• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    OK. I'm posting here because I thought this was the appropriate place. Mods, please move if there's a better place.

I think the new show Fresh Off the Boat is racist. I don't think it's racist against Asian people...it is just seems like a terribly inaccurate portrayal.

As an American who's Asian, I have watched a few episodes of that show and I just think "those people don't seem very Asian to me. Maybe its because they are east coast Asian. More likely, it's because they are what Asians must look like to an Persian-American (the writer/producer). Misses the real center of the Asian experience, at least from my perspective."

But that's not why it's racist.

The people from this show keep tripping over themselves saying it is not racist against Asians. They're right...it's not.

It's racist against Caucasian people.

The Caucasian people in this show are often two-dimensional caricatures of people...though the actors of other races are consistently portrayed as three dimensional stereotype breakers.

Summary: FOTB is racist to white people. And racism against any group is still vile.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I knew this show was coming out but wasn't aware it has aired. I was interested in watching this to see how we Asians were portrayed. Most of the time, shows stereotype us as being cold, direct and cynical with distrust towards none Asians. I'll see if it's on Comcast Ondemand and get back with you.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For a long time the only sector of the society that was openly mocked was a white, church going, conservative, heterosexual, male taxpayer. I have noticed the entertainment industry now just pretty much belittles anyone who is productive.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Fresh Off the Boat? Until I read the OP I thought we were going to be talking about fresh seafood!:dunno: I guess this reinforces my opinion that commercial t.v. is **** and am gladly canceling my DTV subscription in 5 weeks!!

monosyllabic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I watched a few episodes. Pretty mediocre, playing-to-the-stereotype humor, but didn't think it was racist. I think the characters are just not well-developed but didn't see anything that compelled me to watch more episodes to see if they do develop. Wish they did more with the 90s era setting.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Siting and watching the pilot. I can totally relate to older kid and the school kids making fun of him because of his lunch. Mono, you're right the characters need to be better developed.

Top Bottom