isn't necessaryily how hard you slam it in, it's the angle that you push the mag in at the last second. A straight slap in while seating the mag won't do it, but on that final push, driving the palm of your hand forward, at a 45 degree angle of sorts, will cause it to do that. There is a small segment in a Magpul video where the instructor talks about it. My M&Ps do it easier than my Glock does. You can YouTube 45 degree magazine bump and a few videos will come up on it.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I have forever played with 1911's, in 45, 9mm, 10mm, 38 super, and .22. I have recently been looking for something new to play with and stumbled onto an AR lower that takes Glock magazines in 9mm....so i figured i would try glock again and see how it felt. My complaint with them was always the same..trigger pull and grip size/angle. Then i picked up a gen 4 g34. then the g-17 gen 4. I came home with the 17 today and i dont regret it one bit. If you are looking for bullet proof design 9mm smaller "Full size" check Zastava M-88. All steel full size (for european) pistol that is easy to carry and functions like a tokarev...since its made on the old Tokarev machinery. Easy on the pocket book too.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I haven't had any issues with my glock or hk. The last time I went to the range with my buddy that was happening to him with his Taurus. I'd take a look at the glock 17 though unless you just hate them

Top Bottom