• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Can anything be done to bring back neglected trees? Apple's pears etc. They almost look feral at this point. Its probably been a decade of neglect.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My dad has apricot trees that always do very well. We had cherry trees but got ride of them. They did great but birds love them and they almost ruined our garden. Got ride of the trees, got ride of the birds, saved the garden.

Birds are rough on red cherries. I have a yellow sweet cheery that I got from Stark Bros many years ago. Birds mostly ignore them. I tie pie pans (make the wife make you some pies then use the old pans) in the red one just before they get ripe and it helps with the birds. Take the pans down after the season though. It doesn't take long for the birds to get used to them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Can anything be done to bring back neglected trees? Apple's pears etc. They almost look feral at this point. Its probably been a decade of neglect.

Prune the hell out of them and keep them sprayed good. If they were a good apple to begin with, they should come back.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I plan to buy some this year as well. Apples, pear, nuts and maybe cherry. We tried two apple when we moved in but both are gone now. Not sure if deer got to them or not, they never got to the point of producing anything. We have a lot of wind out here so that might not help either.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Here in northern PA we have grown cherries, peaches, apples, plums, pears, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, currants, strawberries, and black walnuts. Everything takes much work and everything has its drawbacks. We have had much difficulty with deer - no luck with human hair or soap applications, limited luck with hot pepper. Our biggest problem currently is black bear. They not only consume the fruit overnight, but they completely demolish the tree.

We are currently overrun with bear. We make maple syrup from about 5000 taps and they destroy the saplines every year. I guess that is the privilege of working in their environment.

If you are familiar with Jerry Baker - America' master gardener he has some good info on home remedies for growing fruits and vegetables. Also, some good books from Rodale that I have used.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Here in northern PA we have grown cherries, peaches, apples, plums, pears, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, currants, strawberries, and black walnuts. Everything takes much work and everything has its drawbacks. We have had much difficulty with deer - no luck with human hair or soap applications, limited luck with hot pepper. Our biggest problem currently is black bear. They not only consume the fruit overnight, but they completely demolish the tree.

We are currently overrun with bear. We make maple syrup from about 5000 taps and they destroy the saplines every year. I guess that is the privilege of working in their environment.

If you are familiar with Jerry Baker - America' master gardener he has some good info on home remedies for growing fruits and vegetables. Also, some good books from Rodale that I have used.

Some of the grape growers around here use coyote urine as deer deterrent with luck.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Thats good to know, I really thought I was doing something wrong....or maybe just impatient, I want one of those Pears!:rockwoot:
    We still have a lot in the freezer from last year so we gave away most of this years. From the couple pear trees we have I tend to get several wheel barrows full and that's just what we can reach from the ground or shake off. It's a PITA to peel them and cut them up for freezing, would like to find an old cider press for easier processing and still need to dig a root cellar as well as start canning...just not enough time in the day. I guess there will be lots of time when the SHTF without TV and all...

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have had a small orchard for 35 years. I've settled on cherries, apples, and pears. Apple varieties that do well for me include wolf river, freedom, johnathan, granny smith, and liberty. Pears are bartlett. cheries are north star and starcrimson. I have hickory nuts and walnuts. I've planted filberts (son bushhogged them) and pecans with little success. We harvest persimmons from native trees every year if we can beat the coons,possums and deer to them. Good growing.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    We still have a lot in the freezer from last year so we gave away most of this years. From the couple pear trees we have I tend to get several wheel barrows full and that's just what we can reach from the ground or shake off. It's a PITA to peel them and cut them up for freezing, would like to find an old cider press for easier processing and still need to dig a root cellar as well as start canning...just not enough time in the day. I guess there will be lots of time when the SHTF without TV and all...

Do pears have a higher acidic level like apples?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What time of year do you prune fruit trees?

Thanks.

I prune mine in late winter. You want to get them done before the sap starts coming back up. This is also the time for the most important spray of the year. When you get one of the warm days in late winter is when I spray a mixture of dormant oil and lime-sulphur.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

Check out Rodale Books - Stocking UP Series they have some good information on root cellaring and other storing options. They list some creative ideas like using old freezers, window wells, and different methods of in ground storage. Lots of good canning and freezing tips and grain storage info, too.

The one I have is copyrighted 1986. Stocking UP III, America's Classic Preserving Guide. I would imagine they probably have a newer version by now.

Top Bottom