• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    sorry but whats an SOT? a dealer or what? did he get in trouble for something?

In loose terms, a SOT is someone who can manufacture or import machineguns. And if I remember the story right, be built that thing for nothing and was gonna let his SOT expire rather than renew it.

So he burned it before handing it over. And the video is famous. BTW, AK grips can do that with enough fire, so it was a useful PSA if nothing else.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    damn im still confused after reading the NFA sticky...so basicly if i want to own a full auto gun i have to buy one made before 1986? otherwise pay a huge full auto conversion kit price and a a tax stamp...a form and an ffl license??

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You have to buy one that was registered before May, 1986. Don't even think about going the "get my FFL" route. If you are not legitimately in the business of buying and selling NFA firearms, it won't fly with the BATFE.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    PRE 86, you do NOT have to have an FFl in the state of IN to own a MG but you do have to file the proper NFA forms.. if you go through a dealer, the dealer will normally walk you through it, BATFE will let you know when youve jumped through the rite hoops :D IANAL

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    basicly if i want to own a full auto gun i have to buy one made before 1986? otherwise pay a huge full auto conversion kit price and a a tax stamp...a form and an ffl license??

Not sure what you mean by "conversion kit price." Buying a full-auto weapon as a private individual requires 1) that the gun was made and registered prior to May of 1986, 2) completion and approval of an ATF Form 4, including fingerprints and an FBI background check, and 3) payment of a $200 tax.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yep,

1. Get $20,000 in disposable income.
    2. Get someone who is selling one.
    3. Pay for it.
    4. If in state then you would need to fill out your BATF forms and give them to your local chief LEO who will do a background check on you.
    5. Once he has signed off on your paperwork, you send it along with fingerprint cards, passport photos and $200 to the BATF.
    6. Then you wait forever. It will clear just around the same time as you forget the whole deal ever happened.
    7. Once you get your paperwork in the mail, you go to the dealer who is holding the AK, show him paperwork, pay him for his time, and take AK home.
    8. Only you can have AK in your posession, and it must be with a copy of the paperwork. You can never loan it out for borrowing, ever. If it goes out to play you must be with it.

And this fun is only possible for a MG made pre-86 that was registered with the BATF and is in the list of MG's in America. HAS TO BE ON THAT LIST, or you go to jail.

That about does it.

And it is a total load, but it is the law.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    Not sure what you mean by "conversion kit price." Buying a full-auto weapon as a private individual requires 1) that the gun was made and registered prior to May of 1986, 2) completion and approval of an ATF Form 4, including fingerprints and an FBI background check, and 3) payment of a $200 tax.

thank you, its more clear now for the pre-1986 part....what i meant was maybe buying a semi automatic ar-15 and you said earlier on this thread said "sear drop in kit" and "IIRC" ? idk you said it was like 11 thousand for the gun and everything

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    damn im still confused after reading the NFA sticky...so basicly if i want to own a full auto gun i have to buy one made before 1986? otherwise pay a huge full auto conversion kit price and a a tax stamp...a form and an ffl license??

Regardless if it is a complete gun or a part, such as a registered DIAS for an AR, it must have existed and been registered prior to the '86 ban. It takes a huge pile of cash and a $200 tax stamp to legally purchase or own either. Entry-level for full auto would be something like a MAC-10 in the $4000 range. Entry level for anything other than the above is 10 years - don't even think about it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    what i meant was maybe buying a semi automatic ar-15 and someone earlier on this thread said "sear drop in kit" and "IIRC" ? idk he said it was like 11 thousand for the gun and everything

The sear itself would have had to be made and registered prior to May 1986 in order for the conversion to be legal. Since the registered sear falls under the ATF definition of a machine gun, it is subject to the same rules and regulations.

Bottom line - there's no such thing as legal cheap and easy legal full-auto, so either jump through the hoops like the rest of us, or be content to go to a rental range when you need to get your fix.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    The sear itself would have had to be made and registered prior to May 1986 in order for the conversion to be legal. Since the registered sear falls under the ATF definition of a machine gun, it is subject to the same rules and regulations.

Bottom line - there's no such thing as legal cheap and easy legal full-auto, so either jump through the hoops like the rest of us, or be content to go to a rental range when you need to get your fix.

all of my questions are now answered thanks :ingo: ....i guess there is legal cheap ..but it involves jail time :D

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    wonder what *** thought of that amendment :xmad:

Machine gun ban (The Hughes Amendment)
    As debate for FOPA was in its final stages, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed an amendment to ban the civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon which was not registered by May 19, 1986. However, any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

Controversy exists regarding the validity of the amendment's inclusion into FOPA. The vote to include the amendment took place at night, when many of the lawmakers who would be opposed to its inclusion were not present. Also, the vote was an unrecorded voice vote, which some contend was inconclusive.

Charlie Rangel (D-NY) presided over the "vote". In case there's any doubt, the "d" stands for democrat.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    that cleared up some questions I had too. I didn't realize how UNrealistic it would be to own something like that. Yes, I too, think that is total BS.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Yep,

1. Get $20,000 in disposable income.
    2. Get someone who is selling one.
    3. Pay for it.
    4. If in state then you would need to fill out your BATF forms and give them to your local chief LEO who will do a background check on you.
    5. Once he has signed off on your paperwork, you send it along with fingerprint cards, passport photos and $200 to the BATF.
    6. Then you wait forever. It will clear just around the same time as you forget the whole deal ever happened.
    7. Once you get your paperwork in the mail, you go to the dealer who is holding the AK, show him paperwork, pay him for his time, and take AK home.
    8. Only you can have AK in your posession, and it must be with a copy of the paperwork. You can never loan it out for borrowing, ever. If it goes out to play you must be with it.

And this fun is only possible for a MG made pre-86 that was registered with the BATF and is in the list of MG's in America. HAS TO BE ON THAT LIST, or you go to jail.

That about does it.

And it is a total load, but it is the law.

This pretty much sums it up, the only thing i dont fully agree with is wether the CLEO has to do a background check on you per say, he deffinetly signs off saying that he can find no reason that you cannot posess such a firearm in his juresdiction, other than that this is a very good explanation

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    This pretty much sums it up, the only thing i dont fully agree with is wether the CLEO has to do a background check on you per say, he deffinetly signs off saying that he can find no reason that you cannot posess such a firearm in his juresdiction, other than that this is a very good explanation

This^

I have walked in and handed to the Chief LEO and watched him sign it and walked right back out.

Top Bottom